Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chaun Soldier

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Raider polycounter lvl 9
Hey fellas, decided to join a mod team over at moddb.com ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/blood-dye - little plug :p ) in order to get some experience so I can try land a job somewhere as a junior.

Anyway I'm working on one of the soldiers in a squad so I figured I'd post it here since you fellas helped me out heaps on my MMA fighter :)

Still pretty WIP atm but you'll get the general idea.

soldier1y.jpg

Replies

• Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything looks a little to blobby to me right now mate, but I'm not a character artist :)
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Been working on the face, trying to lock down his character. Still a few more tweaks to go, work on the hair. Anyone got any suggestions on anything that could add a little more?

soldierface4.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Not looking too bad Raider.

The proportions on the head/face are looking pretty good. The only thing I want to point out is his nose.. in particular the nostrils, something weird going on there. Are you working from a reference photo?

Here is a website I found that may help you out a bit. http://www.drawingcoach.com/nose-drawing.html

Keep working hard! :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Raider, you got a nice costume design going there!
    You might want to check out pipe wrinkles that form on sleeves and trouser legs. They kind of loop around the form and often cross each other. Also where stuff is tightly wrapped over like a belt, you get creases emanating from under the article which gives an impression of tightness.

With the face I would pull the jaw back a bit and put the lower lip a bit back from the upper one as it looks a bit like he has an underbite, making his lips pursed, which is ok but it is more of an expression. You probably want to keep the base sculpt as neutral as possible because it can mess with the other expressions you will want the model to have when animated.

The hairline at the temples is too far back. Perhaps you are trying for some spikey hair atm but the opposing grooves are fighting with each other. Hair falls in a harmonious pattern even when it is short. It looks like you have some sink curves in the sculpt, they are hard to describe but they give the model a bit of a lumpy feel. Just for fun you can save the model out under 'experiment' and delete some of the higher levels and sculpt some more, just to see what happens.

Nice stuff man, looking forward to updates.