Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for feedback on my portfolio

Hello everyone, I've been working hard over the past couple of months to try and get my portfolio into some sort of tangible state and this is the result!

www.carlocarfora.co.uk

I put together a printed version of this which I took with me to the eurogamer expo on Friday to show the at the career section. I got loads of helpful advice and the overall vibe I got from the various guys I spoke to was a positive one.

Before I start the big hunt, I wanted to get some feedback from everyone here and see what are your thoughts and opinions on the work and the site too :)

Replies

• saitex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi carlo

looking at your on-line portfolio I see you have some really nice solid work there I would recommend taking out the World War II Diorama piece it just doesn't stand out like your other environments.

I really like the factory environment piece maybe you can add some more small assets on the ground. thats a really nice piece maybe have some wireframe shots aswell im sure people usually want to see those.

The Sci-fi Corridor is a very interesting piece but i think you should put something on the left or the right hand side to break the symmetry.

good luck on the portfolio. keep us updated on any changes that you make.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    As far as site and layout goes that seems all and well. A lot of the content seems just a touch away from being hot.

Temple scene has a great concept with lots of contrast and depth, but your textures and modeling work is just flat and planar. If your materials had more depth, contrast and stronger specular this scene would be so much better. I'd say this is a common theme with all your work. This is likely due to not punching up the materials in the transition from max to unreal. Those Eat3d tutorial videos could be a big help for you as I think they cover a lot of these elements well.

The Dead Rogue, again, looks real “meh” in game, but I like the presentation of the buildings by themselves at the bottom. World War II Diorama stinks, remove it. Again, if you went back and punched up the lighting in the Sci-fi Corridor scene, it'd look pretty good.

I hope that factory scene isn't done yet either. It's the same thing, flat, dead materials, and if you're going to put something in the foreground maybe something better than a box. We can get more indepth with this if you want, really finish that one up.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits saitex and cholden, its that sort of advice I need to hear to push my work and learn where I'm going wrong.

Cholden, I completely agree with what you are saying about my materials being flat and I'm finding it really difficult to get the depth I want. is it down to my low poly models being too low or just weak normals and spec? I have the next gen texturing and unreal materials so should watch them again.

Should I take a step back and try to work on individual props trying to achieve the depth and life to the materials you are talking about?