Home Technical Talk

Hello some suggestions please? :)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I am modder , mainly so I want now to improve my abilities and be able to take advantage of my personal drawing ability too , so for this reason I was thinking to buy a graphic tablet , my choice was oriented toward an intuos wacom L , what you think about ?

Plus I know 3dsmax I may say to a degree that I can model fine but I miss some or many small tips that could improve my modeling speed , I know very few of rendering, I know how to rig models to a skeleton but not much else I would like to improve this too , and finally I have zbrush but dunno much else than make some cavity maps for my baked models ....about texturing I use photoshop , I usually draw all free hand by original photosourced material....

I would like if possible to ask you experts a possible list of great dvd trainings that I could buy that will help me cover all of lacunes of mines , so to become better in the fields that I am missing or a comprehensive list of dvds tutorials that I can utilize to improve myself finally in the use of 3dsmax , zbrush and photoshop for the scope of modeling and texturing rigging and animating eventually , and for high res production that for game low poly production :) .....

I hope to not bother anyone with my humble questions :) ...

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    As for Tablets...they can be too big. I have a Intuos3 L and I think I should have gone a number smaller...

For DVDs I'd recomend Gnomon or CG Academy
  • zacko9000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I highly recommend the Wacom Intuos 4 tablets, the larger the better. All the artists at my company use Intuos 4 tablets and they are great, but are a little pricey. If money is no object I would suggest a Wacom Cintiq, actually drawing on the screen is really awesome and helps remove the disconnect that you feel with a tablet. As for DVD's, Gnomon seems to have almost all the bases covered and are well thought out and explained.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like a 6x8, i find anything else too big(i like to keep mine on my lap). intous3 6x8 is an awesome tablet, if you can find a deal on a used one i would highly suggest doing that, wacoms almost never break so buying used isnt a terrible idea.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I would strongly recommend against the 12" cintiq - I have one and it works, but it feels really crowded (especially next to my 28" monitor) and only goes up to 1280x960.

Wacom tablets in general though are totally awesome. I've got an Intuos 3 at work, and an original (has a serial port!) Intuos at home that I've had kicking around for 9-10 years. Still works, although recently it has been used solely as a drink/plate holder and the plastic sheet's adhesive has worn off due to the temperature changes I think.

The Eat3d pillar and next gen texturing tutorials are a good combination of cheap and straightforward - I've watched both of them here at work and while I don't recall learning anything new from either of them they pretty much mirrored the practices I use professionally. Just don't go using that pillar in your portfolio there are about 50 people who have that in their portfolio and it just screams "I haven't done any next gen stuff that isn't directly from this tutorial"