Home Technical Talk

Photoshop crashing - Video driver errors

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Lamont polycounter lvl 15
My PS is crashing on simple shit. Turned off the accelerated goodness, updated nVidia drivers. Thought it was a bad version, downgraded drivers (after using a tool to clean them all out). Got off the phone with Adobe who said "Oh, just do the update, will clear it up..". Just did the update and it still happens! Went and turned down nVidia control panel settings. Still crashing.

Then did a stress test on the videocard GPU/memory/temp. Passed with flying colors. Did a system memory test overnight and it passed. Mobo seems to be fine.

Last time I called Adobe about an application error (Encore) I ended up buying the upgrade as a solution. I don't want it to be the case now (not working :P).

Anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I am not, no. Though I do have a strange screen redraw issue opening/closing DDS files.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PS doesn't really crash, the screen turns black, then it comes back 90% of the time saying "the graphics driver recovered".
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You aren't using XP are you by chance? I just installed the updates from this week, and had exactly what you experienced with an ATI card, except it didnt recover. The machine was still functional since I could hear the music.

Attempting newer ati drivers now.
  • Calypso75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calypso75 null
    I originally had a 8800 gts and everything worked fine, but when I installed my new gtx 275 I started to get that same error when I used Photoshop and even while playing some games. I did the same thing as you, complete uninstall of drivers, install of newest whql, turning off GPU acceleration, etc, etc, and nothing worked.

I ended up installing the 186.XX drivers and the the problem still happened but it wasn't nearly as often. I then saw that the clock speeds on my card were actually the speeds for the super clocked version of the card even though I bought the regular one, so I dropped them down to the default speeds just for the hell of it and it actually seemed to completely fix the problem. It's been a month or so and I haven't had any crashing. I've also recently installed the 191.07 whql drivers and I've had zero problems.

There's actually a 2 year old thread on the Nvidia forum about this problem http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=25381 and also a more updated thread on Guru 3d http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=229865

Good luck finding a fix though. The common cause in every case seems to have to do with Vista, so hopefully with Windows 7 around the corner we won't have to deal with this anymore.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in Vista 64. Gonna go and muck with the speeds now.

I would like to add none of the games I play crash. Maya and LW run fine. JUST Photoshop.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Seriously, if you have the opportunity, I would recommend xp64. Vista 64 'seems' good at first but most of these video problems are often related to the bloated nature of the OS, not because of Photoshop itself...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just came from XP64 because of the massive problems with my hardware.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, still having the issue. Just save and save often is what I'm doing for now.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Alright so there is a few things you can do - aka the usual photoshop/vista tracking :
    - turn aero on and off to see what works best ;
    - go to the control panel > programs and features > windows features > uninstall anything 'ink' or 'tablet pc' related

Good luck, it's such a pain in the ass to have ones main program crashing all the time...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update - I got more info from Adobe support this morning, the guy recommended to run the 32-bit version and indeed it does seem faster and snappy than the 64-bit version. So far PS has been running since then without crashing.

Also, I contacted BFG Tech and started the RMA process for my card. It appears the memory clock speed is 1/2 of what it's supposed to be.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A nice update for those of you who need it:

You need to have Aero on if you're in Vista. I've been crash free for a looong time since I ticked it back on... and my breath smells fresher too!!

But it sucks I bought a new PSU/Vid card only to realize I didn't need to.