Home Technical Talk

verticles driving me nutts.. help :x

i am working on a personal house-modeling proyect.

i pretty much know how to move, modify, transform (etc) objects to give them a form, Hooowever.. i can't manage to work with verticles properly.

this image represents the issue i'm dealing with now: [and it's literally the feature i need the most]
.. i want to connect the 4 verticles, creating 4 edges which would make one rectangular polygon..
25gvrew.jpg

thank you in advance.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Using 3DS Max?
    Select the vertices and hit "Connect" in the Editable Poly rollout in the Modify panel.
  • crozer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Using 3DS Max?
    yes sorry, i forgot to mention it. 3ds max 2010.

regarding your answer: i have tried to use the "connect" tool for obvious reasons (i wanna connect, what better than using a tool called "connect"). however, it does not seem to work.
    i have tried selecting only 2 verticles and connecting them, but it doesn't work. i also tried to only select two (the vertical ones, as well as those horizontally) and it won't work either..

thank you.
  • Wetterschneider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wetterschneider polycounter lvl 18
    Since you have the four verts in the same object, use "polygon" selection option instead, and hit "create". Then you can pick the verts in order, and a polygon will be made.
  • crozer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you have the four verts in the same object, use "polygon" selection option instead, and hit "create". Then you can pick the verts in order, and a polygon will be made.

vielen dank!
    it worked, i guess these will be the steps to follow from now on everytime i need to convert verticles into polygons.
    thank you all.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't that create a polygon inside? It's not actually connected or breaking the long faces on the outer shape.

I suspect you have some very long thin triangles running from these verts to the corners of your box. Which by the looks of your screenshot that could be the case.

Because of those edges you won't be able to "connect" properly.
  • crozer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Doesn't that create a polygon inside? It's not actually connected or breaking the long faces on the outer shape.

I suspect you have some very long thin triangles running from these verts to the corners of your box. Which by the looks of your screenshot that could be the case.

Because of those edges you won't be able to "connect" properly.

interesting.
    i am still really new to 3D-modeling [design] and thus i am not sure what you mean with "thing triangles running from..". i do understand what you mean with the verticles not connecting properly. the 'create' tool does not create polygons on the object (in this case, the wall); instead, it uses the verticles to create polygons which are inside the object...

i've been working with the create tool now, and it's useful, though it's starting to slow down my progess a bit - since i can't use these interior-polygons..

thanks for noting, and any solutions?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    If you are german(i think you are because you wrote "vielen dank"), send me a pm or talk to me per icq(130780606) maybe i can help you
  • Haledire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep in mind, that 3d studio max doesn't allow non-manifold geometry. Basically it seems you were trying to shove a polygon inside a box by connecting the edges that already connect 2 faces to a third face, which 3dsmax will not allow as that is non-manifold.

Depending on what you are trying to do (not sure why you needed the edge inside the object honestly, but I assume there's a good reason) you could split the edge loop and cap the resulting opening.

If you're trying to cut the object apart, that would be a job for the cut tool instead. Or if you're trying to cut openings for windows or doors, you'd want to use Edge Connect in edge mode.

It might help to explain how you were planning to create the building in the first place, as I'm still confused as what your initial question was supposed to be creating.
  • crozer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haledire:
    i think i know what i want now, and that is the cut tool. my intention is to cut the box in slices separated by edges. then i will be able to work on the polygons of each slice, right?

i did not notice the cut tool would allow me to acheive this -stupid me-, for i thought the cut tool would break the box into two objects..
    thank you, really.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly ;)

You can also Select 2 or more Edges which are opposide to each other an hit connect this will result in a cut between them like in this picture:
    connectp.jpg
  • Haledire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just remember that with the cut tool, if you're making a cut end on a vertex, you may need to check to make sure that the cut completed in the right location instead of making an extra vertex on top of the place you wanted it to be. If you wind up with a duplicated vertex you'll need to target weld it to fix it.

Ideally if you have a plan for a room or a house, planning the bottom polygons for the walls would be the most efficient place to begin. This would prepare the thickness of the walls if you were doing a full floor.

You would be able to prepare the edges for the sides of doors and windows and only have to worry about where to stop extrusions for the bottom of the windows, tops of the windows, tops of the doors, and the ceiling.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haledire wrote: »
    Just remember that with the cut tool, if you're making a cut end on a vertex, you may need to check to make sure that the cut completed in the right location instead of making an extra vertex on top of the place you wanted it to be. If you wind up with a duplicated vertex you'll need to target weld it to fix it.

Ideally if you have a plan for a room or a house, planning the bottom polygons for the walls would be the most efficient place to begin. This would prepare the thickness of the walls if you were doing a full floor.

You would be able to prepare the edges for the sides of doors and windows and only have to worry about where to stop extrusions for the bottom of the windows, tops of the windows, tops of the doors, and the ceiling.

Sometimes it´s easier to use just else if you accidently create a new vertex instead of sticking to the existent one, just select the ones you want to weld or the whole model , depends on the density of the mesh and use a small threshold.

It´s much easier for me then just target weld them.

And i made a picture of what you meant later on(don´t look at the comments i wrote them in german)

Edit: I know that the inner edges are not aligned nicely, but hey it´s just give an overview about this method :)

gebude.jpg
    You can make additional cuts and leave out some outer edges if you want to make a hole for a door or something
  • crozer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you very much.
    i will start with a plane, and cut it in sections which will then correspond to the walls, rooms, etcc.