Home Technical Talk

Motion Mixer and Non-Biped objects

I have problem working with Non-Biped Objects and Motion Mixer. If I save a segment of frames after o frame, then they dont load exactly as the original animation, but they are way off. I dont now how to overcome this problem.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really sure what the issue is, it could be a few things. Keeping in mind that motion mixer was originally designed to work only with biped and its a bit buggy when doing that. The max object addition was nice but its a even more weird at times...

Might be that all new clips are loaded into frame 0 and then placed 5 frames apart back to back after that. If that's the case you need to arrange the clips.

Might be that the scene you saved the clip(s) out of was set to a different FPS setting.

Might be interacting with animation you already have on the object or on another animation layer. You should probably clear all animation before applying tracks.

Does the same thing happen if you do a straight save/load animation?
  • markyind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the same thing happen if you do a straight save/load animation?

Yes. To be more precise, I am working with max9. If I save an animation and load it again on the same rig, then also the same problem exists. It loads the animation in different position. If I can elobrate , then it seems that it has to do some thing like biped figure mode.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you save out a clip that is from frame 100-200 and load that into the motion mixer it will start at 0 and go to 100. You will need to manually move the clip down the line to start at 100.

Also make sure you have keys at the beginning and the end of the clip. If have keys at frame 10 and 210 and save out 100-200 then the clip will more than likely not behave like you want so always bookend each clip with a key on every bone.

To test if this is the problem you can save out the animation with a key on every frame and load that, it should work perfectly, however that is not ideal because a key per frame is very hard to work with.
  • markyind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am attaching a sample file. http://www.filefront.com/14875389/scene03.max

You can save animations frames 0-30, 40-70, 80-100. And try to reload either 40-50 or 80-100 and see if works for you. And try it with Motion Mixer too.

Probably you will see some error with animation or with sample file, and come to some conclusion.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Each clip loads and saves fine for me, even through motion mixer, a perfect match to the original animation curves and all.

I noticed when I saved and loaded animation it would insert it into the time line along with the existing keys which could be throwing it off. If I deleted the keys it would fix this. However if I deleted the keys and the rig was not at frame 0 and I loaded animation it was off.

So save out the clips, move the slider to frame 0, delete all the keys and load the motion and see how it goes, it should work. If not then there is something wrong with the way max is loading and saving xaf files?

Make sure you have the latest service packs and you might want to try the trial version of newer max versions to see if it does the same thing.
  • markyind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you tell the steps when you took while saving the animations. What version of max you used. And did you load the 2nd and 3rd clip in motion mixer without loading the first clip, and did it play correctly. And attach the clips so that I can look at them.
  • grosmongol@gmail.com
    Hi,

I have some question too about the same topic, more or less.

Im student and no teacher knew that motion mixer could work with non biped object. So i made my walk cycle and try to mix it up.

1. even after editing my transition, on of my arm wont follow ( i did add it in the velocity blend)
    2. the rig dont seem to want to walk straigt.
    3. I never quite discover how to drop my mix into the timeline for rendering.

I have put my .max here : http://www.inick.ca/upload/Max_walk.zip

i have to give this tommorow, please help, i know this could work, what am i doing wrong ?
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    New question to thi topic:

How i get Clips from my NON Biped object? I have a testcube with a small move animation, add it to the motion mixer: the keys are gone, no clip appears in the motion mixer and i cant move the cube in the scene...wow!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While the object is added to the motion mixer it is in "mixer mode" and can not be manipulated traditionally, it is playing whatever is in the motion mixer.
    When you remove it from the mixer it will apply whatever animation that was in the mixer to the object.
    You'll first want to save out your animations (Main Menu > Animation > Save Animation)
    Then add the object to the motion mixer.
    Then add the animation clip(s) to motion mixer.
    When your done mixing, remove the objects from motion mixer and the keys will be applied.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    cool it works :)

hm...that means i wwould have to create 2 scenes for a walk cycle for example:

1st scene contains the walk loop
    2nd scene contains the path the charakter walks?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I understand what you're saying correctly, then yes. I put all the cycles in one scene lined up on the time line, walk, run, jump death ect... Then save out those ranges as clips and do the mixing in another scene.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    ah thx! got it running but i have a new problem and can't found stuff about it:

i have to clips which are played at the same time (on iss below the other) and only the first clip is played. if i set the weight of the top clip to 0.5, the 2nd clip is visible as animation but the first animation is played only with a strength of 50%. But i want both with 100% means: the shall be added to each other :(