Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Reims Cathedral Stained Glass Window

Replies

• dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the comments. I changed my shader for the glass, pushed out the spec a bit more, turned off the mips, and added another little light on the glass to push out that area.

I might add a few more polys in a couple of areas that are driving me crazy.

The original image (on my website) is a good bit larger and you can see more of the detail, but hopefully you can see it here.

Let me know what you think.

re_cath_ScreenShot_v8-1.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Its sad its not doing justice to the high poly work, all of the detail looks flat.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One last attempt (unless I figure out something that would further enhance it) to push out some of those details on the window and in some of the cracks, etc., and to round out a few shapes. I definitely could have just made a chunk of the blocks on the outer frame, and cloned those around, which would have made it a bit sharper there.

If anyone has any further ideas on things I could do as far as texturing and lighting, I'd be happy to hear them.

re_cath_ScreenShot_v9_small.jpg

Again, you can see a full size screen on my site: http://www.schultzdavid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/re_cath_ScreenShot_v9.jpg
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71 polycounter lvl 12
    It's excellent! The high rez version is amazing but i think you can work more on the details of the stone on the archs. They would gain in realism if the seams, cracks, falled bits are more crisp.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Try outlining the details with a darker color like black. Will help it pop way more.

OR

Make this a night time scene, have a light shining through the window, and color that window up in all forms of red blues and greens.

CathedralWindow3.jpg
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71: Thanks, man! Yeah, I might have to exaggerate some of those normals a bit more as well.

whats_true: Thanks for the suggestions. I do have the details in the stone areas outlined in black. If you mean the detailing in the glass, I could try that. I'd rather not go the color route because that would be on the inside of cathedrals, and I have modeled and set all this up to be exterior of the cathedral.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A big thanks to Jason Connell for looking at my shader network and helping me fix my normals. I added them together without a vector2 mask which was neutering them.

I went back and added some more detailing and contrast in my spec map, and tried to push out some areas in my diffuse. I also created a new mask that allowed me to isolate the metal in the window. Unfortunately, I still have some seams that are showing up. I've tried everything I have found in researching it, and it's better, but I can't get them to go away. If I did it again, I might try and avoid mirroring and cutting some of my uvs like I did.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

re_cath_screen_050210.jpg

There's a larger image on my site: http://www.schultzdavid.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/re_cath_screen_050210.jpg