Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Colt M4 Carbine for Unity

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Polynurb polycounter lvl 15
I started a rifle for a FPS demo scene I'm working on in conjunction with a USMC character. So far these are some screens of the wires, occlusion render and a 0.5% start on the texturing of the model. Right now the model runs in at 6,00 tris and am working on a 2048 texture...but will use compression tool to get it to 1024 for runtime.

M4_Progress.jpg

M4_5.jpg

M4_TextureStart.jpg

Replies

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    ground texture looks kinda repetetive in my opinion
    i would tone down the greyish pattern on it and make it more subtle
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ground texture looks kinda repetetive in my opinion
    i would tone down the greyish pattern on it and make it more subtle

I agree. Tone down the noise on the color channel. And can we get a shot with the texture on the whole weapon? Or do you only have that peice done?

Looks great otherwise! Try posting on a Grey background rather than white.
  • Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynurb polycounter lvl 15
    I will definitely tone down the noise...I can see exactly what you guys are talking about. Yep it's just these small pieces done so far...nothing else is textured. The noisy texture is a base I put over the whole weapon to get started.
  • Mimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need to have noise in the diffuse channel.

In reality gun surfaces tend to be quite a uniform colour, the trick is to use the specularity to add noise and interest to a material.

Try making the colour much flatter, and using the specularity for noise, and describing the surface material.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    most of all...

nearly all of the parts have different colors and tints, ranging from a yellowish grey, over a dark purple/blue to a black.

the noise stuff will work great on plasticparts but not on most of the gunsurfaces.
    these parts are way finer in finsh

youre m4 is also missing the bayonett lug on the frontsight,
    back of the receiver is missing an extra "ring" going around the top receiver into the lower receiver body.
    your´re lacking the locking ring for the stocktube either.

forward assist seems to be pretty way back if i take a look at my m4/c8 i have lying around here.

handguard shape isnt perfectly round, its more of a slight eggshape and tapering to the front.

what sort of usmc jarhead are you doing anyway?
    the corpse mainly uses the m16a4, the m4 being used with some mobility guys and mfr.

keep it up.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    lots of n-gons where I expected some edges like some of the cylindrical shapes- add them at least at the end so your model does not end up with funny triangulation results.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A fellow unity dude eh, ello there! Can't wait to see the project.