Home Technical Talk

3ds Max RTT ignoring UV layout

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
danshewan polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

Apologies if this has been covered before - I did a search, couldn't find an answer.

I'm trying to use RTT for the first time, and have encountered a strange problem. Prior to rendering out to texture, I have a set of UV's arranged by hand for an object made up of multiple parts, which have been attached into a single low-poly object. The top UVW Unwrap was to arrange the various piece's UV shells into the 0-1 space, and the Edit Poly beneath it was used to Attach the various pieces together. My modifier stack looks like this:

modstack.jpg

This gives me a (not terribly efficient, I know) UV layout which looks like this (no jokes about the armada of cocks, please):

uvs.jpg

So, I specify RTT settings to render out AO, Diffuse, Height and Normal maps (512 x 512), with sampling reduced to 1. I reset the cage, and modified the Push settings to ensure that the cage completely encompasses the mesh. The low-poly mesh is directly on top of the high poly, and everything seems fine until the render is complete, at which point it appears that it has ignored the UV layout above and results in this:

resultm.jpg

Anyone else encountered this? What am I doing wrong which results in Max ignoring (then subsequently reordering) my UV layout?

As always, thanks in advance.

Replies

• danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind, guys - apparently I was using the wrong channel (3, instead of 1) and 'Use Automatic Unwrap' was selected in my RTT settings:

fixedw.jpg

Yep, it's the Eat3D Old Pillar tutorial. Hope this helps someone else if they're encountering similar difficulties.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    The RTT adds an own Unwrap UVW Modifier by default, set to 'Flatten Mapping'. If you want to use an existing one, you have to check the checkbox and specify the Map Channel (presumably 1).
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik wrote: »
    The RTT adds an own Unwrap UVW Modifier by default, set to 'Flatten Mapping'. If you want to use an existing one, you have to check the checkbox and specify the Map Channel (presumably 1).

Yeah, I kept noticing that it was adding another modifier to the stack for the Automatic Flatten UV's functionality, but I didn't know where the setting was in order to disable it. :poly136:

Never mind, live and learn etc. Mistakes are awesome.