Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

General WIP

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Bokaja polycounter lvl 16
Hail bandidos - posted this in What Are You Working On 2009... and Gameartisans also - feel free to fire away critique on the overall look and feel compared to the concept...I'm going blind...this is latest update...thanks...time for a beer!

30mmhko.jpg
acrl94.jpg

Replies

• MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the painting in the concept is amazing, the shirt looks insane!

the high poly is nice, the shoulders don't look as broad as they do in the concept however and it makes him look a bit skinny compared to his waist....maybe its just the angle you rendered it at
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh yeah your right - gonna look into that. Someone also mentioned adding more chest to him. Guess I'll beef him up a bit - thanks :D

I'll also do a pass on the hair and make the folds on the boots more subtle.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right the sculpt looks great and the concepts look awesome too!

Just a small nitpick and question. Is this an American general? Is it for real army or a PMC or is it like a resistance fall of man alternate reality? Please don't think I'm trying to be mean the reason I ask is the current us military uniforms look a bit different. According to AR670-1 blah blah blah.

http://www.army.mil/asu/

Don't change anything your model is f'in awesome! Just for future refrence! Can't wait to see this finished!
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing is mean - all is constructive :D Thanks for the link!
    Aye, this general can probably be classified as an alternate reality general.
    Some liberty has been taken - that being said I'll gladly add new stuff to him if
    it help add to his believeability.

Thank for feedback!

I'll post some more ASAP...
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So - I apologize for my absence - I'm on it again :E
    Updates on character: Added pockets, zipper and some stitching on panties. Also did completely new boots and some retouch on the hair to clean it up for textures and beefed him up a bit. I'm in pistol-mode lockdown now and this one is work in progress. Going for a Glock 23 built from reference. Chat ya laters :)

10h6oau.jpg
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Looking great so far - well done.

The only thing that stands out to me are the creases in his shirt - they seem to be quite realistic on the edges of the shirt, but then they fade / smooth out around the belly area. Maybe lessen the depth and smooth a few out around the edges of the shirt to add a little more randomness to the overall surface, and continue some of them across the belly area to make it a little more convincing. There'd definitely be some folds near the buttons!

Other than that, looking awesome.
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna make some changes to the pockets and zipper fly - blend it more in. Looks like it's slapped onto the pants with glue or somethin - like mentioned on GA. Also hopefully soon an update on the gun. Happy modeling!
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update - fixed pockets, various stuff and gun - gonna do the lowpoly now and hopefully soon texturing/baking - srry this is taking so long...

mi2gcp.jpg
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got some time and have started on the lowpoly, unwrapping, baking maps and initiating texturing...work in progress...3ds max realtime screendump...stay tuned for more...:paper:

2wlv6o3.jpg
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update - basic diffuse, spec, normal and lightmap baked out for body also...ganna throw some textures on real soon...

t97f4i.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i'd tone down the spec on the cloth and make his hands match the color of his head. i think his hands being that light make them look like fake hands. making the head paler than the body is as far as i'd go. but only on a character that would have an unnatural tan. i mean, there isn't any set rule for this stuff.. just say'n. some cute girls have whiter faces than their body. weird. maybe the dude wears gloves a lot.
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your right and they will math up in the end - I think right now he is subject to some horrible light-setup :D Gonna be all at it today! Thanks!
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work man!
    He looks a little sun-burned, and the wrinkles on his right leg go up too far, I think they would only go up to just above the knee, the left leg would probably have more because of the straps... just an observation, I may be wrong :P
    Keep it up!
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aya those folds have been through countless iterations - I did use reference though :D - but I'll definately go over it again no doubt!

Thanks for input!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    My only major problems with the folds is that they're perfectly symmetrical...
  • bmasterson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmasterson polycounter lvl 9
    My girlfriend said he looked sunburned. I have to agree. There's too much red in the face. Specular also needs some pattern to give the clothes a clothy look. Though you could add that in the normal instead.
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree on the folds and the textures - I'm going through it all step by step - stay tuned for next update :)

Thanks alot for comments!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Make them pop more and put them in marmoset. You will definitely see a huge difference!!
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture WIP update...

21cxxme.jpg
    29xgil0.jpg
    30hpo1t.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    your cloth overlay patern is not taking into account the folds of the material, and just going straight over them, which really gives it a just layed on top look, perhaps use photoshop liquify or smudge to make them contour to the folds more,

one other thing that i've noticed you have fine wrinkles in all the cloth, but it does not apear to be loose. almost like a scarecrow that has been stuffed with straw or something, kinda bloated kinda tough to explain.
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for critique :)

I see you points. I'll try and fit the overall pattern to the shapes better.
    I think I know what you mean about the bloated look - I'll try and look into adjusting the
    overall feel of the folds contra the body.

Cheers!
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I'm back from the dead...here's some updates on textures and tweaks I've been doing...lately...ganna do some more texturing...

21o7vk6.jpg
    mt5rw8.jpg
    2v84ayt.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great Bokaja. My only crit is that his pants and boots are dirty and warn and the shirt is not. Perhaps carry that over to the shirt and tie. Maybe some sweat stains or something.

Great work none the less. :)
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for crit - your right about the shirt. I shall give it some more dirt ^^ I'm gonna do some more texturing and pose him on a pedestal very soon for more crits.

Nice stuff you got going on your website - keep it up!
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though eyes obviously shouldn't be super white, you could probably stand to have them pop a little more from the rest of the skin color

Other than that, looking great - I love the hands in particular
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye the eyes get some love too...also gonna do some rework on the panties...they seem a bit bulgy and massive for his age as pointed out on the GA forum. I can only agree.
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So did an update on the panties, textures, posed him a bit - tried some pedestal...more to come...yaaaaaaaaa!

zsr14l.jpg
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with some dirt, wounds and various...I want it to feel like he's been enduring a long lasting attack scenario on the base he commands - and he's been taking part in the fight on ground level. Gonna add some more to the pedestal and overall.

5ph2tc.jpg
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool I think the lighting could use some work.. in the final not sure about the clouds either
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O wel time to round this up...ganna stick to this setup I think...just clean and simple.

1y4r68.jpg