Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hobbyist portfolio - Yes, it's Lom Chaos'

Hello all my awesome polycounters. I've been working on my stuff and would like to show you some of my things that are related to prop/hardsurface environment as that is the type of 3D art I want to do after college.
I have got most of my knowledge and skill set by a pure drive and passion into what I am hoping to do in life. More about this on my about page ;D

As.. everyones pretty much knows of my age I'm merley just a hobbyist and I would love to take the skills I have aqquired from a very young age into the industry. Okay, if I keep writing I am going to make a recipe for flame grilled thread so I'll shut up and hand my CarbonMade (TM) portfolio over.

Keep in mind I'm a hobbyist and actually not even in a game related school yet please.

I would appreciate honest replies. I know I have a long way to go but keep in mind the above. Oh, one more, thing - for the people who see the name "Lom Chaos" in a thread - it doesn't mean you can post random animal pictures. Haha.
Thanks

http://chaos3dart.carbonmade.com/

I want you guys to just say if I'm going in the right direction but I really don't want some guy to come in and say "No" like the last time.
Please just be honest and polite.. I know this is Lom Chaos we're talking about but... just.. you know.

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Everyone visiting your portfolio and site isn't going to get a disclaimer "I'm just a young hobbyist, don't take the current quality of my work seriously because I can do better." Even still, thats a pretty lame disclaimer to have to say anywhere - especially if you're serious about making sweet art. it doesnt matter what or who you are, its what you make with who you are.

for the portfolio:

Not sure why you have "Project Restriction" and "hard surfaces" broken up, for nothing other than so you can have two sections on your site. You should probably combine those two.

These images look like the same images you tossed up into yoru threads as well, put some more time and effort into presenting them! Hide the UT hud (type togglehud in console, or screenshotmode 1), take some pretty shots.

You need more content :) I'm not saying that sign isn't a good sign, but.... its just a sign, and you have 3 screenshots of it :) Make a lot of signs and maybe come up with a way to make them modular with material instances, or other material tweaks.

That first piece in the hard surfaces section has some promise! its good, would hope to see more of that in the portfolio! W/ the knife, you dont need to tell people your tricks of how you got stuff to look a certain way. Let us imagine how you possibly did it, or think you did it another way. You may be proud you learned how to do it, but you dont need to show that off. Its a sweet model, make some awesome sweet renders of it!! The computer monitor is ... more content, but i dont think you need to include it, or the ugly white box with text.

congrats on getting a site, now get some some more non-redundant content :)

and a side off-topic note, please.. do not go to a "game related school." go to a state university or institution and study ART, digital or whatever you like... and do game art in your own time. You seem excited about art and game art - you should not rush into collegiate education by picking something because its a "game school." You don't need/want a "game degree" to work in the games industry. Study history, english, writing, psychology, music, math, and things that aren't art, so you can develop your art skills from other topics :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    +1 to everything moose said.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I too agree and give moose +1, Awesome post.
    Woah... uhm.. thanks for that - I just remembered that I have that monitor in their. I made that 6 months ago ! No joke! :)
    And for the general presentation I sort of started the Folio as a "Hey look what I can do" to some of my gamer friends and know it's time to change that into a more proffesional presentation.

Again, thank you so much Moose.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    You might want to run your "about me" page through a spell check. And to echo the above statement, you constantly talk about your age. It doesn't matter. I've seen 16 year olds that put out amazing work that blows your stuff and a lot of people's stuff on this site or any other completely out of the water. So saying "hey look at me, I'm only 16 and look what I can do!" isn't probably the best way to go. Check out Tyson Ibele's work and that dude's only 22 years old and was doing amazing work years ago. The age thing doesn't matter.

As for the site, I would just have it all in one section of thumbnails, instead of being broken up like that. Keep at it and add more work as you go, keeping in mind to replace your weaker stuff as you make more kickass art..
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a note on one of your screenshots, the Marmoset render of the monitor.

I think it'd look better if you took out the white box and just make the text font white (and maybe put it in the bottom right corner or something, play with the scale and all) - if you even need to have the text at all since the MonkeyLabs logo is at the bottom and everything. You could remove that box and just take a larger render.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to run your "about me" page through a spell check. And to echo the above statement, you constantly talk about your age. It doesn't matter. I've seen 16 year olds that put out amazing work that blows your stuff and a lot of people's stuff on this site or any other completely out of the water. So saying "hey look at me, I'm only 16 and look what I can do!" isn't probably the best way to go. Check out Tyson Ibele's work and that dude's only 22 years old and was doing amazing work years ago. The age thing doesn't matter.

Heared it all before. k. Done changed. Thanks for the positive post mate. Heh, it's sarcasm day, did you know that?
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    ****moose beat me, but here's my post.. I spent good time writing it! lol

Well, I dont like that you keep referring yourself as a hobbyist and keep bringing up your age. It's like you're setting yourself up to justify any work that you know is not good. You're only hindering your progress with that attitude. Also, there have been many great artists who are self taught and without game related schooling so don't use that excuse either.

I think your strongest peice is that door thing in your "hard surface" section. It looks good, although 2048 texture sheet is a bit large for something like that. The next thing that I feel is good is your knife, and I think you should get it baked and textured. As for the rest, like the sign, grate, box crate.. they seem more like props in a scene than deserving their own spot in your portfolio. In fact, your yellow sign has like 4 screenshots in your whole site, 3 times in the project restriction and again in the "hard surface" section. Also, when I think of "hard surface", I think of stuff a bit more complex than what you have in that section. It's more of a "props" section than "hard surface".

I think ways on how you can improve right now, without needing to goto school, is to do a simple prop from a real life reference. Post your progress here in the PnP section and really listen to the critiques and suggestions. And don't be afraid to spend alot of time on a prop as long as you are learning and end up with a high quality asset in the end. I mean, that's how you can use your age as an advantage, you've pretty much got all the time in the world right now
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kk, flame grilled thread coming up. Anyone want doubles?
    I'll take fries with that.

(Alexk - I've changed the site now)
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    LoM Chaos wrote: »
    kk, flame grilled thread coming up. Anyone want doubles?
    I'll take fries with that.

seriously? cmon.. all posts here have been honest AND constructive. you gotta make mistakes and have people point them out in order to improve. Don't take it personally, and take it as a chance to get better
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    let me be brutally honest.

i find it annoying that you keep emphasizing "LoM Chaos" as your name. It sounds very online game tag-ish with a clan tag. sounds very immature to be honest. why not just use your real name ? LoM Chaos is not even consistent with your website name prefix (which is ChaisV49).

another thing, you got an image of a high poly knife and it looks like a great model but it is kind of ruined by your markings on top of it that looks like an after thought (marking about the floater geo, u really dont need to mention that specially not like a crappy arrow painted like that)

i was gonna write more but people before me already said it all.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, I dunno if you know my "history" here. Go and check some of the posts. As soon as I post the word age I get pictures of animals and all that crap.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    let me be brutally honest.

i find it annoying that you keep emphasizing "LoM Chaos" as your name. It sounds very online game tag-ish with a clan tag. sounds very immature to be honest. why not just use your real name ? LoM Chaos is not even consistent with your website name prefix (which is ChaisV49).

another thing, you got an image of a high poly knife and it looks like a great model but it is kind of ruined by your markings on top of it that looks like an after thought (marking about the floater geo, u really dont need to mention that specially not like a crappy arrow painted like that)

i was gonna write more but people before me already said it all.

No, it's not ChaisV49. It's ChaosV49.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17

Congratulations!

you have successfully pointed out a typing mistake because the "i" key is next to the "o" key in keyboard. you should now start looking for a job.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But I can't I'm just an "immature" little kid, right?;) Aren't I?

(Updated Knife picture)

More importantly (Changed site name and title)
    ...thanks.

http://taylorhoodgameart.carbonmade.com/

Do you think the site is better in "list" mode?
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Age and Hobbyist doesn't matter, it's whether you create gurrrrdddd art.

Also, a pointer - You shouldn't be over confident and start correcting people and shit on this forum, people aren't here looking for spelling corrections and a large portion of these guys work in the industry and it is pretty childish.

I'm 18, I started art when I was 16, I don't know how old you are, but if people start to think your being assholish then they won't comment on your work and people will just blacklist you.

I don't know you so I say this with the interest of helping you and not judging.

Rest assured age means NOTHING on this forum.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Age and Hobbyist doesn't matter, it's whether you create gurrrrdddd art.

Also, a pointer - You shouldn't be over confident and start correcting people and shit on this forum, people aren't here looking for spelling corrections and a large portion of these guys work in the industry and it is pretty childish.

I'm 18, I started art when I was 16, I don't know how old you are, but if people start to think your being assholish then they won't comment on your work and people will just blacklist you.

I don't know you so I say this with the interest of helping you and not judging.

Rest assured age means NOTHING on this forum.

Well, if you look at the crappy about section you'd find out dude.
  • Hitez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that first picture...the wall thing...what is that? its a massive slate with a bunch of squres cut into it with circles cut into that?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh well, it's for my project. Called project restriction. It's set in the year 2041. I had in mind a very high tech er, speaking machine for the entrance to the house I was going to create. You know the thing that you sometimes get in flats/mansions and you have to press a button then speak? I mean.. it is 2041...could be anything.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I checked the section, feedback wise I would recommend writing it out in word and spell checking it.

Though you should of taken my feedback into account and thanked me for my time instead of giving a coy comment.

You can probably take your age completely off your site, I see no need for it - art is what matters.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Rather just look at MM´s history and show some respect.
    Its not your age its the attitude that comes with it that is not
    justified by any artworks.
    Just work and post it and say heres my wip not more.
    That way you will get comments focused only on that!

About the site. Congrats you got one :)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disco, it's a free service website. I plan to get my own one soon. But this one is pretty good and is free, like I said.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh well, it's for my project. Called project restriction. It's set in the year 2041. I had in mind a very high tech er, speaking machine for the entrance to the house I was going to create. You know the thing that you sometimes get in flats/mansions and you have to press a button then speak? I mean.. it is 2041...could be anything.

Sorry for coming back like this man but I have best intentions to help you at heart, as an artist it's your job to think what these things are used for, everything you model onto it should have a purpose, It's simple to put random stuff on a model and say it's the year 2200 but once you move past that and put more thought into design your work will improve more too ;)

Hope you realize I'm trying to help you, You seem like myself when I started a few years back so nudging in the right direction is important.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    Rather just look at MM´s history and show some respect.
    Its not your age its the attitude that comes with it that is not
    justified by any artworks.
    Just work and post it and say heres my wip not more.
    That way you will get comments focused only on that!

I would be so chuffed to have an artist on his caliber comment on my work, I would never dream of being smart with him. As I said, you never know who you're talking too unless you check they're foliooooo. :)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spell checked about me section.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    First things first, you need to get over the "immature little kid" thing. Regardless of your "history" here, as it stands now, you are the one furthering your reputation as immature. This thread now contains paragraphs of helpful, constructive criticism. People have taken time out of their day to offer you a serious critique, and you should be grateful for that.

Criticism is one of the most important steps in creating good art, so you need to learn to take criticism, of all types, without becoming overly defensive. It will help you to grow as an artist, and you will earn more respect when you begin to take others' criticisms and incorporate them into your work.

I think that the presentation is weak. I can't fault you for using the simple carbonmade imageviewer, but you do have control over your screengrabs, and all of them have room for improvement.

The [current] first image in the slideshow, the Sci-Fi Door/Wall panel:
    The image is cluttered, making it difficult to really appreciate the piece. There isn't a label of what work is yours, and those who know Unreal will know that the gun is stock, but it isn't labeled one way or the other, so people may get confused. Label the asset you created. As an environment/prop artist, you're obviously going to want your props to be a part of a scene, but currently you just have a few of them lined up in the editor. As someone said earlier, turn the HUD off and take some nice screengrabs, or even throw it into Marmoset and take your screens there. Considering building a scene with existing unreal props and incorporating your stuff.

The CCTV Sign:
    While the first image has all the info about textures and engine, the second has none. It's just a picture of a sign. As rendered, it doesn't appear to use a normal or spec map, but tell us that it doesn't, so we can be sure. Again, consider placing it in a scene.

3rd image:
    Turn the HUD off, focus on the stuff that's yours. Currently you're doing yourself a big disservice by having the Gun in the scene, because the gun looks professional, and your stuff pales in comparison. Label the assets.

I've got to head out now, but I can finish this up later. I don't want to come off sounding like a pretentious dick, especially considering the work I've shown about these parts has been hella-weak, but I do have a fine art education, and I understand the importance of good criticism.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ok first off stop using your god damn age as an excuse. Racer445 is only 16 and produces amazing art. Just keep practicing, lose the attitude about everyone picking on you because of your age.

People will respect you and take you more serious if you try and take yourself more serious.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, MM. But remember, it's a capital 'I' after a full stop ;) hehe

Yeah, sorry for disrespecting you.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a couple I can still see mate, not trying especially hard to find them.

Determind

I've self taught myself ( You've already said you're self taught )

I enjoy gaming, game art and game development. ( these are good, but pretty much everyone does this, perhaps some other hobbies if you must)

remove your age ( It may be easy to throw your age around, once you move past this you'll start to earn respect )

unforunatley

Could probably word most of it in a more intuitive way too.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok first off stop using your god damn age as an excuse. Racer445 is only 16 and produces amazing art. Just keep practicing, lose the attitude about everyone picking on you because of your age.

People will respect you and take you more serious if you try and take yourself more serious.

Good for him, oh seriously he's a god at what he does and I wish I could be him. Good for racer! Everyone cheer!

The only thing I look forward to in life is MAYBE the chance to work in the industry.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a couple I can still see mate, not trying especially hard to find them.

Determind

I've self taught myself ( You've already said you're self taught )

I enjoy gaming, game art and game development. ( these are good, but pretty much everyone does this, perhaps some other hobbies if you must)

remove your age ( It may be easy to throw your age around, once you move past this you'll start to earn respect )

unforunatley

Could probably word most of it in a more intuitive way too.

Thanks, I'll go back, add, and subtract some stuff. Generally clean the thing up.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good for him, oh seriously he's a god at what he does and I wish I could be him. Good for racer! Everyone cheer!

The only thing I look forward to in life is MAYBE the chance to work in the industry.

It's not that hes a god mate, It's that hes mature and doesn't throw his age around.

Once again you posted sarcastically and came off as immature, just relax people have nothing against you, they post here to help you not to slam you.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

:poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122:
    sex drugs rock and roll anyone?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't know but some people have shit days.. other have shit lifes. Can't be happy all the time, right?

I'm being sarcastic because I know how Sh--t turns out. I know I'm sounding emo.. but I roll my eyes because I've been here before.

Things can be expressed thru words.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122::poly122:
    sex drugs rock and roll anyone?

Poly 122? Let me guess, some sort of code for "Ban the moron"?

Well, I'm heading off - keep those... nice crits in amongst the flames coming ;S later.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No thats polycount not being able to add so many emoticons behind each other it seems.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't know but some people have shit days.. other have shit lifes. Can't be happy all the time, right?

I'm being sarcastic because I know how Sh--t turns out. I know I'm sounding emo.. but I roll my eyes because I've been here before.

Things can be expressed thru words.

Dude pretty much everyone on this site is better than me, racer445 is two years younger and trumps me easily, I can do nothing about that except focus forward and improve and my own rate.

A professional is an amateur who never gave up.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Heared it all before. k. Done changed. Thanks for the positive post mate. Heh, it's sarcasm day, did you know that?

Dude, I find it hard to believe that someone that honestly has a looooong way to go will be as sarcastic and flippant and flat out immature as you're being in some of your posts on here. Just a friendly heads up.

Anywhoo, back to the site; head to Jesse Moody's site and check out how he has one image that shows off his robot walker dude. You kinda did that with your wall panel thing, but it looks sloppy. I would do something like that for all of your assets. Maybe 2 beauty shots or in game renders, a wireframe, and the texture flats all on one image with a little info like texture size, tri count, etc. for each asset that you have. That will do a lot to help the presentation.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi LoM Chaos,

How have you been, I am here to return the many favors that I owe you. It has all been said and done. My advice: create something you are passionate about, is it weapons? buildings? characters? WHAT INSPIRES YOU? Use that fuel to start your engine to success. We all beat ourselves up when we are slapped with failure, but you know what bro? Once you hit rockbottom that's it. which is why you have to struggle to overcome what is holding you down and fight to never give up, to always want to be the best of who you can become.

I personally love hand painted the most, which is what I will start to focus on more after my german hospital is done. Learning is fun, embrace it and keep looking forward and ONLY look behind you to see how far you have came, then look forward to see what you can become.

Hope this helped lighten things up for everybody, keep working hard and listen to others, we all have strengths and weaknesses because we simply complete one another, so take advantage of that and always cheer up. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I'm sounding emo..

In that case, you'll most likely be a great environment artist!

But for real, independant of your actual work, your trolling and immaturity has given you a name. This is really bad for networking, I would for one not recommend you on the premise of that alone.

Maybe it somehow didn't get through yet (why i cannot fathom), but managing your public image is something you do for yourself, not for us, it helps you get a job.

*also correct spelling mistakes on the about page :)
  • achillesian
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    you reply too goddamn much to your own threads.

Even if a thread is ABOUT YOU you still attention whore in them.

stop posting until you grow up a little, you're making an ass of yourself
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18

He he...
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Hello all my awesome Polycounters. I would like to show you some of the props I have been working on.

I am looking for constructive criticism and I appreciate your honesty.

Thanks

http://chaos3dart.carbonmade.com/

Fixed for you.
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with what everyone else said. Showing low poly's and examples of your texture work is good too. Your arch shaped building is too low poly in areas for such a large object. Use the amount of polygons necessary, just make sure there are no wasted poly's. Your first model looks pretty good but the presentation needs work. Keep it up you are well on your way!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    It's the attitude, dude. fucking leave it at the door, it's getting obnoxious as hell. You don't have to reply to everyone with either a sarcastic or, 'witty' as you might think it, reply. no one is interested and it's not gaining you any friends.

as for your work, keep at it and you will be a strong candidate. however, as of now that's the least of the problems.

Solid start on the website. I look forward to seeing the stuff you kick out in the future.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i agree with bounchfx. the attitude doesnt help at ALL. That's why people post random pictures and dont take your posts seriously. You always have sarcastic/witty comments. Yes, other people do that too, but alot of the guys on this site are friends with each other from previous jobs. Leave your jokes and sarcastic comments out for awhile. focus on nothing but friendly, constructive crits, STOP talking about your age, and people will start giving you better feedback.

as for your site, i like the layout. but in alot of your pics, its just one or two props in engine. If you`re only going to show 1 or 2 objects, do nice renders of it instead. in game pictures should only be of full scenes, and they should definitely not have a gun or UI in it.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    You wanna know why people remember/find out about your history here? It's because you keep reminding everyone about it! That, along with your age, etc.
  • EviLCHiMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoM what you don't understand is polycount isn't a bunch of amateur artist's. This community is filled with professionals who have been in the business for years and worked there way up to where they are now. You're coming onto this forum acting like you're some kind of prodigy that doesn't even try but makes such self-proclaimed amazing work. If you come to this site looking for crits well then, you're going to get alot of them from a professional perspective.

You'll eventually realize that the real world isn't some candy coated palace of people waiting to pat you on the back because you think you're good for something at your age. Get over yourself or get out. Ofcourse nobody expects you to understand any of this "maturity" gibberish we all speak of because after all, you are only 16, right?
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, the last bit made me laugh. You think that I think that the world is a "cany coated palace of people" - it couldn't be further from the truth. This world - Sh--- hole.

Anyways,
    Thanks Slipsius and Mazvix.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, seriously put an end to this. We all have messed up big time in our lives, but that is just part of life's voyage. It is always easier to point the finger and be harsh, instead try approach others with a different approach. We all respond differently, do not fight fire with fire or evil with evil, cut the kid some slack and let us not flame someone that needs our help even if he doesn't get it, no matter how many times you throw compassion it will always come back to you instead of just being plain angry. Let us all cheer up and put this behind us and start over please.