Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[PORTFOLIO] Jason Renaud, Character Artist

Hey, my name is Jason Renaud I’m an aspiring 3d character artist, I LOVE to draw and love to sculpt. Well I’ve been working on this for a very, VERY long time and I know I have to post it to get some true feedback but it’s hard since I feel completely naked doing this. Okay so here it is I finally worked up the courage to post it to get some feedback.
There’s some wip on there and I will be working on some new ones soon.. Anyways let me know what you think I need some good crits to advance, but be kind this is my body and soul your viewing (very intimate shit!):poly122:

http://www.wix.com/jasonin3d/JasonRenaud

Replies

• Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id say invest more time into your 3d works or focus on the 2d side of things.
    The drawings look much better then the characters.
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, have to agree with disco stu. The 2d is overshadowing your 3d. The pics you have for the 3d is pretty low res, I want to be able to see what exactly you have going on with your characters, Your black dynamite character for example looks like it could be cool but the pic you have there is not doing him justice, his face looks blurry.

On a completely personal note; I am not a fan of the site, it is simple enough to navigate and I dont think anyone would get lost, but it feels like it has to many bells and whistles on it. If I were coming to your site to hire you I would want the artwork to shine through, instead it seems like the site itself is more "flashy" than your artwork.

All the nasty-ness aside, your 2d work is VERY good, maybe want to push that some more just because it seems to be your strong point. Either way keep pushing your skills. Your on your way.
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll be working alot on my 3d over the folowing months, I really, really want a job in the game industry! I would do anything to get in heck I'd start as janitor if I have too! but on a serious note I'm working extra hard on my 3d to get it at a professional level.
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Jaball I'll be refreshing my website right now!!
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some minor changes to the web site, although minor I find it soften everything up and places the focus on my art instead, thank you!!
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an editing note:

I think you can drop the "In my spare time" from your bio - just let it say that you have 10 years of experience in Photoshop, etc. etc.

Also, on your Black Dynamite character - the sheet with all the info has some conflicting information. You said 564 tris, but the poly count window says 530 selected.

The total number of tris is 650, which is consistent 530 + the accessories' tri count.

You could probably remove the Maya info window either way, and just write out how many tris there are.

But, don't be afraid to pump a few more tris into the character either if it can add to the model - 530 is low and you probably have some room to add more.

Finally, have you thought about looking into concept art positions? That would get you started in the industry, it would play to the strengths others have pointed out (2D), and you could work on your 3D while already working in the industry. Just a thought, but pursue whatever you are passionate about.
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny that you say I should remove in my spare time i just added that before posting it! lol ok I'll remove it...

I'm looking, but I wouldn't of thought of applying on a concept art position I didn't think my 2d was strong enough in all honesty I WOULD LOVE a concept art job but thought the way to go was enter as a modeler then work my way up to conept artist? Might of gotten that one upside down!? but either way I love both positions and would be a very happy camper doing either one!
  • Jasonin3d
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would love some feedback before I call this one done, thanks!
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    looks too skinny, it takes away from the menacing aspect of it. Why so low poly? I think this could have some potential if you pushed it. Get rid of the fork tongue imo
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's based on the gears of war character I wanted to bring it to lowpoly to see if I can
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    If you've got some spare cash and if you haven't already, consider enrolling in a non-credit traditional figure sculpting class. Your 2d figure work looks pretty solid, but I don't see the same quality in your 3d work yet. I could be way off, but I'm guessing that's because you learned well in a figure drawing class environment in school, but you've been learning 3d in a sterile computer lab with only technical guidance. So you know the software, and you can draw, but the artsier side of 3d (anatomy, form, and gesture and all that jazz) is probably what you need to work on. The skills carry over now more than ever, so I'd say do that. I haven't taken one myself, so I don't really know, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to enable "cache as bitmap" on your pictures in Flash if you're going with a Flash interface. It'll help keep them from looking artifacty when moving or if they're scaled.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Resume?

I've only been using 3D Programs for 3 years, so this little comment in your bio "a little more than 7 years with 3d programs such as Maya & 3d Max." doesn't show me your full 7 years. I ask for the resume so I can see what you were talking about and were the experience comes from. More modeling, higher texture res, higher geometry, more "stuff".

Your newest model is good, but give me something that I can be wowed about.

EDIT: What fly_soup said^^
  • Jasonin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fly_Soup: Super thanks! My next character should show more, anatomically, then I did with what is allready there. I was thinking of building a anatomically correct zbrush sculpt. Hope I can pull off what I see in my head!:poly121:

Whats_True : Thanks for your input, I could post a resume but since none of is industry related it would be pointless, I'd only be showing a good employment record, as for the years of experience in 2d and 3d it is purely peronal work-wise, some small projects for advertising here and there but nothing big.