Home Technical Talk

Help with Reactor

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey all!

I'm trying to create a water effect in max for a scene with a fountain in it. Basically I want the water to have a ripple effect as the water from the fountain pool into the bottom of the fountain.

I looked online for water tutorials and discovered reactor water which seems like the best way to achieve what I want.

The problem is that for some reason, when I follow the tutorials to a T, the water doesn't react at all. In fact, I even found a new tutorial on YouTube ([ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whoTEmGFhNU[/ame]) and when I do everything this person does to create an effect, my objects don't react properly. For example, 40 seconds into the video, this person has created a sphere, turned it into a rigid body and upon running the simulation, the sphere falls, lands in the water and floats. My sphere however simply falls through the water and keeps going. It doesn't float and I can't seem to tweak anything to make it work.

I don't get how following the tutorials implicitly, I get completely different (read: no) results.

Can anyone help me out?

Oh, and I'm running max 2009

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're after just a ripple effect you can use space warps. The wave space warp (far right) is great for ripple effects. It might be more precise and predictable than a reactor sim?
    il_spacewarp_overview.jpg
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I could play with those... I tried getting a way to work on the top of a subdivided sphere, but it didn't get the results I wanted... I'll play around with it a bit more.

How did you get the wave to be 360 degrees? When I apply a wave modifier, it seems to be flat.

Still wondering why reactor isn't behaving properly though... did they change something that I don't know about in the 2009 version?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry you want ripple not wave...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and reactor is probably dorking out because its system is heavily dependent on your unit setup and the scale of your objects. I think it works best in native max units and on a real world scale, which puts the home grid at about 6ft across. If your object is really small or really big it effects reactor big time.

From what I understand reactor water is more of a buoyancy system than a ripple generator? I'm not really sure how they got the ripples in the end...
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right. Yeah, I converted to real world units (feet) so my pool is 200 ft across and 90 feet deep. The ripple comes when you move a solid object through the water but I'll just go with a modeled water plane and animate the gizmo position. I wonder if there's an easy way to crate a water ripple effect where the rings grow as they move towards the edge of the pool?
    I guess I could just create a few ripple planes and animate them being scaled.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you can animate the scale on the ripple spacewarp gizmo?