Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warcraft Underwater Mount

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
Refined last idea. Decided on underwater mount for WoW, so kept the polycount low. This is my second attempt at hand painting textures, thought i'd go back to this model to do it. This is also my third UV map, so i know it can be optimized a bit.

my concept:
seacreature2.jpg

And first run at base textures with SOME details. They're all obviously layered, so assume changes to some base colors and later a few overlays.
sampleu.jpg

EDIT: Picture wasn't showing up

More detailing also incoming.

Replies

• ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here are wires
    wires.jpg

1562 Tris
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    as far as the texture goes, i'd refrain from using pure black if you want to do something like the painter style from WoW. Try using a darker less saturated purple maybe to balance out the greens and blues
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The seperation between body segments also pretty much ruins suspension of disbelief for me. Maybe connect the segments, instead? Or at least stretch them so they actually make contact with each other and intersect a bit.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cybroxide i'll turn down the black, i agree there. hopefully you'll see what i was doing with the purple in my next post, though your argument might still stand.

valandar, i'll keep that in mind. however it is how i designed it. maybe with further texturing it'll show through more that the head is a sort of armor/carapace type.

i'm not so much concerned with suspension of disbelief so much as attractive and entertaining characters. this is a warcraft design, after all. dragons can be made of floating bone segments and a character can be built like a tank with feet like an ant. doesn't really matter too much.

however, consider your post duly noted. there may be an adjustment incoming to help smooth this out