Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] James Benson, Animator

Replies

• Espe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs more flair/attitude
    now he looks like 'must... do... moonwalk... right...'
    when it should be 'hey look at me, i can knock you out, and just moonwalk away' ^^
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you're saying, maybe I'll have him strike a little pose or do the crotch thing for a sec, you know where he holds his junk and thrusts back and forth when he performed Billie Jean. As for flair in the walk itself, I can't think of anything much to give other than change the arms. At the moment I've given him 'the robot' arms, so I can either do the casual 'hands in pockets as he moonwalks' thing, which is cool and casual, or I could have him be really over the top and do like, the swimming backwards arms.

Food for thought eh? I'll post any significant update.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    yeah, the purpose of a moonwalk is to look elegant, so not every person can do it
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So do you mean you're saying it should be a lot more casual that doing robot arms?

Here's 2 other arm types I tried out, I'm also going to do a bit inbetween throw and walk, but not done that yet.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MirFrtFas8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjusZeaKxvs[/ame]
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still messing around with other stuff but I did another type of arms movment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYs4CNeoroQ[/ame]
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hahahaha James, man looks like you're having fun dude. I really like the feel of "alt moonwalk" (the head bob and arms down is a nice touch) and "funky moonwalk baby" is nice too, since the arm movement really accentuates the moonwalk itself.

Just out of curiosity, have you gotten contacted by any company yet?
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A company I just applied to for an internship said they had already filled the position. Yesterday I sent off an application to Travellers Tales, I'll see if they get back to me. I also have the head of a small indie company looking at my reel today. I was going to really go into full gear once I had changed up this stuff I'm doing now and send out to a lot of company's.

With my old old reel (which you guys have never seen) I was a complete dumbass and sent it to a bunch of companies before I had posted it on a professional forum like this (I was just posting on my 'local' art forum). I sent it out to a lot of companies and didn't get any traction apart from a handful of rejection emails/letters.

I'm really hoping I will get some traction with this new reel, it's probably twice as good even just from a 'taking out all the shit' standpoint. If I could get an interview somewhere I would flip my lid, I'm really hoping I get a chance to show somebody I'm a hard worker. Unpaid internships, whatever I am looking for ANYTHING!

Keep your fingers crossed for me!
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I've added in some 'flourish' before the walk

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSNE7Uomlb0[/ame]

Oh and quick question. I've fucked something up in max so when I hold down middle mouse and pan or rotate the view, all models disappear and I can only see bones/helpers. What the hell have I done here and how do I undo it?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Try pressing O or J i think, is it showing the bounding boxes + the bones and helpers?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Just a heads up man, I love how big the difference is between your first and last video's in this thread. Perfect example of how one should go about applying crits!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Animator had to do animate the moonwalk here at the office.

Noticed you have a few smaller elements missing, that really sell the move (notably the snap, and pushing with the tips of the toes, and the head movement):
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_FzgtLVzbI[/ame]

Fantastic progress on your reel!

:D
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ty guys, I'll tighten up the moonwalk with the stuff you just suggested.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z25SjwuILA[/ame]

I changed the snap, feet positions and stuff, way they moves as it slides, and head bob.

Getting little sick of this now so I hope I don't have to do much more with it :)

EDIT: I am thinking maybe I should swap out the arms for something more simple
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey, just dropping back to say I think you're taking the right route injecting your own twist, its coming together nicely! Sorry if my comments were depressing just saying what I thought :). Making steady progress, keep it up man!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I miss the spin
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh the spin is still there, I just didnt show stuff I hadnt changed, ive actually got a newer version ill upload in a little bit that shows the whole of where im at now
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok this is where I'm at, as you can see I've never been totally comfortable with the animation as it's changing around a lot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHzKw1KeC1Y[/ame]
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    really like some of the stuff you have, the Arthas fight and the acrobatic one at the start of your demo are my favorite
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    1stly Goodluck with TT, they use Maya so perhaps getting experiance in that will give you a step up.

2ndly, the chest pump feels a tad harsh (almost snapping) cant really tell much from the angle.
    Also the camera movement kinda kills the subtle motion so id advise against any movement camerawise unless it adds to the narrative.
    The body on the floor becomes too rigid too quick, even dead bodies carry on moving from a big movement like that ;D

Just an additional idea here, perhaps going from the spin into a little jump to get some air, snap into the moon walk pose and walk off..just an idea to add more variety.

Cant tell accurately enough but the arms feel extremely awkward and broken for much of the spin. Perhaps upload a quicktime .mov? Also the way they are at the minute it feels more like there just ragdolling rather than helping in any way with the spin. Give them some attitude have them pop to head height before he starts the moon walk.

You got the feet nice ;D but the hips feel a tad off but w/o a better camer angle cant tell really, which brings me to my last crit, crap camera angle ;)

Its a lovely progression on the piece though, being sick of what your animating does happen but youve just gotta learn to get over that, cos there will be a time when you revisit a peice a million times just not in 1 sitting, trust me ;D

Btw, im an animator working for TT's sister company (the better 1 ;P) TT-Fusion,
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the great crit. Looking back now the next day there's a lot I can get into working on. The arms at the moment kind of trail behind the body, I'll change them to give momentum to the spin instead.

The camera is horrible, in my reel I've tried to use a static camera in pretty much every instance. I had the Camera moving here b/c it ends up being a long shot but I will have to find a better way of shooting it b/c you're right and it's really not good.

I will have a play around with inbetween of the spin and walk, and with the arms, I'm still not fully comfortable with any of the 5 or 6 variations I've tried. I'm really not even sure the pump thing I have at the moment is the best one to polish, but I'll give it a less sever snap and see if that looks good.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im really sorry but i have to

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsHxrCeDq1U[/ame]

To be honost i havent read everything, but here are some thing that came to mind

longer videos, 4 seconds is really short, so maybe loop it, slowmotion, other perspectives, maybe show the bones too instead of the mesh, giving some more insight for indepth crits.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll make the vids a bit easier to crit from now on, and Id never seen that dee dee video before :D
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Behold, the slow arduous march of iteration

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3-GT8DqQmU[/ame]
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    haha thats a good transition man.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    post a quicktime, or slow-mo with frame number displayed the crits willl only get better.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll upload a quicktime file to download now, I'm afraid I don't have any idea how to make it slow mo or include frame count atm (although quicktime has one built in).
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the file. quicktime does have a frame counter built in so you can use that I guess!

http://www.bensonanimations.com/moonwalk.zip
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry but i havent read through the whole thread, though im enjoying those clips :), but did you rig those characters?
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Ta James, will break it down for you during my break, to get a frame counter theres help here...
    http://www.11secondclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=156
  • DerDude
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    Sorry but i havent read through the whole thread, though im enjoying those clips :), but did you rig those characters?

Yo, the base rig is by a guy called Brad Noble, I bought the scripts that you can use to resize the rig with, so all the humanoid characters are rigged on that set up with me resizing it and skinning the particular character.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick one, I realized I forgot to put the human run animation in my reel, is this ok to stick in? (obviously with proper rendering)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InxoapnMpUA[/ame]
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4 seconds.. !!

from the looks of it, there is quite the swing in his motion,
    but it feels like his torso does not keep up with the amount of swing the limbs have.

maybe his lower torso doesnt move with as much as should?
    or maybe his head is bobn a bit too much

longer vid sir, longer vid because i tend to go arggg when the motion is too short to actualy analyse

on a side note, i dont know if you are familiar with a program like after fx, maybe its time to look into that too, specialy if you are into animation and editing your reel :)
    or when it comes to setting up some vids to crit wich contain more shots and loops ect (or counters)

go go go! \o/
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would say cut out the motion blur out when you want feedback ;)
    It looks like a combination of running and sneaking imo. Your feet are not hitting the extremes, more like jogging and with the high freq. of this cycle it looks "forced". Also the spine is bending to much and to early. In the front view you need to stick the feet closer together for balance-reason. But when you wanted a more goofy run, that a good job. otherwise you need to put more work on this.

www.dietrichmagnus.com/jogging.rar
    here´s a relative relaxed jogging kind of "run" i made.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Just a quick 1, dont bother spending long on rendering, your being hired to animate it will actually count against you unless your animation is already amazing ;D

ofc if your applying for a general position it will help like for say tv work, but for a game animator position it tends to raise questions.

Ok crit time still havent gone through your other aniamtion yet but on the run already i can see heres no movement at all on the hips. The upper body is going a little too crazy you need to study stuff like bbc motion gallery for runs walks etc, read up on the animators survival kit also, this book is worth its weight in gold!

Also the feet arent doing nice arcs, always check your arcs the best way i can explain is they are quite flat, they never move up far from the ground, they should be doin like a deformed figure of 8 almost, were as what you have is too flat.

Keep at it, runs jumps hittakes are good additions for a games reel..

Keep at it
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, maybe I should have waited a bit on posting that animation. I kinda just stuck it up there without thinking. I won't post with motion blur and stuff and I'm sorry it was just 4 seconds.

The animation itself is really old, it's actually a modification of the first run cycle I did :/ I may just make another from scratch.

Btw, anybody who hasn't seen the current reel I'd love for you to take a look and comment. And I wouldn't want people to think that run was a good indication of where I'm at right now!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xp2pJmtsSc[/ame]

I'll do another run now and post it in a little bit.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tillman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the character has nice weight to him..
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    exaggerate the poses more on the run, and definitely make him go up and down more. hes got like no up and down motion in the hips.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet.
    Wouldnt being able to rig a BIG positive if your going for an animators position? Have you thought of learning how to rig?
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don´t get me wrong, but most animators in the game industry are able to rig imo, the bigger the studio, the less you may be rig. Mostly you start in a small or medium company where you need to rig characters. I will track the hips, it looks a bit weird, i mean the traveling in space. I would like a bit more of "hang-time" in the air.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, with the rigging, yes I can rig characters, but the rig I'm using is something by a professional rigger and is the product of constant iteration and new releases over the course of many years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think an employer would rather see a vastly improved set of animations than have a tag at the start saying 'All characters rigged by myself''.

With the pose exaggerating, he's already at the extremes of his movement, so I'd have to put in a massive arm swing and have him come really far off the ground, I'm kind of going for a 'determined forward run' rather than a cartoony bounce run, but I'll play with it and see how it looks.

Here's the up and down on the hips. To be honest I think that is plenty of up and down considering I don't want a cartoon run, but if you disagree once you see this picture then fair enough.

animotion.jpg

And with the hips traveling space, I have them going a tiny bit forward and back again during the cycle, I've found when animated characters in games it gives the movement a bit more push and I like it, but it's a stylistic choice and perhaps a bad one. As for air time, I'll give it a go, but I don't really want a 'bound', more like a race run, but not quite a sprint.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, rigging is a bonus, sometimes it´s required, sometimes not, depends. Maybe you could try something like this here?

animotion.th.jpg

sorry for imageshack btw
  • spanks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The run reminds me of TF2 I like it. I don't think it is super realistic though if that is what you're going for.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a newer version with keg adjustments based off your drawover, and some timing adjustments and other general stuff.

Oh and I've been animating this while my girlfriend plays team fortress 2 on a massive screen next to me so I guess I adopted that style without thinking heh, and no i'm not going for a super realistic style.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOMhhozhwEA[/ame]
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey James. I've recently began the transition from 3D art to Animation and I'd just like to say that I admire your ability to take criticism on board. A good example is that the arthas stab into the dwarf. You finally made it feel like he wasn't cutting thru butter : ) I grinned when I saw that because I've been watching this thread.

Do you use Maya or Max? What would you say is better? (if you use both or whatever)

I'm having a hard time applying wait and timing with normal animation so I tried to use the curve editor in Max but I just can't see what adjusments to make for the effect I want on a bunch of curves and keys.

I don't want to steal the thread but do you think we could get in touch or something mate?

:)