Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: mdale13

Hey everyone! I am a student at Springfield College, in Massachusetts, now in my final year, and am focusing on environmental/prop modeling/texturing. I have come to this focus by way of a few previous paths (lighting&rendering and character design), but have finally settled on environments and props! I plan to try and keep this sketchbook updated rather frequently, and I am certainly looking for any critiques/comments/suggestions/ideas any of you may have. Please do not sugarcoat your comments, I am looking to improve, and I am sure there is a multitude of information you all can share with me :thumbup:
So anyway, here is some of my more recent work.

Medieval House:
medievalhouse1.jpg

Replies

• Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    welcome to polycount! where all your dreams come true.

you may want to post a [Portfolio] mdale13 thread in the Pimping section. I mean once you feel ready with your website.

Anyway I like the house!
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    welcome!

I like this house a lot... good work man, especially with the textures.

The roof ... is it too specular and uniform? Just a few slates come loose may help it. Are beams flat against the wall? UV on slates on side looks a bit stretched. (I could be totally wrong so pay less attention to me :)

Nice work!
  • mdale13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!

Willburforce- thanks! the stretched part is actually its own texture, its the boards on which roof tiles are added. but i agree about the roof. the house was originally build to be part of a modular housing set for a level we are building in class, but the idea was sort of scrapped.

here is some more recent work. this is pretty much where my past work cuts off, i will be updating real-time now, i just wanted to get some images up for you guys to look at:

Medieval Tower (to be added on next to the previously posted house)
    medievaltower.jpg

Medieval Stone Wall:
    medievalstonewall.jpg

Stone Wall HP Sculpt:
    stonewallhp.jpg

Barrel:
    oldworldbarrel.jpg

Blizzard Inspired LP Sword:
    swordg.jpg

Lost Temple Doorway:
    templedoorway.jpg
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) good man! ... i think the textured stone wall is excellent work, and liking the mossy textures too.
  • mdale13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey everyone, here is some work i have done for a tower i am building for class

pillar:
    pillar.jpg

floor:
    capture2w.jpg

Base level walls:
    baseg.jpg

what the whole thing is shaping up to be. the final piece will be far taller
    toweru.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    the pillar reminds me of gears of war. That guy from polycount posted up some wicked props from GOW.
  • DeusExMatteo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeusExMatteo polycounter lvl 10
    I think some of your textures are a little to bright/white - the house and the pillar are the ones that I think of in particular. Maybe it's the lighting but I would darken them down a bit and maybe add some dirt or lichen in the cracks? Also, on the Medieval Stone Wall the beveled corners lack the same texture resolution that the rest of the wall has. It looks blurry. Do you use normal maps at all?

Otherwise I like the design and look of stuff, especially the sword and the gate appeal to me. Good luck with your stuff! :)
  • mdale13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duesexmatteo- yeah, all my work is normal mapped, i would have thought it obvious.

here is a trashcan i made tonight:
    trashcanfinal.jpg

trashcanmaps.jpg