Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Model low poly Spiteful

Hi there, I've recently started a Foundation degree in Games Development which requires modelling something I'm not used too. Normally when I've made maps other people (friends) have given me thier content and I've used that. Sadly it's now time for me to learn mdoelling and it's been a hard two weeks (technically four days worth of lessons is all I've had in Max) this is the result so far of four days work, the model is supposed to be a low poly spiteful f14.

7023_1256382414156_1367463762_30756767_2486573_n.jpg

I could do with some feedback and some crit on it but the deadline for the model to be in is Tuesday and then we're moving onto unwrapping it then texturing it. Alot of edges and vertexes still need tidying up which is what I am doing at the moment before I move any further.

Replies

• Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well starting off this is looking good but it is not really low poly at the moment, is this going to be the start of the high poly?

You seem to have a lot of edge loops that you could get rid. What is your poly limit for the prop? what is your current poly count?

And it might help with poly count to make the wings and the cockpit and the tail flaps separate objects.
  • McMonkeyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've been told that the flaps are to be left alone they'll be dealt with during texturing. Our poly count is 2,000. I do intend to remove quite a few edges when I've modelled the cockpit because that areas alive with information. Infact I think it all needs adjusting and tidying up before I go removing edges. I really don't intend to fail this project because the modelling will be my weakest point as the next two assignemnts are spacial awareness & working with a team of fellow classmates to develop a game from scratch to the production stage were we will be a making a few assests of our own. I won't be doing a high poly version of this plane for a while because it's not a part of the assignment and I really want to get to grips with the basics before I jump in with high poly modelling. My current poly count is 622 and alot of them are comming from the nose cone which is what Im scaling and tidying up as I post.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    You are counting triangles and not quads as polys right? In game art terms, the polycount should always be based on triangles.

Any chance of a bigger pic of the wireframed model? Would be easier to suggest where you could remove some edges if we could see them more clearly, and it's more paintover friendly. No need to show the entire UI of your modelling app, just crop the pic down to show just the model.