Home Technical Talk

normal map issue

Hey,

I'm having this issue with the normal maps on my gun, they exported correctly and my uv map is correct as well, i tried reloading it over and over again, reopened my lowpoly and reload the uv's as well, restarted max several times and did about 10 new bakes, does anyone know what the problem could be here? thanks in advance!
39868387.jpg

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Not a 3DS Max user, but looking at the handle it looks like it's using the wrong UV channel. Check your baking options and what UV channel is current and the target.
  • kjell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nop mate, it seems correct
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Kjell, I'm still sure you're doing something wrong there; Just send me the file and i'll have a look, because it's hard to say with just that one screenshot and you claiming that everything is set correctly.

Otherwise, I'll go over things:

-You need to set render To Texture to "use existing channel"
    -You need to make sure the exisiting channel used is channel 1
    -You need to delete the automatic flatten UV's modifier from you lowpoly mesh
    -You need to make sure you unwrapped your lowpoly into channel 1: set the unwrap modifier to channel 1 and collapse to make sure
    -You need to rebake your normalmap with all settings set correctly.
    -You need to make sure that the normalmap is set to use channel 1 in the material.

EDIT: I just took a peek at Kjell's file, pretty much all of the above was wrong and needed to be done, so i fixed it.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    kjell wrote: »
    nop mate, it seems correct
    Well, it was bum UV's after all :D. Glad it was fixed!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well and u have a automatic flatten UV's modifier on, you should never use that unless your doing a quick test rip for some reason.