Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] PixelMagus

Hello, I am PixelMagus, I've put together my first website for my online portfolio. I'm a 3D art hobbyist not currently in the industry but it is my dream to actually work in the industry. It may sound cliche but my passion is my strongest drive. Anyways, if anyone has the time could you perhaps look at my portfolio (still alot more work to be put in, alot more.) and see if navigation, simplicity and all that is in check.

Edit - As I stated I am going to be bringing out more work and this will be focused on scenes. A friend told me that it's always good to put in a scene or two comrpised of many props and stuff.
www.th-gameart.com

Thank you
-PixelMagus

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    It's very beginner work here so just keep making stuff because you've got a long way to go. I'd suggest getting on a mod that'll have you pumping out tons of content or make your own game map (scene for smaller scope).

Also look at how real resumes are presented.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the site. Isaac oster style. (He gives you the source files via his site)
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You had a few pages on these before?

*random kitty pic* :D
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    You had a few pages on these before?

*random kitty pic* :D
    Yeah, Disco, I am LomChaos. I'd like to make a fresh start. : )
    So, I'm gonna keep working hard. Chris, thanks for the crits. I do need a lot more work.
    (UPDATED- with WIP section)
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    PixelMagus wrote: »
    Yeah, Disco, I am LomChaos. I'd like to make a fresh start. : )
    So, I'm gonna keep working hard. Chris, thanks for the crits. I do need a lot more work.
    (UPDATED- with WIP section)

this is lol. decided that being a dick wasn't the best way to make friends?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    your images load INCREDIBLY slow
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    ralusek dude, back off. If he has a new account then leave him be untill its deserved. A bit of humor is fine but keep it friendly.

PixelMagus, I suggest you finish that knife. So far its your best asset and its not complete. Low poly, bake normals and texture that sucker. Its also not a bright idea to make a new account and tell people that its you lol....
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar, thanks. And actually I wanted to see what type of person would figure it out and what a persons reactions reacction to it would be. I wanted to see what somone would do even when my first posts on this account where nice. When I finally shown my portfolio and site (which was the transition from Carbonmades service to my own site) it was,in my opinion, nice and short. Straight to the point. The person that choose to react badly to that was Ralusek. But he is right in his post, to react that way. A test, if you will.

Anyways, back to the 3D :) (It will also be extremley exciting and fun to watch if flames decide to grow)
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PixelMagus, well I like how all your art is on the front page and is easily accessible.

Though I think that all the images on the left side of the page are not the best layout for a page.

Like autocon said your images load quite slowly (make sure you convert your images into web ready images in photoshop, doing so by clicking save for web and devices in photosop instead of just saving right out.) If you already know that please disregard but that might speed up your image downloading speed.

Along with that you might want to look into the website plug in called lightbox. Some people love it and makes your website seem more professional.

Anyways hope I helped a bit! =D
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Killaball :D
    One thing I'm trying to do is, like Isaacoster.com (the guy I got the source files from) I'm trying to get the images to load up on the right but on the same page. It's probably easy but I can't figure out how to do it. Is it a hotspot?
    Also, I'll try and fix the image loading problem...
    (Heh just checked, the image size is huge!)
    Thanks again matey

Edit - Hm, I wonder what size (in pixels) I should make my images.
    And, hehe, they were my res - 1680x1050 o.O
    I change the reso on the "Save for web" option and it seems my speed increases when it's a bigger res.
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PixelMagus,

[EDIT: I had asked how you had gone about setting up your images and everything - but after seeing there's no Flash popup menu when right clicking, and after looking at your code, I assume you made your own site based on his rather than using his source files as they came.]

Here's two suggestions:

To do the gallery without Flash:

http://www.webreference.com/programming/css_gallery/

Maybe that will help - it uses CSS to create the image gallery. However, you can google "how to make an image gallery" or something like that to find more tutorials on how to do it using a variety of programming languages such as Javascript, etc.

Or definitely checkout the aforementioned Lightbox.

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

Shadowbox is similar, but allows you to display videos and swf files as well as images, etc.

http://www.shadowbox-js.com/index.html

I personally have used an ActionScript 3 version of Shadowbox in my portfolios - which at the very least lets me use swfs as well as images. (http://flashden.madbunny.us/free/shadow_box/)

Most recently in a portfolio for a Flash position - http://www.andrewhking.com/flashPortfolio/flashProjects.html. Just click a thumbnail to view it in action.

(Note that the "click to play" thing was added by me into the swf's, Shadowbox actually just starts playing the file once it's loaded)

Using his gallery as it is in the source file package:

The website is Flash based, and is loading images from the two folders via AS and XML (it's using txt files at least) into the SWF on the site.

As per his instructions, in the "Images" folder that came with the source files you'll want to replace the *_thumb (whatever number that is) file with your thumbnail image. Then, replace the corresponding numbered image in the folder with your image/render.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The ActionScript is looking for files named "1_thumb" and "01", etc. So you want to rename your renders and thumbnails to that.

That will work for getting the images to show up on the right side - the Flash file is pretty much a bunch of holders for the thumbnails on the left and a big empty space where the image holder is created on the left.

When you're adding links to your resume and such, you'll need to update them in the "links.txt" file that's included with the source file package.

Just check out the directions_for_use.txt he's included for info.

As far as size of the images goes - you can try just uploading them as they are and see if the file will resize or something (which I'm not sure there was any code to resize the files in the AS), or you can just take the size of the numbered images you need to replace (980x760) and resize to smaller than that (or maybe even the same size).

Same for any other images such as thumbnails, contact image, etc. Just look at the size of his empty images and resize accordingly.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, sorry Krypteia, I ment to say I copied the style. My sit is, in general, extremley simple. But in my eyes thats a very good thing.

Did you type all that out? If so, I'll try to put that to use because you spent so much time on it XD
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way - the "after looking at your code" wasn't intended as an insult or looking down on your code or anything. I was just saying I could see that it didn't have an SWF being loaded into the site.

Hehe, thanks :-)

I'm just not sure you'll be able to make the images appear on the right side of the screen like his site does without using more than HTML - but I could be wrong, I can look into it more later.

One way I can think of, with straight html, is just to make a page with every image placed on the right side. (A copy of your original page with the thumbnails and then a full image placed in the correct place on the right). Then have it so when you click on the thumbnail the site goes to the corresponding page with the image.

However, that might be the last option you want to take. :-) The user will have to basically load the page over and over again while navigating. [Although if it's simple enough and not too taxing on the users' computers that might work].

Another possible idea is to have a slideshow of your images playing on the right side, and then when the user clicks on a thumbnail it goes to separate page with a full render and more information about that project. That breaks away from exactly how he has his site working, but it's a thought. The rest of the thumbnails could still be on the left side or along the bottom of each "project page".
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's okay : ) it's a nice feature but not really all that needed in my eyes.
    But I think the update I made when you click on the thumbnails is an improvment.

Also, now that I think about it - I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but, Chris, I've always been a huge fan of your work and tutorials but I think you're comparing myself to you are you not?
    Again,no trouble wanted : )