Home Technical Talk

Multiple Textures swapped On Same Object

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
I have around 80 different textures to render on the same mesh eg. loads of jackets, gloves etc. They are sequentially numbered and the mesh is static (this is for a menu screen). I basically have to manually do this over and over and was wondering if there's a script or faster way to load in a new texture eg changing pants_01 to pants02 and hit render, load pants03 and render etc.

3DSMAX: i've done this by hand but its still good to know if /how I could've done it automatically i.e maybe via maxscript but then its probably complicated.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably through scripting but without knowing what app, its hard to say.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    It would be a very quick maxscript job to get this done.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Why not simply load your textures as a sequence into a Bitmap Map. You'll then have an animated texture that you can render.
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik wrote: »
    Why not simply load your textures as a sequence into a Bitmap Map. You'll then have an animated texture that you can render.

Thanks for the tip but could you clarify how i do that? max can only load in individual bitmaps right? or do you mean to make them into an avi and then import the avi as a texture and render as stills? Or perhaps you mean animate one by one along the timeline manually which would be much the same as loading them and hitting render each time.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    No...Max can also load sequences of still images. In the file open dialog for the Bitmap Map is a small 'Sequence 'checkbox. All you have to do is make sure your files are named correctly, but as you said they are already sequentially named.
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik wrote: »
    No...Max can also load sequences of still images. In the file open dialog for the Bitmap Map is a small 'Sequence 'checkbox. All you have to do is make sure your files are named correctly, but as you said they are already sequentially named.[/QUOTE

awesome! I got around it using uncompressed avi which came out perfect and matching the fps export options of afterfx to the render fps on max and rendering to individual alpha pngs. Thanks for the tips! definitely make life easier. I've pm'd commander_keen to try and learn the maxscript way too as that'd be good to know :) thanks guys.