Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Goshawk

Hi, this is my game character. I did the modeling, rigging and animation. It was a good practice for me.
This is the first try. I hope you like it. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
I will come up with different styles of game characters.

Goshawk animation : http://vimeo.com/7352009

goshawk_01.jpg

character_texture1600.jpg

Low Poly
goshawk_polycount.jpg

Textures
goshawk_textures.jpg

High Poly
goshawk_cgattack1600.jpg

goshawk_face.jpg

Replies

• DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    That is a ton of empty UV space.
  • jamoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did this model for practicing. That's way I didn't work detailed for UV map. ;)
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    jamoka wrote: »
    I did this model for practicing. That's way I didn't work detailed for UV map. ;)

people do say practice makes perfect, but musicians tend to have a different saying. Perfect practice makes perfect. This holds true for art as well. If your doing something for practice you really should practice doing something as perfectly as you can. Allot of people who are new tend to want to rush to get a finished product and tend to just throw stuff together. I'm also have problems with this as well. Try to resist the urge and put time and effort into everything. You will get better faster that way.

Currently i'm having a hard time seing the model and texture. Seems too dark to me but it could just be my crappy work monitor. It looks like you didn't throw a spec map on the character. this tends to make models that have a normal map have a pastic like feel to them. You mentioned that this was your first model? if so you may want to try some lower poly count non normal mapped models. something like these -> http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=41232
    they take less time and effort but you can learn quite a bit about 3D from them.

I like the head on your model quite a bit. Kind of a cross between a cartoony look and a realistic look. Keep at it and lets see what you can come up with next.

(note: i'm at work and videos are blocked so i can't really look at the animation yet.)
  • jamoka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your comment.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    man_o_mule wrote: »
    ..... musicians tend to have a different saying. Perfect practice makes perfect. ......

Best advice you will get (above).
    Maybe also work on the base form. If the anatomy improves everything will. Nice figure. I see he has 2 swords stuck into him though.

Cheers