Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P - Gluttonous Clown

Hey,

Started working on this clown for the CGhub "Nightmares" competition and whilst it would have been nice to get a low poly game mesh out for a final entry I don't think i'm going to have enough time.

Ive got to the point now where I feel like i'm adding detail for the sake of adding detail so I would rather fix existing features instead.

I do intend on getting a game mesh up and running once ive got some time after the comp.

Here's what ive got so far along with a zbrush render/photoshop composite which is the sort of thing im going to submit.

EDIT: Sorry the first image isnt a concept, its a paintover of the render below.

19xduv.jpg

2nhl4k6.jpg

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Don't know how wip it is but, i would but more time into those pants, and make those folds look good

Like how close it came out to the concept :)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Nice work Nights, really great work on the face. Love the fat rolls under the chin. Along with what Jonas said.. maybe make the pants behind the shoes reach the ground.

:)
  • achillesian
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    needs red shoes, cool sculpt :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Oooh, he's cool. I like the bloody hand print on the balloon.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Great concept, nice work so far. Loving the folds of fat under his chin, and yeah - the bloody handprint on the balloon is awesome.

The only thing I'd change is his hair - looks a little rigid. I'd go for a much wilder, crazed look, maybe balding in places, or have it look torn out in patches (maybe torn out by clutching little hands of his victims...) Think maybe what a clown would look like if he'd been sleeping rough, or slumming in a mission shelter somewhere - dye all faded, matted with dirt etc.

Just a thought. Great work.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Ive done a bit more work on this and got it to a state im happy with. I will be working on the low poly at some point and will post that as soon as I get something done.
    The only thing I'd change is his hair - looks a little rigid. I'd go for a much wilder, crazed look, maybe balding in places, or have it look torn out in patches (maybe torn out by clutching little hands of his victims...) Think maybe what a clown would look like if he'd been sleeping rough, or slumming in a mission shelter somewhere - dye all faded, matted with dirt etc.

I tried messing with the hair using the snake hook tool and unfortunately kept bodging it up. I'll probably try something like this again in the low poly with planes.

10hm59f.jpg
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    well done. really like that sculpt and its likeness to the concept.

don't think you're hiding that cleaver well enough...i'm keeping my distance.

i grew up with this guyblind_reaper.gif so i'm pretty suspicious already.
  • Draffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving the bloody hand print on the balloon, great job
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fat foldings looks very good, especially the face ones.. it could use a bit more color to my taste though..
    dirty rotten colors would make it look a bit more like a murderer clown IMO
    Nice detail the blood on the balloon too...
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Update:

Finally managed to get some work done on the low poly. I think im ready to move on to something else now so heres my final. It currently stands at 5'367 triangles (including balloon and cleaver).

205w19t.jpg

24gllpi.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hai
    The only major problem i have with the model is how you handled the low poly. The silhouette is extremely plain with nothing interesting going on. Check out the MM thread and see how he makes sure his low res mesh follows the high as much as possible. You have such a nice highres and youre just wasting it away.
    The textures could use some more loving aswell. Just saw your website and that female model you did has textures far superior than this,The textures are also abit washed out :) is it the lighting?Mind posting the flats.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Butt_Sahib,

here is the flat render:

wmgqrq.jpg

I did feel as though I rushed the low poly, especially as I ended up using the base mesh for the sculpt rather than do a full retopo. I am thinking of re-doing the low poly properly and the texture but it depends on how much time I feel I have.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I love the semi-smile in the first colored pic and the hand print.
    sweeeeeeeet
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Very cool character, thanks for sharing!