Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Need Content for Game Engine

I'm helping to write a game engine for a club at school and we would like to "ship" our engine with some basic all around useful content that a developer might be able to use.

If you have a model that you would like to donate send me a link in PM or via email.

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Some info about your game engine might be a minimal requirement.
  • version2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What more information is needed? It isn't geared towards any specific genera of games so just generally useful content is what we need.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    "Generally useful content" is impossibly vague.

"What spec would an ideal asset be?" is a bit of a no brainer. Does your engine support normal/gloss/displacement? Can it have externally-written shaders plugged into it? What format of mesh do you require? Does it have any proprietary formats that need to be taken into account? Does your engine do anything differently to any of the other massive, contemporary game engines, that can be exploited to best present the art.

It's not only a question of "would my shit fit into your shit", but it's more about manners and marketting - You've not really said much that sells the whole idea of having people lend you their hard work, creativity and property.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completley agree with Gylnn. I don't think your taking it very seriously Version.
  • version2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    It's not only a question of "would my shit fit into your shit"...

nice analogy...

I wish I could answer those questions, but as of this moment I can't simply because we're still in the planing stage. As to the file format(s) that our engine will support, most likely .obj, .3ds, .max, .jpg/.jepg, .png, possibly more as the project progresses. We'll have to have a working version of the engine before I can answer questions about the more complex facets of what models can and can't include.

This was more of a place for people to say they have models that they're willing to let us use.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    With all respect, it sounds as if you have a long way to go before you'll need any real content.

Once you've got something to show you'll garner much more interest from the community (and artists) who will be willing to support your efforts.

Cheers,

Tyler
  • version2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev wrote: »
    With all respect, it sounds as if you have a long way to go before you'll need any real content.

Yes, we are obviously a ways off form any kind of working program, and now that I think about it I'm not entirely sure why I started this thread so early in the development cycle...