Home Technical Talk

External Hard Drive issues :(

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
When my last HD died on me i decided to get an external hard drive, I have only used it once since i got it.

I have a lot of files on my computer and I don't really want to lose them so I decided to upload some onto the hardrive tonight , but i always get these errors when i try to make a new folder or even copy paste a folder onto the harddrive:

broken-1.jpg?t=1256462528

broken3.jpg?t=1256462528

broken2.jpg?t=1256462529

Anyone have any ideas on why this is happeneing? I really want to get these on this harddrive cause i have a bad feeling my hd is gonna die pretty soon so anyone that could even shed some light that would be great!

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I've ever seen errors like that before, those are pretty weird.

Did you format that external drive? or just try to use it straight out of the box? Sometimes retail external hard drives are formatted funny and need to be reformatted to work properly.

One other thing to consider, is the cable connecting the PC to the external hard drive functioning properly? Try a different cable also try a different port. I've had strange errors using bad a cable in the past.

Hope that helps, good luck.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is it labeled as Local Disk? That could have something to do with it. Try going into the Disk Management settings a reformat that sucker.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Thats weird, in that last error it looks like the folder is referencing the original location...? How is it connected? usb or esata?

-When you disconnected the Hard drive last time you used it, did you yank out the USB cable instead of "safely removing hardware?"
    -It could be the cable.
    -I'd stick the drive in the computer and try to recover the files (or try on a XP machine).
    -Are you using any type of file "protection" software?
    -Try updating USB Controller Drivers in the Device Manager.