Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Ibrahim Wahab | 3D Artist

Ibi
Ibi
So, erm... whatta ya guys think? Good enough to start applying for entry level 3d positions, or not quite there yet? Or shall I just take the fact that I was recently awarded employee of the month at my local supermarket as an indication of a possible future career in the retail industry?

I can see it now... walking around the shopfloor in a shirt and tie, counting bottles of milk for stock check as the irritating phrase "Focus On Availability" repeats itself like a cancerous mantra. Working 9-5, until eventually your soul becomes hardened like a concrete block of grey nothing and the word hope looses all its meaning, suffocating under the crushing weight of retail management... So, erm, ye whatta ya guys think?

http://www.ibrahimwahab.com/index.html

Mainly looking for crits of the work, rather than the site itself and also I wasn't too sure if I should include my high poly work too (the last three thumbnails).

Cheers.

Replies

• Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good texture work. But I think that quality of pictures is superfluous. 560k for image size 900x1135 it very big
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work however I highly suggest optimizing your image sizes, they take quite a bit to load.
  • Ibi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ibi
    what kind of file sizes should I be aiming for? Or is that one of them - "how long is a piece of string" questions?
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    I like your work and also the simplicity of your portfolio. You seem to have a good all around body of work, some hardsurface modelling, some sculpting etc. Good luck. :)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    yeah the images chug along man
    Delete the space invader imo
    the modelling is pretty much nothing special compared to the rest of your work, which is all nice :cool: as an art piece on its own it might stand up but as a testement to what you can do its pretty lame.

Presentation is nice
    I'd like to see some more close ups of the royal exchange, maybe, as it looks pretty impressive.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    whatta ya guys think? Good enough to start applying for entry level 3d positions, or not quite there yet?

You are ready, go forth and apply!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been great seeing your latest scene develop, awesome progress and the portfolio is great. Good layout and solid content, its ready to go like Josh pointed out.

I really like the night hawk drone, fantastic.
  • Pearson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff! As has been said, you are definitely ready.

For file sizes, if you save them as .jpg at quality 8, you should be fine and you'll cut the size quite a bit.
  • NoltaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
    Hey man, You've got some solid work! I agree with what everyones said. Also another nice way to reduce file size use "save for web" in photoshop (if your using it) Control + Shift + Alt + S lol long hotkey.

Please keep us up to date on your employment status. I've been curious as to where my work needs to be to gain entry into the industry aswell.

Good luck!!! best wishes!
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    In similar position at the moment. Having no experience in gaming industry makes me look for positions at local Tesco and even there they are not really impressed with my modeling skills because they are really looking for someone with retail skills not 3d/art skills.
    And the fact that most of job ads are for senior/lead/experienced positions makes me start to practice my shelf filling and burger flipping skills.
    But have to agree with others - great improvement overall. Didn't have any problems with image loading though.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    My god, you're actually good, you fool! The first time I hit your link, I didn't bother because of the thumbs. But after going through your work, I can see you have good work!

lose this, it hurts your shit: http://www.ibrahimwahab.com/gallery/pulse.html
    ditch this as well: http://www.ibrahimwahab.com/gallery/pixel.html (maybe use it in the header or something if you want, but that isn't a folio piece. Just stretch your other thumbs out a bit. Show only good work. One Bad will make two Good, invisible. So in essence, you're actually posting less when you post Bad pieces.

The top left is what I'd assume would be your show piece, your best. The picture and piano scene isn't that bad, but it isn't as good as your other work, such as the Royal Exchange (even though it isn't textured, it's a much more impressive piece imo). Or the APC Military Vehicle or Ferrari. I think you should move something better into that space.

The thumbnails aren't very interesting. I'd pull something from this image for the picture and piano scene for its thumb: http://www.ibrahimwahab.com/gallery/pitcher/pitcher_1.jpg
    The textures aren't very impressive up-close, the scene looks much better from afar like in this shot.

For the household props piece, I'd show the chess table in the thumb so it's more interesting. You have very good work, keep it up and good luck!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    haha, i did the same thing as kp. Your thumbs are more boring than they should be.
  • Ibi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ibi
    Thanks for the comments all :)

@vig: cheers mate, you've given me some useful advice on the pitcher & piano scene that's helped me out a lot
    @kp: Thanks.. i've re-adjusted some of the thumbs and got rid of the pixel invasion image (i'll save that for my deviant art page :P )

All is left to do now is put together some sort of covering letter and start emailing some companies.

Also what do you guys think of my cv - http://www.ibrahimwahab.com/documents/CV_IbrahimWahab.pdf

I've left out the college and secondary education and just listed the degree. Regarding the employment history, I don't have any relevant experience and I'm reluctant to add my three previous jobs (in retail) to the cv, as it feels like padding, but also I'm concerend that anyone reading this will think I've been doing nothing since i graduated.

Is there any point in applying for positions that also ask for experience? Or would it better sending a general vacancy enquiry for junior/internship roles? Should I tie my hair back into a ponytail? Why do birds suddenly appear? Is there really such thing as the "pedo smile"?...
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Ibi wrote: »
    Is there any point in applying for positions that also ask for experience? Or would it better sending a general vacancy enquiry for junior/internship roles? Should I tie my hair back into a ponytail? Why do birds suddenly appear? Is there really such thing as the "pedo smile"?...
    yes, yes, feel free thats what I did, because they are lovely, and yes.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol@ "highly self-motivated team player"