Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brazillian bandit

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
This is a freelance gig I completed recently for a client.
Thankfully he agreed to let me display it for my folio as soon as it was completed.

He's about 7ktris w/ 2048 diffuse/normal/spec

cangacieros_rough_014.jpg
^^Screenshot taken in Marmoset Engine by 8 Monkey Labs ^^

I also made a full set of face morph-targets for animation + a mouth interior including teeth & tongue.

Although I'm calling this piece complete, I always like to hear your thoughts and criticisms. Please don't be shy.
Many of you who frequent #model_design have already given me a wealth of solid critiques. Thanks again.

Replies

• Rhys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks great! my main crits is that the clothes have too much specular. Also Im struggling to tell what the hat is made of, from behind it looks a bit like a wooden boat with a window??
    Im not sure what age (year) it is but the bullets look to modern compared with the rest of his attire, I'd expect musket balls, but I dont know much about that.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    muy bueno, but he kind of looks a bit too shiny, which makes him look like a metal figurine. I think a mexican bandit would be more "matte."
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I remember when you showed me this before he had more red sickly eyes. I liked those alot more

currently the model is looking good but I can stand to say to add some A symetry to his pants texture and make a dirt patch or 2 to mix it up more , they stand to be to clean versus the rest of him in my opinion

those boots/straps maybe put some dirt near the end of them? Grime it up slightly more

face and hat and hands and upper body all spot on :D
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, cool character!

I like the diffuse colour but the specular definitely seems too bright, especially on his clothes. Most regular cloth fabrics should be close to 0 specular level, I reckon.
    Plus pushing down the spec on the clothes will help make it pop and contrast with the stuff that really should be shiny (like the metal bits).

A quick pass on the spec map, and a rig/pose, this guy will be a winner :)
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    just a question i had - what makes him distinctly Brazilian? (apart from the man-wax he's got going under the khakis....), he seems more of a generic mexican/south-american bandito to me... meh

apart from that excellent model and texture - technically speaking.
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog polycounter lvl 8
    looking good Scoob! The model is very nice. I am not sure if you used a reference for the colors or not but I think his pants could stand to be a bit different color to break up the character a bit and add some more interest. perhaps slightly darker or a little more reddish. Apart from that great job!
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    just a question i had - what makes him distinctly Brazilian? (apart from the man-wax he's got going under the khakis....), he seems more of a generic mexican/south-american bandito to me... meh

this:

a96687_a451_lampiao2.jpg

google for corisco.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Always a fan of your work SD, and this is no different!
    Im thinking the assymetry was the clients idea? or did you want more space for the textures? OR DID YOU JUST PUSSY OUT OF IT XD
    close ups plis!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    lol, as a brazilian, I am surprised, comming good. Would you mind saying for which company you did that?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Great work on the face, really loving that mustache!
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    silly guy, all brazilians are bandits. why do we even have to critique this, the mere fact that you called him brazilian already made this a fantastic bandit model
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys. I had a lot of fun making this one. The client contacted me asking for a model of a "Cangaceiro". He included 1 or 2 old black & white shots and a couple stills from a movie. I just did a little bit of google & wiki searching to find more refs.

Yeah, in retrospect he does look a little more Mexican than Brazilian. I just spend 2 months in Mexico, yet have never been to Brazil, so maybe that's it. Or maybe I'm just an oblivious honkey who can't tell the difference. :P

The issue with the spec was that I was going back & forth between Marmoset and 3D Studio Max. The client is programming his own 3D Engine, which is not ready yet, so I had no target engine to calibrate my spec for. Its light enough to look good in Max and dark enough to not look horrific in Marmoset.(That slider in Toolbag is way too sensitive)

Bugo: There was no "company" I did this for, just a guy. He saw my folio someplace and contacted me looking for a character model.

Seforin: I had assymetrical details in the pants previously, but was having some bad seam problems that I couldn't resolve(in a timely manner anyway) so I cheated and just made the pants symmetrical.

I really lucked out with this one. The client has been awesome, isn't in any kind of hurry and everything I've sent him he's loved.

By the way... I'm, kinda desperately, looking for work (part time, full time, freelance whatever). So if anybody likes what they see or knows of something, please let me know. I'm just trying to prevent homelessness at this point...
  • joesolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This guy has a lot of character going for him in general. I think a pose would do him a lot more justice. I agree about the spec being a bit too shiny.

also i would say the face seems a bit flat, I think you could have popped the forms a bit more and really got some nice shadow casting.

Dude that sucks about the possible homelessness. I am in the unemployed boat myself but not that deep. Keep the characters coming. Build your port, do your best and just keep on trying.

kudos