Home Technical Talk

Modular Design Lighting Issues in Unreal

mod
Ok, so we got this challenge in class to create a street corner. we have to use modular pieces, like the comp held on this site awhile back. The pieces came out decent, but when i bring them into unreal, lighting has full out kicked me in the nuts. I need help. Ive tried soften and hardening edges, didnt work. ive tried merging verts. didnt work. so, on the left section of the wall, well, thats kinda obvious. its all the seems, but its definitely not the texture. thats tiled fairly well. nothing you could notice unless real real close. then, the circles on the right side, there are lines going through the flat part of the wall. now, there is an edge in my mesh there, but its completely flat (used snapping in maya). i tried softening the edge, but that didnt do anything. i tried deleting the edge, since its a flat piece, n-gons dont really matter. or so i thought. it actually made it worse, because once it triangulates, it has several lines through it.

help!

(using maya 2009)

ugh.jpg

EDIT: i dont have custom light maps. not sure how

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The stuff on the left is happening because you're getting light bleed from your lightmap UVs, or if you don't have a separate lightmap UV channel then your main UVs don't have enough padding. Not sure about the problems on the right, but it might be the same thing. Check out this tutorial by Stephen Jameson about how to set up some good lightmap UVs.