Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Out of Oil Stockholm

Thought i would post a school project we had this summer.

http://www.vimeo.com/6995648

The theme was given to everyone in the class to give their own take on the given subject, the rules where that sweden ran out of oil 1973 and was then isolated, and after that it was up to us to make up what happend.

The short is set in a worn down version of the stockholm central station, now a warzone.

This was quite a big project for us, the entire project folder was around 20 gigs of files, and the renderd images (consisting of 15000 seperate images with all the render layers etc) ended up being 250 gigs at full HD resolution.

We will probably touch up the models at a later time, since we where on sutch short time some of the models didnt get the love they deserved.

Made by Pontus Ryman, Björn Malmgren Patrick Nyblad and Nikola Durkan.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty awesome work, nice rendering. I like the atmosphere and particles.

My only beef is that tanks get gallons to the mile and are pretty ineffective in urban combat, especially in delicate operations inside buildings?

Ok two beefs, a lot of stuff looked pretty new. Looks like bullets are flying but no impacts from the shots fired or previous shots fired in other battles?

Overall its pretty bad ass and a huge kudo's to getting a lot of work done to a pro level in a pretty short time.
  • PL-Fighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PL-Fighter polycounter lvl 10
    Look realy Cool.
    Nice Atmosph
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Title is "Echoes" by heavy metal band "Heaven Shall Burn"

As for bullets, we were going to have somekind of bullet traces etc but we didnt have the time.
    Would definately have been a good thing to add, there is a TON of stuff we wanted to add, but the vision always gets a bit smaller in the end due to time and technical stuff.

We had to learn a whole lot to make all the effects and so on, none of us knew much about particles or or dynamics, which where used to create the explosion and other effects.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic work!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spitfire wrote: »
    Title is "Echoes" by heavy metal band "Heaven Shall Burn"

As for bullets, we were going to have somekind of bullet traces etc but we didnt have the time.
    Would definately have been a good thing to add, there is a TON of stuff we wanted to add, but the vision always gets a bit smaller in the end due to time and technical stuff.

We had to learn a whole lot to make all the effects and so on, none of us knew much about particles or or dynamics, which where used to create the explosion and other effects.
    I have no doubt that with a little more time you guys could blow the doors off of this and that could be hard to do, its really awesome. I really look forward to seeing what you guys crank out in the future.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Beautiful work there man, I like it alot. Nice emotion on the blonde character firing his rifle. Kind of wish it was longer since it was such an awesome scene. It would be nice to see some kind of WIP progress, and wires.

Great work! :)
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im pretty new to polycount so there aint any wips anymore, but i can dig up some wires etc
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    presentation wise nice yes, but...

- the font at the beginning,- thats just not fitting at all.
    - theme: yet again glorifying war and male soldiers with a clich
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wasn't a fan of the limited color pallet
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    If I spontaneously just look at the premise, no oil + isolation, it feels very strange that we're seeing high tech modern soldiers and tanks. Not at all what I'd expect.
    Consider the industry required to produce these things, especially if a small country such as Sweden would also be isolated from the rest of the world.

Other than that I liked the camera movement and the action that was frozen in time, especially the debris in the air.