Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

VW Golf mk1

Hi, i am new here and I like this forum a lot. It's a shame I didn't discovered it before. Here is what i am working on, i thought it was finished, but looking at it again after day or two, I feel it could use some touch ups. Model has 3894 polys, and 1024 normal,alpha, spec. and difuse. Here is the model. Wires the back are a little mesy, sorry for that. :\
picture.php?albumid=990&pictureid=8211
picture.php?albumid=990&pictureid=8212
picture.php?albumid=990&pictureid=8213
picture.php?albumid=990&pictureid=8200

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely have some potential here however I think you sacrificed too many edges in the tires as they are pretty jagged. The windows also look as if someone completely egged it like crazy. I'd consider toning it down in the alpha.

I definitely like the rusting and chipping however its scattered everywhere. Try adding groups of rust and strategically place them rather than randomly chipping them off in the texture map.

The bumpers and tires look too clean as well and the rim looks like someone threw chocolate on it. Try adding layers of dirt and dust that have collected from the bottom of the tire on up. After all, it does look like the cars been sitting there for a while.

I also love the idea of using a cinder block to prop the car up, not too sure if it's strong enough to actually hold it up,but maybe some cracks would add some interest in it as well. Try adding some dirt to the headlights as well.

You're in the right direction I just think you can push it some more. Good luck!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, that's pretty cool. I like how it's up on blocks and the tyres are deflated :)

Not sure if it's just your lighting setup, but it looks like the normal and specular aren't really doing much for this, mostly it seems like matte diffuse.

What does it look like if you render it with just a flat grey diffuse texture (leaving the normal and specular maps applied)? I feel like you should have a lot more specular on the hubcaps, the lights (front and rear) and the metal parts like the wheel rims on the blocks. There seems to be no specular contrasts right now, everything kind of "reads" as the same matte material. Get some more contrast in your specular and pump it up more so that it accentuates the materials you're trying to represent.

Also I'd try to exaggerate the normalmap on the front headlights, they are very flat right now. Might just be the lighting again, I'm not sure - your ambient seems very bright, it's hard to tell where the directional light is coming from (it seems to be coming from everywhere?!).

Good work though, I think it looks nice already, and it's definitely very fresh compared to a lot of work people are doing, quite original. Just sort out that specular and it'll be perfect :)
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, fist of all thanks for your input. Pictures are actualy just screengrabs from marmoset, light can be only one, badly placed i quess, i have had problems with lightening stuff since i started. Here is a shoot from Marmoset, one with and one without difuse texture. I don't know but maybe the problem with normals is because, they are made in tangent space, but in Marmoset I have them on Object space, because i get some weird errors (wicked hard edges) with tangent space. I think i don't have fliped green chanel, because i used x+y+z+ orientation when baking in xnormal. So i am a little bit lost here. I will post updates on texture, as soon as i can. Thanks again guys.
    Edit. i just figured it out, that normal map has very little effect when in object space, but I see more going on despite errors, when in tangent space. That must have been the problem.
    73853658.jpg
    59931321.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    you can move the light around by holding shift, and change the HDR.
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, i know i can rotate the light. But I didn't know I could load hdri's, i can only open sky enviroments which came with the program. Is that what you meant, or can i load hdri somewhere else ?
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finnaly managed to get normal map displayed corectly. Now to repairing textures.
    49710761.jpg
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i like this model. it has a nice look, nice textures. some nitpicks would be the windows lookin not very "windowy" and that the headlight seems to have quite some shadow baked into them. also.. did you model the W -emblem?
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, model is fine as it is now, but some nitpicking is really good to get better. Afterall, the devil is in the details. The VW emblem is modeled in high version, but i replaced it with shalow cilinder in low poly version.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    You're almost there, though a few bits of feedback:

- Glass is still not reading. It should never look fully transparent. Some subtle reflection would be a nice touch too. The cracks right now are also too opaque.
    - Your normal map is still very flat (ie the rust spots look flat to the surface w/ the rest of the paint). This could be your lighting or you normal map.
    - Add some reflection to your specular to help sell the metal. Areas that are not rusted should pop out and have more shine than the rusted sections
    - The lighting is quite flat. Something more dramatic and with less ambient light would sell this much better.

-Tyler
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O what a bummer, i just realized, my normal map of rusted parts (not the whole car) is inverted, so that it acts like there was hole insted of a bulge. DOH. thanks for all constructive criticism, really, i couldn't have wish for more.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The tires are too clean. Whats the background of the object, is it an old car that just broke down or has it been sitting in the same place for a long time?
    The plastic almost looks new.

DSC_2452.jpg

3313184565_807826f8da_b.jpg

malibu.jpg

inishbofin_car.jpg

bottoms of doors and the rim around wheel well tend to rust first
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    yeah, lol at the brand new but flat goodyears
    other than that, I have nothing constructive to say.
    like everyone else says, the opacity of the cracks/glass and the all-over rust are the first to catch my eyes, second is the perfect plastic and rubber.
    a little bit more time on the cinderblock would pay off, if it is a permanant piece of the car.
    keep it up. :)
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried do fix everthing mentioned, i don't really know if i succed. It still doesn't look right. I did not yet fixed the windows. I am also posting my texture sheets.
    44467415.jpg
    51783899.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cracked%20windshield.jpg
    if you look at this, you see that all of the cracks are extremely thin, exept for the very middle of the bust. some have a greenish tint at an angle, and they are also all connected to the main impact point.
    yours are all very thick and are in the middle of nowhere on the glass. If you thin it out and make it do the whole spiderweb thing (connected), you should be on the right track.

oh, and excellent job rearranging the rust, redoing the lights, and dirtying up the tires, cinder blocks and plastic, though the tread still looks brand new. maybe have some wear and add some dirt.
    Great job so far, but im still trying to find out where you hid your interior textures and where that newspaper sheet belongs. :)
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that info on the cracks, i will hande them later today. Interior has a seperate 256*2 map, as i wasn't planing to do it at the begining. That sheet of newspaper used to be couple of polys on front windshield, but i didn't like it. Maybe i'll put it back on. Thanks
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    your uvw layout is pretty wastefull imo , maybe not give as much space for the wheel and other small details and scale up the car body ?
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I'd wanted to have bigger space for car, i'd had to rotate it diagonaly. But i didn't see anbody do it that way. I agree i could made it better, but i think its too late now, but will sure think about it more on future projects.
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dunno, but the rear panel should have another row of polys for at least SOME roundness. other than that i like the work itself, and yes, UV's a bit wasteful
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Just a remark on your UV's: You tried to do it like you would for characters or more organic stuff, keeping everything together with as little seams as possible and some smaller distortion all over, plus your shells aren't aligned straight with the edges of the textures. For cars I never do that, since you'll have trouble ligning out decals and lines that need to run straight. You also have the advantage of being able to arrange stuff more freely because there are more UV islands. If you'd have to do a racing version full of decals the distortion and alignement would kill you :p
    Here's an example of how I do it for cars:
    http://www.laurenscorijn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/suggebodytex.jpg
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul that is totaly true. Smaller islands would be really easier and simple with many things. I sure will keep in mind all those great info you guys are giving me, but if i wanted to repair it now, it would take to much time. I should post this car way sonner before i even started unwraping it. Thanks to all.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    It's never to late to fix uvs that can increase the overall look of your piece. Your tire is almost twice the size of the car, as I mostly try to keep things consistant to each other, maybe giving 10% of a push to something important. It's ok to have things diagonal, though texturing is a tad more difficult, but it can give large pieces like the body more pixels that keeping horizontal. Just an idea to think of, and keep up the good work.

Spark
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates. I tried to do everything as said. I added dirt allover and fixed the windows. Well not totaly, i dont waant them to be totaly transparent, but i just don't know how to do it in marmoset. Hope it's a step in the right direction.
    86121046.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, you're gonna keep having such a hard time getting glass believable if you use Marmoset: it doesn't have any support for shiny reflections like glass needs. Try using something else, like the newly released UDK (might be a bit touch if you have no clue about building materials with it), or go for my shader in Max, I've got a few tutorials on it that should get you started quickly.
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Cinema 4d. But i can't render it as good as it is in marmoset. Will try tho. thanks
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is how it looks rendered in Cinema 4d. Is it just me, or doest it really looks better? Should i call this done ?
    77883419.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    do a better background and call it done, it doesn't really need to be in an engine, just don't lie about it. I like the angle of the top render.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Do no background, just black. That's sexy.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This car is now total sex
    good job!
    Im trying to come up with a good crit, seems like youve covered it all though...
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Looks fantastic man. Excellent progression.

If you put a gun to my head and forced me to offer a crit, I would say that a car with such extensive paint damage would have been sitting out long enough to have longer windshield cracks caused by water that got into those existing cracks and then froze, extending the crack.

But I say call it done, looks awesome!
  • WesleyTack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    nice work, I just got one crit I wanted to post, not every window should be cracked as they are now imHo, maybe keep one complete? or have one broken out entirely with some broken glass left on the edge/bottom of the frame? Also, the windows could use some dirt imHo, the whole car is rusted/dirty and all the windows are broken yet nice and clean, same goes for the seats/interior.
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, lepo videti se kaksnega slovenca tukaj :) Vsekakor hud improvement glede na prve poste

I really like the new scratched paint around the car, the only thing i would want to improve is rear light definition, maybe add some cracks on it but i would also boost the normal map there, maybe some horizontal lines there aswell.

Also add some cracks on front bumper and headlights imo!

Keep up with good work!
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed those windows as good as i could, also changed some little things that they were bothering me. Black background this time, because I agree with Adam it works best for such models. sexy. Hope you like it, i will probably work on lightnng a bit more to bring out specluar more. I need to ask, are there any tutorials or something on rendering low poly thing, or does stuff from high poly apply to low poly ?
    50928582.jpg
    25372104.jpg
    And ArYeS really good to see some people from my country up here. hope to see some work from you soon !
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated pictures in upper post. I think its final now. :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good work man! I also like how you really took and applied people's crits as good as possible.
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Good work man! I also like how you really took and applied people's crits as good as possible.

Thanks man, but keep in mind that wouldn't be possible without soo many people willing to help me. I am really happy it worked out that way. Thanks again to all !
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Well add me on msn if u wanna talk, maybe i can show you some art: klemenPIKAtinaAFNAsiolPIKAnet

I really like what u fixed, but I wouldn't make it more specular... rusty things don't reflect a lot of light
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Next 0ne wrote: »
    I fixed those windows as good as i could, also changed some little things that they were bothering me. Black background this time, because I agree with Adam it works best for such models. sexy. Hope you like it, i will probably work on lightnng a bit more to bring out specluar more. I need to ask, are there any tutorials or something on rendering low poly thing, or does stuff from high poly apply to low poly ?
    50928582.jpg
    25372104.jpg
    And ArYeS really good to see some people from my country up here. hope to see some work from you soon !

Those camera angles aren't as good as your last ones, I'd also try doing a shadow, but keep the ground and the bg the same color.
  • ctrlZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that a different smoothing group at its rear corner?? please make whole body one smoothing group if it isn't.
    nice texturing. One important thing about being late at adjusting UVs. I dont know much about C4D but in max You can adjust UVs in another channel and then You can bake all your maps from the older channel onto the new channel using Render To Texture. Padding must be taken care of though.
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks ZacD, will render it with shadows and better camera angle.
    ctrlZ- I don't really know if it is different smothing gropus, as I don't really have anything like that in Cinema. I can do smooth angles, but its pretty useless, cause i can't export as obj. Why do you think there is a difference in the back part anyway?
    I could reposition uvs easily , but i think i wouldn't get away without some weird pixeltration.
  • Next 0ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is on with old camera, and shadow.
    69864094.jpg