Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Corridor Segment

This is a Sci-Fi style Tileable Corridor segment I have been working on.

High poly was made in Maya 2009, I used XNormal to bake Normals and AO, and I am about to start texturing this badboy!

Also the High poly is either a view port grab or just a small segment due to my computers lack of ability to render it :[

Comments Welcome!

HIGH:

SciFi_Wall.jpg
WallPart.jpg
Wall_nosmooth.jpg
Pillar.jpg

LOW POLY:

Low_Wall_1.jpg
Low_Wall_1_Wire.jpg
Low_Wall_2.jpg
Low_Wall_3.jpg

Replies

• Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    looking great jett12, the HP is really cool and the bake came out great. cant wait to see this textured
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, looks like that piece of wall alone could propel a spaceship, but it's really cool man :)
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!
    Fang wrote: »
    Wow, looks like that piece of wall alone could propel a spaceship, but it's really cool man :)

Made me laugh out loud really hard, haha.
  • Mimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work.

My one piece of advice would be that you are making details in your high poly, that may not come across on the low poly bake, due to texture size limitations. Also this is a corridor piece, so that again would restrict the texture size.

Keep up the good work, the true test is in the texturing.

edit: What are your texture sizes on the low poly btw?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    My reference folder is happy once again! :)

cool stuff
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice bake, the small details came out quite clear.

You could have the pillar sections as a separate object, it might give you more freedom with placement and you could re-use it somewhere else in your scene.
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimp: The texture size is 2048x2048 for the middle wall section (it is a mirror, except the middle tower like piece)

And another 2048 for the pillar's on the sides.

carlo_c: You right, and they are :D The pillars are separate, as is the wall.
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guy I did me some texturing!

Its not complete yet but I have a pretty good start, still no spec or texture detail normal yet, but that will come when i finish the diffuse =D

Also, I discovered the Marmoset engine the other day, I LOVE this tool, makes texturing accurately a breeze! 5 stars.

If anyone knows how to import multiple meshes and materials into it, that would be great!

As always, comments and crits and more than welcome.

RT_Texture1.jpg
    RT_Texture2.jpg
    WIP_Texture1.jpg
    WIP_Texture2.jpg
    WIP_Texture3.jpg
    WIP_Texture4.jpg
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    The piples look good, it it seems like the normal maps aren't doing much for the rest of the mesh that couldn't be achieved with just diffuse and spec.

It'd be nice to see some more colour in there somewhere, unless you're planing on adding that once in the level to add some drama.

Solid work though, love the big chunky pieces. :D
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Fun looking project. This is something you can just run wild on and have fun with.

Your textures are killing it, you mention you're still woring on the diffuse, so my feedback will be mainly directed torwards that area.. Firstly, your overlay is too noisy dude. Check this out:

crit_08.jpg

This is a great example of what you should want in your textures. This is a gun model I pulled from Lonewolf's portfolio site as an example to show what I feel you should be going for, and what you're doing to fuck it up.

I see you've painted some wear and tear in there. Right now, it looks like lead coverd in a light moss that dies when it contacts corners, or was artistically or unsuccessfully wiped away. What's odd is that, when the person figured out a dry rag wasn't goign to work, they decided to evenly wipe down everything so there wasn't a weird spot. You're still working on it, I follow that. But hear me out, this is good stuff.

You need to take the time to define the base metal material. You should define the material first, diffuse, spec, gloss, everything, before you move onto damaging it up. It works great. A texture overlay should define a material, not hide detail. Your use here makes me think you're just trying to discourage my eye from pulling out any detail (or more appropriately lack there of). The typical response you'll get from an Art Director, or someone that knows what they're talking about, is, "Your textures are noisy."

crit_09.jpg

Your texture details are blending into a maelstrom of grunge that it boarders. In other words, your grunge isn't clearly defined as grunge, your material isn't clearly defined, the wear and tear that reveals your material underneath what suggests to be metal under paint, isn't clearly defined. These things should be easily identified in a good texture. What you have here is a complete cluster-fuck of details that all merge into one single material. Rather than a material covered with grunge and scratches revealing a layer beneath.

I noticed you're painting in scratches from shit being dinked and hit with tools or whatever. Take a second glance back at Lonewolf's texture job. The dinks aren't that many. And, they are very clearly defined. You can outline them, they are so clear. Pay attention to his placement. He puts them on high-parts of the forms. Typically, I like to imagine skipping my item across the street or dropping it into a box filled with something logical.

It's victim of the the sandpaper bandit phenomenon.

crit_10.jpg

Here's a WIP (emphasis on WIP) from another thread, where Acid. has a good example of this. These wear marks aren't logical. Nothing would scratch off just the edge. Remember to pull your head out of Photoshop from time to time and to look at the model.

Hope that helps. Good luck. Your AO's are looking pretty weak, you may want to create an AO from just your lowpoly geometry, so you have those larger shadows from the larger forms. Handjobs!
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    Great one killingpeople, very educational. Post it somewhere as a minitut.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Cory, awesome awesome little break down man, I know I've defiantly been raped by the sandpaper bandit more then once (and i DON'T like it), but this post defiantly helped.

Interested in seeing where this goes jett, and for the love of all things uber, PLEASE stop rendering your scene! Use marm (as you did to show the props) or UE3 or something.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    !!!BANOT WASHE!!!
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. thanks for that crit, that is helpful.

I guess my new goal for today: simplify and de-noise.

So if i read you right, my metal base needs to be more 'readable' as metal, as well as my paint scratches need to be fewer, and in more logical places?

Also it seems my normals aren't rendering very well in Marmoset, and ideas why?
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    It's victim of the the sandpaper bandit phenomenon.

crit_10.jpg

ROFL - awesome image.

Jett12 - I can't open it right now as my PC is running out of memory - but I think you can turn up the strength of the bump effect - I think in the same way you can in 3dsmax (though I think you're using maya so that maybe totally meaningless to you. )
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    jett12 wrote: »
    Also it seems my normals aren't rendering very well in Marmoset, and ideas why?

you might need to invert the green channel?

Also it might be nice to define a few different types of metals. the pipes have some nice variation, but the walls just seem a bit too green: If you look here you can see lots of cool and warm grays, that help in breaking up some of the forms: It might be nice to try a range of cool and warm greens, or maybe some large areas of either cool or warm grays.
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that reference, very helpful and i will take that into consideration.

I guess i should have mentioned, i painted it all green for a base, wanted to add grunge and scratches etc. Then after that change the hue and play with other colors.

Im thinking green paint (with some good variations like you suggested), plus orange emissive and maybe a blue-ish or yellow light setup?

any pallet suggestions would be appreciated btw!

Almost done minimalizing my scratches and wear, i will update tmrw. I think I killed sandpaper bandit almost.
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so here is a new base.

The paint is just a flat color, with some scratches added, with a nice solid metal base below. Also has a very simple spec, (metal spec with a darker shade for the paint, or should the paint be glossier than metal?)

I will re-add some dirt and oils later(or should I not?), but for now i'm just wondering, have I got rid of the sandpaper bandit effect? Does this look like legit wear?

comments welcome, thx!

screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is my current diffuse, if anyone cares to see it.

[IMG][/img]Wall_DIFF.jpg
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some AO now maybe?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks much better to me, but in marmo I can't even tell if the normals are applied or not?
    I'd do KPs low poly AO suggestion
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I like it, but I think you should try and get a bit of colour variation in there.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Love the modelling but don't like the texture. I feel that one is fighting against the other, The first renders look so much better. You already got too much detail on the normal map, take out some noise and focus the grunge where it really should be. And give special attention to the specular. The way it is now, you don't have much material definition.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    looks much better to me, but in marmo I can't even tell if the normals are applied or not?
    I'd do KPs low poly AO suggestion

I'm not sure if lowpoly AO is the sollution, as it seems he has baked parts seperately, so sub object to sub object AO is completely missing.

you could definately paint some AO in there jett12, there are alot of pieces neighboring to eachother, but since you most likely baked them exploded they lack the AO that should be there.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, jett12, I can see clearly now, the rain is gone! *dances*
    So if i read you right, my metal base needs to be more 'readable' as metal, as well as my paint scratches need to be fewer, and in more logical places?
    You got it. Now when you add final details, such as mustard stains (the mechanic has an anus for an elbow, that shits hot mustard, you see) you'll add them in such a way that their material properties will be very separate and appear deliberately logical, not the other way around; procedural/randomized, washed out, and noisy.
    The paint is just a flat color, with some scratches added, with a nice solid metal base below. Also has a very simple spec, (metal spec with a darker shade for the paint, or should the paint be glossier than metal?)
    That all depends. But generally speaking, Paint is usually duller than metal but, some is shiny! Think Blizzard's Space Marine cinematic *melts*

Here's some other things I feel has room for improvement.

crit_11.jpg

Geo advice (in jizz):
    A. Model these guys out in the low, you're pushing the normal map too hard here, imo.
    B. How dare you. Cover the clipping here. Model in some type of junction piece.
    C. This thing looks stupid. I'd model in some junk to make it look more interesting. Removing the gray piece entirely and just texturing in a warning label or something there would be better.
    D. Model in these into the low as well.
    E. The edges are too sharp on your highpoly or something. Maybe beveling the edge in your lows here would prevent, what looks to be, your smoothing groups from cutting such a sharp edge in these areas. Model in transitional strips in your highpoly so these seams aren't so harsh. I'd definately add something in the crease where the wall panels and that center panel meet. Those circles, I forgot to label. You should model in screws here in your highpoly. Just use floating geometry.

Texture advice (in penis)
    1. Black holes (diff & spec) Nice overlay on this metal.
    2. I'd consider even going into this area and modeling in some light fixtures. I felt this are wasn't very interesting.
    3. Where's the texture in these areas? It looks off. Is that your normal map doing this maybe? Your normals to appear pretty light. Make sure you're baking shit right, good bakes. Normals/ao are essential. Your other textures greatly rely on them.
    4. I'd add some type of radial overlay here, rather than straight streaks. They look great on the front face of the drum, that's my favorite overlay area.
    5. Seam issues. Be certain you have enough edge padding in your UVs and bakes.
    6. You have light green painted metal panels, a medium valued brown metal (along the top) and light gray metal elements. Looking at your color/diffuse flats alone shows how your three materials are essentially the exact same value. You should to push their values around so that they will contrast one another, making the larger elements more readable and interesting. Balanced contrast = more interesting composition.
    7. Pushing the range of your AOs will make the edges of your forms pop. Don't watermark your shit, that's tacky. *snoots*

Light overlay - You don't just want a flat color, so maybe you went a little too clean. Not a bad thing really, it's just looking too computerized/cg plastic. The balance you're making is between too boring and too noisy. Keep it light enough that's its describing the material's surface, and not so far as to become heavy grunge or noise. That's the general understanding anyway.

Here's a good one that might work nice for painted metal:
    http://mayang.com/textures/Metal/images/Flat%20Metal%20Textures/metal_slightly_blistered_paint_6262968.JPG

-killing.jett12
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Great feedback! I'm learning a lot with this thread.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm gonna model a sci fi wall piece now just so I can get some ninja crits from kp.. good stuff
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klassy Kolor Key Killing.
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok here we go:

I've redone the normals, and all of the AO, I think you guys will like it much better now.

I have added a little grunge and oils to the texture... combined that front piece with the back vents to save texture space, modeled out the little circles at top, and changed the pipe connector, though in these renders it is kind of clipping(accidently moved it up)

That being said, I did a quick, but i think pretty effective spec map, and also did a texture detail normal map, just to see how it works with the spec, and I think it's looking great!

These are still a few seams here and there that I have been putting off, but that is next.

Thanks for all the comments, especially kp, those are some great tips, and sorry about the water marked texture sheet being tacky ...some might even say drawing dicks and jizz on anothers art is tacky :D

..but not me, and to say thanks for all your help I drew you this:
    dickasauraus.jpg

And the renders...

RT_1.jpg

RT_2.jpg

RT_3.jpg
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To the poster and KP:

Thanks for the awesome thread! It's great to see a very in-depth breakdown of how geo/texture can work together as opposed to detracting from one another.

If I may add my 2 cents... it would be cool to see some harder contrast in the AO; really push the blacks where they need it along things like grooves and object edges. Also, the pipes could use some burn or exhaust marks along the perforations, and I think those holes could be exaggerated both in size and in depth. Little details in the metal could be pushed in the specular as well. I think the pipes would benefit from some harder/brighter light bouncing off via the spec map, for sure. If you break up how the spec is doing its thing across the different materials, it'll be much more dramatic.

Seriously though, great stuff and a very educational thread!
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now this looks way better!

I agree on the even-more-ao theory.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great Jett, really nice improvement.

You should whip up a quick floor and ceiling mesh and put a little scene together. :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dick-o-saurus lulz
    It's look'n better dude, good job.
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated Pillar:

RT_Texture1.jpg
    RT_Texture2.jpg
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty guys I'm calling this done, I know it isn't perfect, but I feel as though it's pretty damn good :D

Thanks for all the help and support, but I need to focus on some other projects atm. I do plan on making a ceiling and floor, after stacking rows of them it really made me want to do some sort of junction and so-on, but that will have to wait.

Any comments and crits are still welcome, and thanks again!

http://www.jettfolio.com/fpage_SciFiWall.html

RT_1.jpg

RT_2.jpg

RT_3.jpg
    .RT_4.jpg
    RT_5.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I love modular stuff, you should make a less busy simpler wall to go with that to break up the detail and allow the players eyes to rest.
  • jett12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I agree, i was thinking maybe a wall that's basically the same, but without that middle tower, and maybe smaller or no pipes. Then a curves section for turns into different areas and what not.

I need a hyperbolic time chamber to accomplish everything I want to do :D