Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Crit

Hey Everyone,

After the fallout debacle I must move forward! I was wondering If I could get a crit on my current portfolio of work. The art itself, what I might need, and even if I just need a better site. I want to take things to the next level so that I can try getting a job in the industry again. I am planning on working my day job and working on new portfolio pieces the next couple months, then trying again to apply at places. Here is my link

http://joesoloart.blogspot.com/

Replies

• Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I think you could customize your blog alot more, adding links to you resume and making it reflect you and your work some more.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Basically exactly what Canadian ink said. I look at a few pieces then look at the resume to see where the person worked and what school they went to.
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Joe,

Your artwork isn't bad you really need to give it the presentation it deserves though. I like the first set of renders you have for 2D you show us everything we want to see a beauty shot wireframe and texture flats. I think you should give all your work this treatment show us all your work not just a beauty shot. A tri count and size of the textures wouldn't hurt either. I really like the way Tyler Wilson presents his work i think it shows everything and employer would want to see. Somthing to shoot for.

Investing in a site wouldn't be a bad idea although the blog format isn't terrible either you can make it work better. Your timestamps give away that you put this thing together in just over 5 minutes. You could at least separate your posts into categories like Characters and Environments and Props. Tossing everything in there feels haphazard like you just don’t care. You should also title yourself for the job you want I’m assuming your still going the character artist route. Resume is a must.

You have an environment thrown in there that really needs some love or to be taken out. The first render of it has a large black spot which I’m guessing is missing a texture and the lighting is odd the shadows on the cliffs are too harsh. Something could be done about the horizon line it needs some atmosphere maybe a little fog or fade to give the feeling of distance and the water just doesn't make sense i haven't seen any tropical islands that are surrounded by black oceans. It looks kind of like the unreal 3 engine if so Hourences' has a cool tutorial on outdoor water that might help you out.

Well that’s all I got for now best of luck hopefully it helps.