Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

realtime & highpoly character demoreel

Hi Polycount
I glad to introduce my demoreel `09 Any comments are welcome :)
http://hq3d.org/reel09.avi

Replies

• jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    The link doesn't work. Try uploading your reel to vimeo or youtube.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I can't get that link to work either. A screenshot wouldn't be bad either, give people an idea of what they're clicking towards.
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. This hosting will repaired soon. There is temporary problem resolving http://rapidshare.com/files/294984292/reel09.avi.html
    Screenshots
    thumbuy.th.jpg
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your models look nice but resolution of that image is too small to judge.

Also, I suggest uploading your reel to vimeo, so that people can just click & watch. I doubt anybody will bother downloading random avi file from rapidshare.
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suggest uploading your reel to vimeo,

done :)

• Frenzy
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have too many assets on your reel, and some of them detract from the others. I'd suggest removing the horse, the lion with no nose sculpt, the frog, and the head sculpt after the frog. Your other assets are much better and more polished by far, and you should really just focus on them. I'd also bring that space marine character up closer to the beginning of the reel, maybe put him right after the cannon.

One other thing, which isnt huge, but it would be nice if all your reel assets were textured. Its kinda weird with some having texture and others not, especially since the untextured ones are kinda in between textured assets, and not all at the end like most reels.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks good, I would cut out the frog and girls head with big eyes and the lion doorknocker they just arent finished enough compared to your other work, also less time on some of the rotations would be fine.
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with the others. Edit your reel down. In my experience the first minute is all that really counts for a reel. You can pretty much tell by that point whether it's worth doing a phone interview with the applicant or not. You've got some good stuff here. Keep up the good work. :) Here are my thoughts broken down piece by piece for you along with a couple of suggested reel orders.

car- you have mostly characters so I'm not sure why this is first? Either cut it entirely or make it one of your last pieces. It's not bad, but I don't think it's as exciting and visually impressive as some other work you have.
    rocks- not bad, but like the car they don't really impress me with what your character art skills are and you have other work the demonstrates artistic ability that I would assume is able to make convincing rocks.
    cannon - Your strongest hard surface modeling non-character piece.
    cartoony characters - These aren't bad, but they'd have a lot more attitude if they were posed.
    knight kid --texture could use work - cut his animation
    cut the cat - it looks unfinished
    Frog- Also looks unfinished
    Girls head - not really sure, it's not bad but in the current order of things it's kind of strange and like the frog and cat it looks like it's a WiP.
    Space Marine - one of the best. move it up.
    colorful humanoid creature - cut it or update the texture(especially the hair) and pose it.
    Fish - Show - one of your strongest textured pieces imo
    Medieval chick - re-do her hair and pose her.

If I were to order your reel for a general 3d job opening, I'd go

1. Space Marine
    2. Knight Kid
    3. Fish
    4. Cannon
    5. SUV
    6. Cartoony Characters
    7. Medieval chick

If I were to order your reel for applying to a character art position I'd go
    1. Space Marine
    2. Knight Kid
    3. Textured Fish
    4. Cartoony Characters
    5. Medieval chick
    6. Girls head
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Your work seems pretty solid. IMO you don't need to add info like number of base mesh polys you had for your high poly work.

Also i would either render out an AO map for that horse or scrap it. You have a lot of good stuff so you can afford to trim the fat on some of your lesser work. Put what you want to do FIRST! If you want to be a character guy then make your reel just character and have everything else on a separate page on your website.

Good luck
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for comments guys. I must highlight my point. I do not consider that I should remove something . I am proud of each of my works. Because each of these works shows different skills. For example: horse shows photorealistic lopoly character modeling and photo texturing, Gun&car is hand painted texture, lion is classic subd polymodeling, girl head is zbrush scetching, toad is zbrush detailing itc. I do not see sense to do impressing demoreel for just to make impression. I could make more awesomeness brutality super detailed characters. But this is so boring and not professional. Because real game industry require something other than brutality space marine.
    Are i am right?
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    That shark is kickass!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but srsly, no nose lion has to go.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I think that most people that will look at your work and consider you for a position knows what it takes to make the finished lowpoly and doesnt need to see the lion sculp for example, seeing the baked lp's shows that you know highpoly already, also that frog felt like it was made by someone else not at all on the same level as the rest of your work.

Also think you can work on that horse texture. Also im a great fan of the canon and your diffuse work.
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also im a great fan of the canon and your diffuse work.

Thank you. There is realtime presentation this cannon
    http://hq3d.org/cannon.exe 7mb
    It made by Quest3d, no installation needed just set resolution before start.
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anybody dont want comment a REALTIME view?

file checked by http://www.virustotal.com/
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Generally, asking viewers to download an .exe to check work is not a great idea. Regardless of it being checked by a virus site, it's simply too much of a hassle and a risk to download the file when it could easily be viewed in a video of the real time presentation.
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Video of the real time presentation already presented at my demoreel. Because all of lopoly rendered via 3dsmax viewport.
    I dont know how to show real realtime presentation but same time avoid download the executable file. ))
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I hate demo reels and this one sucks in the same way,- not content wise but the fact that one needs to stream something of a bloated filesize and in a streaming media (i.e you cant so nicely browse forward/ back, have a closer look at particular details).
    Also usually music is as hell annoying if it does not fit someone else's taste. All in all reels are for me usually not always a pleasure but rather often something I watch because there is nothing else to look at first.

For applications imo. Static pictures might work out better - a reel can be something additional but for a quick glimpse static images work out better.
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just finish my site, hq3d.org
    there is two new edition of reel Hi&Mid qual
    your comment are welcome
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You could compact your website in just one page. Links to videos at the top, everything else below it. No need to break down between dense models and realtime stuff. Just show cool things.

Also most of the little captions on your demo real make no sense : 'flat shading' 'old school' 'current gen' its all kind of confusing. you could just flash in the textures maps in a corner, it would tell just as much if not more!

Some good stuff in this!!!
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i made two page because i can add more new work in the future.
    Why no sense? Information about used lighting is important. Because there is more difference between a flat, curent gen and GI rendering , is`t it?. I never render lopoly in vRay or MR and i accent it.
    t it.
    how your speed during download a reel?
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Why do I want to download your 248 MB demo real? Save me the 15 minute hassle of downloading, the file size, possible installing a new program just to open it (rar is not a standard on windows)...and put it in a flash player like everybody else.

to many steps to go through just to look at it, that it becomes a waste of my time.
  • Frenzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true there is .wmv file.
    i put the quick time muvie in archive because this codec(PhotoJPG) can be good compressed