Home Technical Talk

Anyone use an Ethernet card to connect broadband

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
So my onboard motherboard Ethernet stopped working, so I installed a Mircosoft Gigabit Network Adapter.

Everything works fine, except it won't boot unless I do Shift+F10 to manually get it to configure itself each time , so every boot, I have to quickly press both keys , otherwise it'll just sit on the boot screen.

Anyone else had this? Probably a rare issue, not sure if it's trying to network boot or what - I only installed the drivers for the card, haven't set-up any network stuff.

The Ethernet plugs straight into the modem. :poly127:

Replies

• SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe you need to look into your Motherboard BIOS settings and disable built in network adapter, then look in the boot sequence if is there anything related to external network adapters. Just a shot in the dark.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Hmm, yeah, can't see anything obvious in system.ini boot.ini and win.ini - will have a look at the boot menu. Thanks dude! :)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    Hmm, yeah, can't see anything obvious in system.ini boot.ini and win.ini - will have a look at the boot menu. Thanks dude! :)

Which 'boot screen'? POST?

Shift + F10 to configure it in what, the BIOS?

If yes to one or both of these, the win.ini, boot.ini etc are meaningless, since you're talking about issues before windows starts to load. Are you saving your BIOS settings after configuring everything? What exactly needs configuring and what are you changing?