Home Technical Talk

Spline cages - worth it?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
danshewan polycounter lvl 8
Does anybody actually use spline cages in their modeling workflow?

I've been trying to improve my hard surface work, especially on more complex surfaces, but I'm finding that, despite the most fastidious placement of the verts, the end result still ends up pretty disappointing, especially at higher patch topology steps - anything past 1 step seems an unwieldy mess.

I'm beginning to think that they're more hassle than they're worth. I'd like to hear from anyone that does find them useful, or alternatives if you don't. I'm starting to seriously consider simple extrusions from planes to achieve a more precise result - anyone agree? Disagree?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Replies

• StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha depends entirely on what you want to create!
    I use NURBS alot for generative design process, rhino in combination with grasshopper. So I can make visual programs that make certain things appear like they do because a set of rules I made. Also it's easy to give it to CAM and have them prototype a design.

However for game modeling I don't see the point, sub-d seems far more effective & faster.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on what you're making. Boats, Planes, some weapons, some kinds of terrain? They have their place but just like everything else they're a tool. Sometimes they're the best thing for a given job, sometimes they aren't.