Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Small town Shopping Center

Hi everyone, this is a small tourist town shopping center I've been working on. I'm thinking of applying texture to it soon but before I do I would like to know if anybody has any suggestions on where I can cut down on the polygons. Eventually I would like to use this in a demo reel. I am open to any suggestions.

[URL="file:///C:/Users/Galactica/Desktop/small_town_shopping_center.mov"]file:///C:/Users/Desktop/small_town_shopping_center.mov[/URL]

Oh, sorry for the inconvenience, try the following link instead.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WY1-2_Yq7E[/ame]

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You can't link directly to things on your hard drive.
    You will have to upload this .mov file to some sort of file hosting service if you want people to be able to see it. You may be able to convert the file format and put it up on video sites liek Vimeo or YouTube, then link to those.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
  • Painbringer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painbringer polycounter lvl 17
    Preety nice job mate! I've written down some critique for you here:
    [URL]file:///C: \losers/noob/Desktop/AWESOME_CRITIQUE.txt[/URL]

peace :D
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to the internet!

I suggest Vimeo btw :)

www.Vimeo.com
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Poor geezer, needs some simple lessons in computer use methinks.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will also post some still images up with some textures I'm thinking about using.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice.
    About putting it in a demo reel im not to shure as its pretty obvious that this is from
    a (digital tutors?) tutorial dvd :D
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far, nice detail in there. The only thing that is really sticking out is the wires that go over the from one roof to the next are curving unnaturally, between two hanging points it goes up and down multiple times when it should just bow down and once in between hanging points. Unless it's not supposed to be a wire but other wise I can't tell for sure.
  • kickzombies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kickzombies polycounter lvl 17
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    remove edges that aren't deforming the geometry. you have a lot of extra horizontal and vertical lines going though your buildings that you can remove. Specifically going though the window @0:18. Also the bricks @0:10 on the left hand side can just be squares, they don't need to be subdivided that much if you aren't going to get close enough to see it.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    the bricks at the bottom of your bride have way too much geometry. they each really need only one face. you can detach them from one another if they're connected, and that will allow you to use 2 tris only per face.

shingles look a bit high as well.

something else i noticed were the fruits in the basket, seemed a bit high polycount.

edit: and the bricks on the corner of your building. you get the idea. fix anything like that.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Zotter, yeah I agree with the hanging of the wires. I was kind of wrestling with myself over how to let them droop but still have a certain uniqueness to them.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your suggestions Jet Pilot. I will remove those line as soon as I can.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Ralusek for your suggestions as well, I agree I do need to clean up the scene more. Also thanks for reveiling some of the specific areas to me.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice desktop username, I approve of it :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    now that you've modeled it trash it and create something unique, you wont get any props from folks using the digital tutors tutorial in your portfolio. It's great for learning but now that you've learned some stuff put it to work on something of your own.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I admit I used many concepts from the digital tutors tutorial but as you can see I've gone far beyond where the tutorial left off. For example In my scene the buildings are modeled and have actually modeled furniture inside. Where as the tutorial just had one well modeled building and the rest were paintings in the windows and in the background. I do gotta give credit to DT for helping me start the scene but I believe I have taken it far beyond just copying a tutorial.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i see your point... why don't you just create a different scene and use the interior props you made in that scene instead of this one? that way it is not all of a loss... i would follow Dekard's advice... showing any tutorial in your folio degrades your experience level in my opinion... not matter how well you executed the subject matter, or went above and beyond the tutorial... it is still someone else's tutorial....wouldn't you rather have a piece in your portfolio that says "hey, look, that's really nice, and I came up with it and made it completely on my own".... ??? pull from different reference, get some ideas, start compiling and build up a fresh new scene.