Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Matthew Beech, Environment/Objects Artist

Hey all, I'm after feedback on all areas of my website. Currently looking to land my first job in the industry (here in the UK) so need to make sure nothing is hurting my chances. The only thing I'm not too happy with is my showreel, its getting pretty dated now and so I'm tempted to take it down and leave just the gallery. Any suggestions? Cheers.

www.matthewbeech.com

Replies

• 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, nice work! I would change the Title header on your site to your actual name and not your screen name. I was really confused when I clicked on www.matthewbeech.com and it said "Matthew Beech" on the page, but the title said "LucidTurnip". That could be really confusing for anyone who bookmarks your site and tries to find it later. :)

Also, one of your thumbnails went to a mostly blank page with "In-game | Wires", which I thought was kinda unneeded. Just stick them both on one page.

Best of luck on your job hunt!
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Mathew,
    welcome to polycount. For the game art, you should straight up have it load on the engine, and at the same time make the wires an available link. The metal on the left robot render looks like wood to me but when I look at the right, it is metal, define it more.

One thing you are lacking in overall presentation is you are actually not putting your best work first, eg: the wooden storage. Beauty shots are all the way in the back? also floor is blurry, and you forgot to press 'G' :)

Things to work on: as I mentioned above, that applies also to your film work. In the zepplin render, tell us what you have modeled. Good luck, do not take this the wrong way it is a competetive industry and you always want to show off yourself the right way ;)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    When you click on your art do not take us to a blank page. Remove that and take us directly to your art.

Change Lucid Turnip to your name. Just makes more sense.

Don't hide your resume/cv in an about page. Make it a main option instead of "about me"

Those editor lines and such in your store scene might distract from the work. Could be worth retaking those images since it's so easy to fix.

I dig that wonky shack. Though it's curious that the first texture sheet is saturated while the other one is not (not talking about the specs on the right).

Art looks good, though "shot3", the scuba guy image, is kinda wtf?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    nice work. though, when i clicked on some of the game art, i was sitting there waiting for the images to show up. it wasnt really clear you had to click on the in-engine or wires... i would put thumb nails of both versions for them to click, or at least put that text in the middle of the screen with a "choose one" under it.
  • Joe Lemonade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe Lemonade polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work. And nice portfolio. I like the small tank most. It could profit from a bit more detail though. The shack looks nice too, however it also looks a bit plastic to me.
    I like the font in your portfolio. It probably make it a bit smaller though in comparison with the images. Or less standing out with a different colour.
  • LucidTurnip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. Seems the main problems are the site name and the selection page getting in the way so I'll sort those out first. I agree with everything else that's been said though, thanks again, I'll try and work my way through them.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    This link gets posted a lot, and with good reason.

http://www.thejonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

Also, I really dig the mech thing with the crate, but the wires/in engine splash page made me think your site was broken. I'd say put them both on one page, even if you have to use scaled down images and link them to the full res ones. Did you do a high poly mesh/normal bake/spec maps for that model? If so you might want to show them off.