Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Content Required for 3D Networked Game

Hi, we are creating an MMO engine, for a proposed game. The game will be a cross between social networking, and a typical RPG. Initially, we hope to raise cash through a browser based "test" world, which would contain a town and alot of scenic free space to wander round in. There would be casual game play elements at this point, chat, and some AI (we hope to use this as a test bed for AI development.

Getting the code together for the initial world is quite a way to being done, apart from AI. We may deploy the test world with simple AI and pathfinding initially, and then upgrade as systems are developed and tested. Pathfinding is an area we hope to develop to a higher degree, using adaptive algorithms to allow for dynamic content in the world. We also wish our AI to have an emotion system (forgetfullness, saddness, happiness etc.) which we already have planned out.

Basically we hope to add features to the test world and test as they are being developed, kinda like an open Beta. Money will be made through advertising on the site, we hope to break even and maybe make a bit which we can channel back into the modelling.

Initially, we are looking for three modellers and one or two texture artists who have a bit of spare time, to create buildings for the world, and clothing for avatars. The avatars will probably be purchased from http://www.evolver.com, maybe four base meshes that can be morphed between in the game for unique character creation. We will need these meshes clothed, and possibly culled. The meshes from Evolver come in high, medium and low polycount, and a crowd option too for LOD. Obviously, if you have a good mesh, male and female, you'd prefer to work with, that'd be great.

Technologies we are using:

Rendering : Ardor3D http://www.ardor3d.com

Ardor3D is a next gen Java scenegraph, which is very efficient. We were using JMonkeyEngine, but Ardor is way faster, and less clunky. Ardor is a new technology, and we are limied at this point by the lack of character animations. This is being developed presently, so should be out in the new year.

Networking/Database : Project Darkstar http://www.projectdarkstar.com

Project Darkstar is networking and database code which automatically load balances (or will in the next couple of months) MMO game play, intelligently clustering players based on what they are doing in the world. It is a great technology, and very easy to develop with. It allows for possibilities such as a shardless world for all players, low server startup costs, and high resource usage, meaning no wasted servers. It will ideally fit our project, allowing us to deploy a game on a single server, and grow to fit our needs, all without interrupting gameplay.

We are looking for modellers who have some experience, and maybe have a bit of time to spare, to work on the test world, and get this running quickly. Once this is achieved, and we get some cash flowing, we would like to be able to pay you for continued work, and if funds allow, reimburse you for the work you have already put in. This obviously all depends on how many players we get coming through our servers, but we expect to be running two servers at high capacity after some careful advertising.

If you are interested, please respond here, and I will pm you our email address, or pm me here of course.

Replies

• D.Woope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have done Google, checked the ESRB site, searched the forums, and looked through the site for games with it. I cant find any content descriptors the ESRB things on the rear side of the box that has details that have a T rating with:
    -Mild Violence
    -Mild Language

With the "Game Experience May Change During Online Play"

Does anyone have one or know where I can find one?