Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crash Site...

Hi all -

These images, my first post on polycount, are my take on a concept done by a friend of mine, Michael Pedro. I would love to hear what everyone thinks!
  • max
  • mudbox
  • unreal ed3
  • photoshop

CrashSite01_old.jpg

CrashSite08_old.jpg

CrashSite09.jpg

Replies

• jimmagill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, here's a link to Michael's original concept:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=705526
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    the warm light in the concept adds so much to the scene, your environment is too blue. And the corners and under the cat walk could be darker. Whats the tri count? Looks pretty decent though.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I think the variation from the concept that ZacD mentions is more a result of you changing it from a night scene, to a day scene. I don't think it's all bad, but a lot of the detail in those corners does get lost due to the muddy blue light.

Maybe make the light from the craft have a greater effect on the surroundings, but otherwise fantastic work.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    jakelear wrote: »
    I think the variation from the concept that ZacD mentions is more a result of you changing it from a night scene, to a day scene. I don't think it's all bad, but a lot of the detail in those corners does get lost due to the muddy blue light.

Maybe make the light from the craft have a greater effect on the surroundings, but otherwise fantastic work.

didn't realize it was a day scene, if it is the light coming in should be more intense.

1019924909_3211869e5b.jpg

Farcryhdr.jpg
  • jimmagill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear wrote: »

Thx, jake. I've learned the lesson today that if you're going to follow a concept that loosely, it's better to not include it :) I agree with your thoughts on the ship affecting the scene around it a bit more and will work on that a bit as well as the muddy blue light.
  • jimmagill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick stab at addressing lighting feedback with a new scheme. Let me know if this is closer to what you'd expect.

Thx.

polycount_wip-0001.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I don't know what those crystals are, but I LOVE the way they look!!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I like the new lighting scheme much better - it complements the colors of the craft much more effectively, and the stone textures look better with that color lighting. Awesome.
  • MattBradley
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new lighting nailed it, nice work!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work, the lighting definitely looks much better. I still think you can bump up the warm colors in the areas the sunlight is directly hitting. Breaks up the now saturated look you have going.
  • nonentity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nonentity polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good!

Really, the only thing that stands out to me is that the green reflective material on the crashed ship seems not to be cemented into the environment fully. Like, I want to see some reflections from the dirt and wreckage where it meets the floor... somehow make the environment around it effect its surface a bit more in lighting and reflection, bounced light from the green onto the world around it a bit, like green caustic light bounced off of it, if that makes sense. Some ambient occlusion around where it meets the floor. You can bake this out from max and apply it in the shader (probably) as a multiply node in the UE material editor. Oh how I miss UE3 material

You have great light coming from the fires bouncing on the env. around it, it would be good to see light interplaying between the ship and the room as well to really cement it into the space.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Way to go like the newer lighting a lot better!

Though, the crashed ... alien space ship? Well its hard to see and read what it is I can't tell if its busted up at all (which after a crash like that it should be). Is it a shield or a alien type of metal that is giving it that look? I'd tone down the spec/reflective just a bit so we can see the thing a little better.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    much better!

awesome stuff
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Meh, I liked the first lighting better. The new lighting gives the feeling that the crash happened many years ago.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    I would agree w/ keen. The first round of lighting also pushes the idea that this alien element is not from this planet. Your new lighting scheme brings the two together much more, but may not be a good thing.

Texture work overall looks pretty good. It's still missing that last tiny bit for me. Maybe its raining, water is pouring in through the roof hole? Maybe it's winter and there is ice and snow, and this object is super heated and melting it?

Also, at the base, where your alien substance meets the concrete rubble, spend some more time blending it or created a stronger contrast between the two surfaces.

Good work.

-Tyler
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    wow this is very impressive and inspirational, Good job!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    pods crashing down is the new trend it seems!
    Very cool scene, I really like the material on the alien thing!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Meh, I liked the first lighting better. The new lighting gives the feeling that the crash happened many years ago.

I'd have to disagree with that. Does the vivid blue sky indicate that the crash happened recently? If so, how? Perhaps the craft could be giving off more incandescence to indicate the timeline of the incident, but I'd say that the adjusted lighting and color scheme works a lot more effectively in terms of the overall environment. Aside from the initial vibrant difference in the colors, there's not much else to indicate the timeline of the scene.

Perhaps you could add some very subtle smoke or steam to indicate the high-velocity impact. Maybe some of the rubble could be slightly smoldering or something, but I'd say it's much better with the secondary lighting and color scheme.
  • jimmagill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for all the excellent crits so far. I've pasted every word from this thread, plus every comment from friends into a doc and I'm working my way through.

In this version, I've made a pass at the following:
    • quickie godrays (many requests for godrays :) )
    • added some out-of-the-box unreal spark fx
    • toned down and desat'd the ship reflections
    • turned the bounce light down a bit

Coming end of weekend-ish:
    • crashed version of the ship (many requests for this)
    • a *ton* of subtle polish ideas (too numerous to mention, but all cool)

Thx again everyone. What I love is comparing what I had pre-polycount and what I have now :)

polycount_wip-0002.jpg
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    Really loving the latest version of this - the crits have been spot on so far. I'm looking forward to seeing your final version.

EDIT: Formally requesting wires and flats also :)
  • jimmagill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working through feedback notes...
    • wrecked version of ship/ship mat and debris
    • moved stairs back a bit
    • added falling columns to help direct the eye to the ship

polycount_wip-0003.jpg
  • Zeta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That final result is fantastic, great progression.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    First image had much more depth! And made more sense story-wise.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    agreed^^^^
    the second to last is best.

would hate to walk through this env. get stuck on everything ;-)
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Haha, definitely need to get a tetanus shot before running around there.

Looks great!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I really like the one from post 21. You shouldn't destroy the ship as much as you did in the last one, because visually it's not as interesting (imo). I also don't think you need to move the stairs. I didn't find them distracting at all, if anything, they help to draw your eye immediately to the ship. I really like the more subdued reflections on the ship as well.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, + it's just more of the same brown muddyness now like too many other scenes.
    First one had much nicer colours, though I'd say don't go overboard with incorporating everyone's feedback, it's your piece :)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i think you should try to emulate the lightning in the concept, its strong and states something , right now its a tad noisey and the spots where you can focus your eyes seem pretty random , like the bright parts that are scattered around the ship , this has potential , but so far great work :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    jimmagill wrote: »

polycount_wip-0002.jpg

this I like ^
    I can tell whats going on. Your other image made no sense to me.
  • jimmagill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoa! Many opinions on which way to go with this! Keep 'em coming :)

Well, when this is wrapped up, I'll have loads of 'final' images to choose from.

Speaking of, here's another:

polycount_wip-0004.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Cool! Coming together nicely :)
    Give it some AO love.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say I prefer your first image, the contrast between the craft and its surroundings is excellent.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I also preferred the first one. just looks more vivid.
    not saying the blue could n't be broken up a little though
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    still prefer the un-smashed ship, it sticks out more from the environment, which is what you probably want as its alien,

also why are you up-lighting blue?
    the way i look at using bounce light is that the down ambient should represent the colour of the sky (desaturated a touch esp if you have a near pure blue sky) the up-ambient should be a de-saturated version of the direct colour

looks at the white dirt on the bottom of the car here, the up bouce light is almost the same colour as the direct light, desaturaing it allows for different materials different materials muddying the colour of the bounce light.
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/186734513_c065242e15.jpg

ps this looks ace
  • jimmagill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions, guys! As those of you that have followed this thread have probably noticed, I've been all over the place with it :)
    Hopefully with this one, I've found a nice resting place in between the ship crash extremes.

I'm pretty happy with it at this point.

polycount_wip-0005.jpg
  • jimmagill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a view from a different camera I had saved:

polycount_wip2-0001.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Now that fucking reads!

I didn't even notice half of the details before, so much better!