Home Technical Talk

Animation help

Hello All,

long time looker, first time writer (just got the account today to post).

I'm busy working away at this demo reel and I've run into a issue with something that could be considered simple; I've made a series of sprites in 3D and wish to animate a walk cycle using them.

Bkc69.png

Now I know I can't simply hide/unhide each sprite, so I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. I'm currently using Max 2010 for this project.

Any assistance anyone could provide with this would be fantastic. Thanks!:)

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really sure how you made 2D sprites in 3D? Did you apply 2D sprites to separate planes?

If they are 2D sprites, you can save out the sequence to separate files Walk01.png Walk02.png Walk03.png ect... and then load that into a map slot. The trick is to check on "sequence" when you're picking the bitmap image. Apply that texture to a plane and you should be in buisness. It will play in a loop.

Or you could save out an image strip like what you have, and animate the UV's to shift down the plane. Once you get to the end you can go into the curve editor and set the "out of range type" to loop and it will continually play that cycle.
  • Sylver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, I should have clarified; they are 3D. I exported the paths via .ai file and extruded them out.
  • Sylver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    found an answer! go go dope sheet. thanks for the help all, I'll show my progress shortly.