Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Dietrich Magnus, Animator

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
DerDude polycounter lvl 10
Hey polycounters,

i would like to hear which animation aren´t that well placed for an animation reel. I did all rigging and animation the video shows. Thanks alot!

http://www.vimeo.com/7125733

Replies

• Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it but to short
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some good stuff in there nice work so far =)
    I agree with Frenzy its a bit short, you could extend it to 1min and show some break downs or different angles, slower or faster?

The bag clips when the goblin runs.
    The run and sit are pretty quick for such a rounded weighed down model.
    maybe a touch too much up and down head motion on the run.

Vimeo is great, .mov is better for review. youtube vids can be saved and converted to mov vimeo can't, but it looks nicer... but .mov for serious review, it helps to have a frame counter too.

There are some pops a in the thin stalker creatures legs they kind of break the silent stealthy approach he has going, just a tiny bit.

Overall, cool stuff, I would love to see it broken down a bit and definitely want to see more!
  • Nightroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That can't be your real name, can it? Are you a supervillain in your free time?

And I agree it's a bit short, I am not sure why you have the water buffalo in the reel if we only get to see it for less then a couple seconds. I like the sense of wait and life in everything else. The skinny monster is my current favorite. I would add something else to the chicken if you want to put it in a reel. Just my opinion though. I like it so far!
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    vimeo can be saved as well, although I think there is like a cutoff date or something for hd stuff
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed wrote: »
    vimeo can be saved as well, although I think there is like a cutoff date or something for hd stuff
    Do you have to log in or have a "plus" account?
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Freezy:
    I agree that it´s may be a bit short, i´m going to do one with 1 minute or something. Sometimes it´s not easy to pick your best animation because some are a bit older and lack of knowledge/time/whatever.

@Vig:
    Thank you very much! The stalker walk is jittery in some sense, but i coudln´t figure out why, i´m going to check the scene again. I wanted to made the video as entertaining as possible, but maybe i just tried it to hard, some other angles should do the trick. I agree with the goblin, the bags are not that well timed, either i do the sec. animation and other timing again or i skip it.

@ Nightroad:
    Damnit, my cover has been compromised! No, wait a moment.
    Thats my name i guess, but i´ve never heard that it has supervillan-qualities. There is a transformer which is called Ultra-Magnus, a Nes-game which was only shipped in japan for good reason features Ultramagnus. I totally agree with the buffalo, i should show some cycles or skip the animation. With the chicken i wanted to show that i´m aware of diffrent styles of animation, but it´s pobably not the best animation, i will take this into account when i do a longer reel.

You can download a *.mov from vimeo, howwever you need to register before you can do that, lame. Here is a mov:

www.dietrichmagnus.com/demoreel.mov
    www.dietrichmagnus.com/demoreel.rar

I´m creating a longer version when i´ve got some time. Thanks for all feedback
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Why not show that cow walk for longer? It's probably the nicest thing on your reel...give it a few seconds :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    agree on the cow, also definitely the best character in that reel, not that the models are the focus but it is by far the best character/creature of all in your reel, the anims are pretty good and i agree in the points vig just said... just wanted to point out how superior i thin kthe cow is compared to the rest, but thats not your fault ;)

i like the lizzard animation on your vimeoaccount too, very nice
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Blenderhead
    i promise to give the cow more time ;)

@Neox
    Thanks buddy, i want to make more stuff with the lizzard because i´m happy with the rig and the model (i need to retopo the highpoly sometime) Maybe i´ll make him drunk and give him a sombrero or something similar stupid, we´ll see :)