Home Technical Talk

3.5 Zbrush export scale issues

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
I'm having an issue with Zbrush where when I export my model, it always imports into another 3d app super small, and centered at the 0.0 point (IE humanoid, would be feet below 0.0, upper body above it.)

I tried importing in XSI and Max and had the same result.

Changing the export scale in Zbrush has no effect on the mesh when imported.

Sometimes it does this, sometimes it doesn't.

How can I fix this? I usually would use a workflow of exporting a mid level mesh and retopoing in Max and reimporting to zbrush, but with these issues, I cannot do this because they will never line up properly.

Replies

• DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this happening with meshes you retopologize in zbrush or no?
    when i used to do retopology with zspheres in that program that scaling thing would always happen. however it hasn't happened to me with anything that didn't involve using zbrushes retopology feature.

i've heard of issues sometimes occur when using the transpose/move/rotate tool.
    if you delete any part of the mesh in zbrush as well it also messes with the pivot point.

the only advice i can offer if none of this has revealed why this is happening to you is to always align your model using a point helper at 0,0,0 space in max before sending back to zbrush and make sure that the pivot gets aligned at that point.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi !
    Yup this is a painful issue when this happens, especially since it is so hard to track down.

First advice : never ever touch the scale option in zbrush. It's only asking for trouble.
    Then, always check your basemeshes in an external app like maya or max. I have never heard of a way to give correct, absolute scale to things in Z so if you create zsphere starter meshes for instance, always export them to max or maya, to scale them the way you want, then reset xforms/freeze transformations, and re-export in order to go on with the Zbrush sculpting.

If you take these precautions it should all be fine. I have been passing objs back and forth between maya2010, max2009, mudbox2010 and Z3.5 a lot lately and to my great surprise everything stayed perfectly at scale. Just be aware of any other app sitting inbetween. For instance if you do some retopo in Topogun on a obj exported from Z3.5, make sure to check the scale of this retopo in max (and resave it there) before sending it back to the sculpt workshop :P

Also if you want to retrieve your sculpt details after the basemesh has been rescaled (thus out of alignement), I would say try using the Zbrush displacement maps. It should carry over your sculpted detail rather nicely.

Good luck!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    what's especially weird about this is, that if you import it into a new scene it's fine. just reimporting into the old one gives me that scale issue. really annoying.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm having the same issue but with 3.5, with 3.1 I had no problems.
  • Kupikimijumjum
    Had the same issue... I ended up re-importing the original mesh as a separate sub-tool and tweaking the scale by hand. Huge pain in the ass, but I managed to keep all my sculpt detail. However, I did lose my individual layer info.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man, I just had the same issue here at work with Zbrush 3.5. I am not using it after this model. I am going back to 3.1. I needed to go back and forth to use Decimation Master in 3.1 and got horrible scaling issues. So 3.1 it is I never had scaling issues with that.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    Have you checked the "Export" section in the tools palette? I have found it always has some coordinates and scale set.

heres a link to a previous pc thread on the subject http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=62495
  • nightwoodwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nightwoodwolf polycounter lvl 9
    scale/offset parameters always should match for each subtool, which leaving the default values ( scale to 1 offsets to 0 ) should work fine, with that you wont get in trouble hopefully and if zbrush change them cause you've change your uvs. or point order etc .. i usually just change the scale/offset of the disturbed subtool to the default values.

by doing that, if i want to change the scale in maya in case i change uvs, or say i don't like the scale or any reason, it will work fine.