Home General Discussion

New Flash game is a hardcore retro-arcade challenge!

Play GALAXY WARS for the sake of the universe on Kongregate!

This gorgeous and challenging flash game will test your hand-eye co-ordination and push your reflexes to their limit! You pilot a lone, gun-less ship who's only weapon is a magnetically charged plasma comet that you swing around to bash apart the hoards of teleporting enemy ships as you flee the solar system!

I hope you enjoy the game, it was my first effort at game design. My roommate handled all the action script and I collaborated with a few friends from school to make the art and sounds. It was build organically, starting with a basic game engine and adding mechanics and art as we went along, learning as we went.

This has been a fantastic learning experience, and has resulted in what I feel is an original, challenging, and beautiful game that will resonate well with fans of retro gaming.

If you like the game, please sign up for a kongregate account and help us get our rating up!

Thanks!

Exploding Crate

Replies

• Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I LIKE IT. Hardcore game mechanics as you said, it's hard to alive when attacking the enemies sometimes requires you to hurtle yourself at them. It's a brilliant control scheme though ;) I would love to see it adapted to something character based, like Indie Jones or Castelvania.
  • Cybroxide
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    yeah man this game is brilliant. I recommend anyone give it a try.
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome Job Paul!

You guys worked hard on this (hell..really hard) It's great to see it finally up and running. We had a good time brainstorming for it :D.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Just the diversion i needed right now.

Kinda bummed i never got to max out my ship, but that's probably because i suck :D

Thanks for the game!
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Brilliant! Any plans for this on the 360?
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    This game belongs on the Wii! or played with a Wacom. :)

Hurtling the comet around with dual analog sticks could be neat though...
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Agreed - great game, very addictive and a real challenge. Even towards the end of level two, I was struggling to keep up! The music and sound effects are top-notch, too - very retro.

Well done!
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    With a wacom this game is awesome. Can imagine it being a great game for the Wii - shame the Wii store sucks.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You sir, have a future in game design! It takes much to make me smile when playing. You succeeded.
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Damn even with a wacom I suck at this ;). It's a great game and the visuals/sounds are good too :).
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Very solid design. And the polish is incredible. Clean, with a lot of artwork. Congratulations!
  • carlo_c
    Nice job on this game guys, really fun and great to play with a wacom for a change!
  • Rox
    That was really fun. Graphics are a bit inconsistent, but who cares about graphics when gameplay is this solid? It'd be like complaining about Geometry Wars' graphics. Or Pac Man.

You managed to strike one of those gameplay mechanics that just requires doing one thing, and that thing is very easy to understand, but you could potentially practice it for days, maybe weeks, and just keep getting better and better. If only it had more levels... say... a few hundred more. Then it could be one of those giant high-score gauntlets, like N, which people still play and perfect.

REALLY fun gameplay, though. Good job!
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Really good fun! Mine crashed on level 2 though :( nuuuuuu I was doing so well.

nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu crashed again on level 4! Gets a lot easier when youve got a fucking huge radius on the comet haha!

EDIT - Anyone else find themselves wanting to do circles while browsing now?! Argh...
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This was pretty awesome. Level 4 was too chaotic and I gave up, plus my hand was starting to hurt while using the tablet pen. It's a tense game so I was really clutching it. I liked how crazy it got at some points, a lot like bullet hell shmups.

I made top 20 on the weekly leaderboards. :)
  • bounchfx
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    This is an awesome game, and very addictive. I was using a mouse, as I left my wacom at work, but I'll be sure to give it a try it tomorrow with it. Congrats!
  • TheZeke
    Glad you all liked it so much!

Consider this game to be a "proof of concept"

I am actively planning multiple sequels and am currently working on a massive plotline to connect a dozen games in different genres, from 2d space shooters to 3rd person espionage and 1st person squad based combat. I am also writing concepts for short films, both live action and animated, based around the game settings. My writing will be done within the next couple months, then I'll start drawing concept art.

My long term goal is to learn the skills needed to organize and lead a team big enough to bring these ideas to life. Two years from now I hope to have a large portfolio with enough writing and designs to make pitches to studios and independent investors.

GALAXY WARS was built organically between a few room mates with friends helping with suggestions, brainstorms, and bug testing. We put together a basic game engine around Christmas and added art, enemies and mechanics piece by piece.

It was a fantastic learning experience, and I truly appreciate just how important solid pre-production is after re-doing every piece of art a dozen times.

Watching this game slowly evolve has been an amazing experience, topped only by how excited I am to finally have this thing out there getting played!
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    wow that was fun, i havn't played anything like this! Performance was a bit slow though on my computer. I can imagine this working great on wii or iphone!