Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Self portrait

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
update. most recent pic:
this has become more of a "portrait of the ideal self."
SelfPortrait.jpg

i've been doing this over the last week or so. I guess it's about time i posted a WIP.

I had a feeling that my portfolio was sorta lacking a piece that pushed myself and showed my skills, so I want to make something very high res and polished. I'd like to make it into a "wow" piece if i can. anyway I'm more interested in psychology and spirituality lately, so I'm working on a self portrait that includes that stuff. that'll all come together soon.

this is my head. It doesn't look exxaacttlly like me.. but I'm not a fucking robot, so that kinda throws it off.

zbrush_3shot.jpg

zbrush_CU.jpg

I've got a arm and a hand on the go as well, but I'll post that shit later.

Bed time. it's 2:50 am.

Replies

• Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    Those robotic eyes and all the seams gives "you" a bit of a creepy uncanny android look, I obviously can't crit on the likeness though. :)
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I would be cool if you had clips on your face holding the skin in place.. kind of like this!
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=zoe23d&s=3
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like you are jumping up the subD levels too quick there. There is almost no mid level detail and you have already started with the pores and stuff...

Another crit:

self portrait... you aren't a chick :P
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    Did you use a mirror or pictures of yourself for reference? If pictures, posting those would help us to provide better crits.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yo guys, thanks for the replies.

Fang - hm i might scale back the creepiness factor a bit. I dont mind a little bit though. cheers.

Jet_Pilot - thanks man. I'm thinking that's a little grotesque though. I'm trying to stay away from that.

Xaltar - yeah, i feel that issue about the medium details. the problem is, i don't particularly have a very bulbous face. there are certainly features in the motherfucker, but they're not exactly harsh or lumpy. welll maybe I'll go back and exaggerate the fuck out of it just to see what happens.

Millah - i used both. i used pictures for general proportions.

MyHead.jpg
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like your side profile ref head is tilted back a little bit. A good rule is that the top of the ear should be roughly level with eyebrow ridge and bottom of ear lobe is roughly level with the base of the nose. I think that might be throwing your entire head angle off a little bit as it looks like you fixed the ear proportions in the model, but not the angle of the overall head.

Your jaw line is not pronounced in your reference like you have it in your model though i'm not sure if that's just because you are turning your head in the reference pic.

The corners of your moth should roughly line up with the front of your eyes from side profile view. It's harder to see because of that manly hair action you're rocking, but I think your models mouth is looking wierd because of that among other things.

I agree with comments earlier about details. Scrub them for now and focus on the form. You could probably go down 1 or 2 levels of detail to fix alot of this stuff.

It's a good start, keep at it.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Millah! yes, i know, my beard has got the manliness of ten. (men)

baym. update:

MeStuffs.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I think the line going around your face is making it look a bit weird. Maybe have it follow the shape of your jaw?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Nose is wrong. Too flat, too sharp, too high.

Lips are wrong. They terminate at the edges both impossibly and very differently than yours do anyway.

Digging the arm dude, i'd like to see those bigger plates broken up into more shapes though -- and more variance of depth, like, every plate is sitting an even distance out from the wiring right now, let's see some cooler, slightly chunkier, techier shapes!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    where's you robotic hobo man-beard? eh?

- i agree w/ marshal banana: the lined divisions, although the whole thing is 'in-organic' it would seem moar organic flowy by following the natural shapes already in the human face - so yes the human jaw -mayeb the lips (like abe sapien/fish lips divsion) nose lines + brow....

i like it that despite doing a futuristic portrait - it's not like you've given yourself adonis features and a 18x (6 packx2) pack -heh
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    selfportraitwip.jpg

update.

I dont want to change the shape of the mask, because i'm specifically trying to reference one of those drama masks.

did some tweakage to the nose and lips..

This is a portrait on how i see myself.. or, humans in general i guess. emotional/spiritual machines with personalities (masks). I'm gonna put in some chakra shit and some subtle energy lines before long. I'm going to make this into a "portrait of the ideal self" .. not so much a self portrait.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update..
    SelfPortrait.jpg

still have to add some detail to the shirt, like little seems n shit.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    you gotta add that facial hair for it to be a true self portrait. you should be proud of that shit! I`d kill for facial hair like that.

cool stuff tho-. the lotus/aum is a nice touch.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    that's a huge thought-beam of human consciousness! (+5 vs orcs)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct - I'll shave mine off and send it to you in a little box.

YES.. you're right. it is very much ME.. and i should put it in.. but I just don't know how well it works with the whole robot thing. welll.. fuck. okay I'll add it.

KP - I looked at penises for 5 hours before i drew that.. just to get into the right mindset.

I don't think i'm mr. enlightened... this is more of a portrait of the ideal self. I like the idea of merging a strong masculine certainty and confident power with an open, loving heart.