Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sewer escape scene

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
I put this together after seeing some great shots of some Templar tunnels. My thought process was that this passage was very old and led to a holding place for some sort of monster or something from ages past, and it has escaped. I've got the layout pretty much done, just a little stuck on what else to add, it seems like it needs some more to really sell it. Looking for some C&C, and would appreciate any suggestions.

wireframe.jpg

testrendert.jpg

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    If this passage is very old then I think you'll need to revisit you textures. Depending on how old very old is those wooden planks would have started to decay and there would be a lot more mold and mildew growing about.

As for some extra stuff to add. Maybe, depend on location, some leaves, branches, garbage, rats, birds, bats, a flashlight someone dropped while running away?

Hope this helps a bit.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think you're dead on about the mildew, and I will definitely be putting some more attention on the wood. The flashlight idea is good as well. Might add that as well as some other things along those lines.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like where you're going with this nice work so far =)

Its a bit monochromatic I think you could work in some other colors and really bring it to life. Maybe yellow up the lights like old flood lights and also more crap on the walls, water stains ect...

Paint over:
    OzySewerEscapePO.jpg
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    I think I could look a little picky, but omni lights make the scene quite unreal, because shadows are completely off. The lighting devices you chose, light at max in an half space. Try area lights right above the emitting surfaces. I'm quite sure they will change the whole mood.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it. The paint over is a big help vig, and I'll be looking at using area lights as well. Will most likely post an update in a few days after I've got some progress made when I have more free time available.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Awesome, love the textures and lighting so far.

Have a few crits on the door section;
    It looks way too thick, has too many polies in the wrong place and the texture is flat. Reducing thickness by 50%, chamfering the outside of it for 16 extra tris and reducing some from those inner cylinders should help balance it out and would look much more convincing.

Also I can't tell where it came from, the bent bars ahead suggest it was broken off from there but the dammage suggests it wasn't, no sign of a handle or hinges. Check out some prison doors.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, not as much free time as I would have liked, didn't really get a chance to add more assets, like the flashlight or the extra pieces to the door, but I did add some color to the lighting and put some more color variation in the textures. Hopefully will get more time this weekend to put more into it.

lightingdirt.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    a few broken floor boards would help this nicely. and since there is a fair amount of water, maybe a bit of blue lighting. its definitely too light right now. darken up those lights
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, not as much done as I would like, real life keeps getting my way, downed the lights a little big, added some more pieces of the door, started the flashlight, but nothing I want to show in the scene yet.

newrender.jpg
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the light might be a bit too flat. Try emphasizing the shadows from the bars to give it a bit more atmosphere.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great point about the shadows from the bars, I think thats definitely something thats lacking. I'll get on that tomorrow, along with the flashlight and possibly a bloody helmet left over. Quick question though, I was thinking of adding some claw marks on the walls of the sewer, but I'm not entirely sure how to get them in there, anyone got any ideas? I initially though of decals, but Im not sure how to overlay them, my first attempt failed bigtime.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't had time to do too much lately. Reworked some lighting and put in a couple flashlights. I still feel there needs to be more in here, and I'm toying around with some things today, but here is the most recent.

newlighting.jpg
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    I think some better reference could help you a lot.

http://www.riversides.org/websiteimages/sewer_400.jpg
    http://magliery.com/Graphics/MoreFrance/paris-sewer.jpg
    http://www.vagabondish.com/wp-content/uploads/paris-sewer.jpg

You'll notice in these shots, especially the first and last that the water runs through the middle, and the walkways are on the sides, i think if you want to still have this area that looks like a boss enemy exists you should better show this, perhaps for example in paris-sewer picture have the end of the tunnel much darker, with one downcast light from a street opening above light some sort of ugly form (not much detail is needed here) with blood splatters and scratches in the concrete where the enemy exists. Notice also that you have used quite a warm orange in you'r scene, this really does not portrey the environment you are trying to create, I would suggest using some dirty lime greens to portray the 'yuky' of the sewers (important this green is quite desaturated, not like summers grass green) and having either red as a warning of the approaching boss/ enemy or dark blues from the street opening.

I would suggest taking your scene into Unreal because using this prerendered is making your scene feel very fake at the moment (the very crisp shadows and the super-duper reflections) and I think taking it into a game package could help you a lot here, also probably giving you a bit more freedom with post-processing and ground fog being very easy.