Home Technical Talk

Registry clean up How TO?

Like many other junkies who learn by hit and trial. I have this habit of getting hands on experience on any interesting application utility I come across that can make my life easier.. because of Installing and uninstalling things I guess my windows keeps getting those tiny bits of information in its registry pool. I was looking for a free/open source registry/driver clean up/check up application for windows. That can check which entry is useless unused and/or outdated and can suggest me to remove those entries. Or does it itself. I mean any tested proven thing?

I googled it and got driver robot, installed it ran it, it gave me a whole list of these entries but wanted me to pay for that. I said forget it dude. and uninstalled it but it has put some info there. it keeps coming back and keeps telling me that. So in the end I got One more bad entry instead of getting rid of previous ones... fooooh.

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Registry cleaners are unworthy of runtime. The only entries that are safe to remove using an automated tool are history entries, even then you have to be absolutely sure of the software vendor and or know what you are doing, otherwise say goodbye to system stability.
    But...
    One sure fire thing you can do is make a note of every software you uninstall from the system. Take note of the vendor, version and version number, search the registry manually (run command, type "regedit") for strings with these names and remove the entries. After this you can run an automated tool using compaction option to remove related empty key containers.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    there are a few ways of distinguishing bad (shareware, adware, spyware, scareware,...) from good and opensource tools
    • use always the google international search (not some localized one - because they tend to be spammed and a easy target for non English speaking people (equals to non or less internet knowing people))
    • read about the software on boards and blogs (again use Google for that)
    • never believe or trust a website with big banners and stickers saying its spyware free .,.. because usually its then ad ware driven or something else thats missing in that list
    • goto websites such as northon or antivir and search for the software, seeing if it ends up in some kind of Trojan, spyware or adware category.
    • watch out with the installers, if possible get a zip archive with just the tool (i.e VLC, XnView and FileZilla offer such a thing)
    • if you end up with a installer watch out in the installation wizard process, ie optional by default checked ad components like it comes with Acrobat Reader, Foxit Reader, Daemon Tools or common messengers.

I myself usually reinstall windows every 1/2 year just to make sure the system stays speedy and clean and because I know how awe full windows itself can be. Also next time perhaps better research the software you just downloaded - because most things that look easy are usually fishing nets for unexperienced users seeking for the easy *free* tool.
    Even the word "free" is bended in such a way on so many ways that it can contain adware and many other unwanted stuff.
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use CCleaner personally.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

I also use Advanced System Care Free (a "one click" fix your computer sort of program - has a bunch of different scans it runs and also has a list of utilities it can install).

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

However, the Advanced System Care has begun to have one of those "You still have blah blah" pop up screen after running sometimes and encourages you to buy it - but I just ignore it and use it anyway.

Definitely look at CCleaner though at least - good for cleaning out junk files on your computer, but also can scan for registry errors and fix them. They are two separate scans - make sure you specify on the left which one you want to scan. The UI is easy.

Those are the two programs that have registry cleaners in them that I run - I use a further assortment of free programs for spyware, adware, malware, and viruses (Spybot, Ad-Aware, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, and AVG respectively) and also downloaded Smart Defrag for defragging.

I'm a big user of open source and free now - you'll find a variety of programs of that nature on my computer. :-)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Next time you reinstall your OS you could also consider Faronics DeepFreeze
    http://www.faronics.com/

Thats how I keep my 'work/performance' OS partition clean.

Good luck!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    pior wrote: »
    Next time you reinstall your OS you could also consider Faronics DeepFreeze
    http://www.faronics.com/

Thats how I keep my 'work/performance' OS partition clean.

Good luck!

Is this a ghosting program?
  • mpintar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A huge misconception about windows is that the cleaning the registry will actually speed up your computer. This is quite false, the performance gain you get is so negligible you are better of not spending your time cleaning it up.

Although I would suggest using CCleaner if you do want to clean the registry. I mainly only ever use it to clear history and temp files, but it also cleans the registry a bit.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    mpintar wrote: »
    A huge misconception about windows is that the cleaning the registry will actually speed up your computer. This is quite false, the performance gain you get is so negligible you are better of not spending your time cleaning it up.

All respect due, but that's just bollocks. Granted, it won't beat a regular defrag and general good housekeeping, but to say that it isn't worth spending the mere minutes that CCleaner requires to run is pretty stupid.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    No need to mess with the registry. Just use msconfig (start->run->"msconfig") to disable extra startup items.

Third-party apps often install startup items to check for updates, etc. It's usually safe to disable all or most of them.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Cleaning the registry is not really needed. Unless there's conflicts caused by an uninstalled apps entries don't go in there.

You want to speed up you machine then kill off useless startup apps and processes.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    and take a closer look at the 'free' tools you do to install
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I use CCleaner personally.

i started using this recently as well. its great!
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Revo Uninstaller is pretty good.
  • ctrlZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx a lot Guys.. I kinda lost track of this thread..

GCMP: well I am familiar with controlling startup apps and windows features through msconfig & regedit. But since I didnt want to reinstall my winXP64 at the moment not at least for next 2-3 months. And I was getting few unusual things happening so I thought I should at least clean up my windows. Since I am an artist not a Code junkie so I needed a simple UI based tool to do this.

krypteia: I am going to try CCleaner bc I think this app has some serious reputation in here. Lets see if I get things right or not.

Pior: would you care to tell us more about this deep freeze thing what exactly you used it for and the result..

Thanx again to all who commented.. cheerz
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I'm also using CCleaner. Worked well so far.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there! Sure, here is a quick rundown.

Basically DeepFreeze is a little program based on the idea of "thawed" and "frozen" state.

Let's say you have a fresh OS install, with all the programs you *really* need for your daily work. Absolutely no extras, just the bare minimum. No games, no visual theme manager, no itunes...

Once you have all your apps installed (2D app, 3D app, image browser, file compression, you name it) you basically reach your ideal workstation setup : the computer is responsive, nothing clutters the process manager, everything feels like new. At that point you install DeepFreeze. Lets call this time F, like frozen.

From now on, no matter what you do to your computer, add programs you regret installing, get viruses, anything - all you need is to do is restart your computer, and DF will turn it like it was at time F, like new again.

Now lets say 2 months later you want to install a new version of a program. After trying it out for like 3 days (and it being wiped out at each restart) you realize you really need that upgrade. You jest tell DF that you want to "thaw" your system for a given number of restarts (2 usually is enough), install your new app, and voila! instead of your computer behaving like F + 2 months and 3 days, it really is F + a few minutes old. Basically you just saved yourself 2 months of trojans, useless automatic updaters, mistakes, pollution...

The catch is that DF works on whole drives. So you need to make sure that your program preferences (photoshop brushes, interface layout, and so on) are sitting on a secondary drive.

I personally have two OSes on my computer. One is a 'test' environment where I install all the crap I want to try out. I just reformat it whenever needed. The other one is the 'powerhouse' OS, kept extremely clean thanks to DF, and I only have the bare minimum on it. I use it whenever I need a very stable work environment (big paintings, very dense highpoly sculpts).

Hope this helps!!!

[edit] so basically no it's not a ghosting program. However I think it would work very nicely with a ghost, used to reinstall the powerhouse partition every now and then. But in my opinion ghosts are not really needed in out case since : A) programs are kept to a minimum so it's fairly quick to reinstall ; and B) preferences are on another drive and can be backuped regularly.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Im have been using CCleaner for a few years now and its always done well by me :D
  • falcon21e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, there is a debate around this subject of whether a registry cleaner will help your pc or not. I personally feel that you'll definitely notice a performance increase if you run a (respectable) registry cleaner on your system, after a lot of months or years of continued use. This may be more beneficial to the lazy individual that is not prepared to just do a format, which is actually the best registry cleaner, hehe.
    And yes, stay away from those dodgy registry cleaners. Google is your friend!
  • sweetemo22jd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, some users say that registry cleaners are not really necessary. They say that leaving your system registry alone is actually better than trying to clean it. Well, I am not so sure about this because computers may slow down and encounter errors if their system registries are bad. So, I prefer to use a registry cleaner instead. CCleaner is one free registry cleaner that I am comfortable with. It is mild, efficient, and of course, free of charge!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I <3 adbots

pior: DF sounds nice, how long is reboot time when using it?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    A nice way to avoid the nasty programs and to speed up your net in general is to install a hosts file. If setup right you can use it as a black list to refuse traffic from certain bad website/advertisers.

check out http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    you'll be amazed how fast your net becomes when you lose all the tracking cookies and advertising shite.

Pior: deepfreeze looks great. Thanks :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    r_fletch_r: If we do that, we won´t be able to experience the wonderfully fitting ad´s at polycount anymore. :D
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    danshewan wrote: »
    All respect due, but that's just bollocks. Granted, it won't beat a regular defrag and general good housekeeping, but to say that it isn't worth spending the mere minutes that CCleaner requires to run is pretty stupid.

The registry has hundreds of thousands of entries. Removing a few dozen won't increase performance. Though, CCleaner is worth running to delete all the temp files that hide all over your system.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    SpeCter wrote: »
    r_fletch_r: If we do that, we won´t be able to experience the wonderfully fitting ad´s at polycount anymore. :D

buy a hoody from the shop. that how i eased my guilt =)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    registry cleaner - waste of time. In the worst case they got it wrong and delete keys your apps still need, then you're screwed. Speed gains are pretty negligible (if there are any at all) from cleaning it. You're much safer leaving it alone. If you want to speed up your PC, there's MUCH better things to do....

I'm not sure where the registry cleaning hysteria started, but at some time there were tons of adware and paid apps playing with the paranoia of the general windows user. I dare you, take a stopwatch and tell me how much faster your PC is after "cleaning" the registry ;)

CCleaner - not a waste of time, because it cleans temp files, history and other stuff which hangs around in your PC really hows down your system with garbage.
    I don't use the registry cleaner though. If you want to give it a try, set at least a system restore point before doing so.

start -> Run -> msconfig - clean out all the trash apps that start with your PC and sit in the tray hogging resources for nothing.

run scandisk on all drives - broken filesystems often cause lag. don't trust windows to be always clever enough to scan on startup.

defrag your hdd - it really helps :)
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    CCleaner is absolutely excellent.

And I don't know why people think cleaning your registry is something you can neglect....that's ridiculous. Neglecting your registry after having installed and uninstalled programs over the years can absolutely destroy your pc's performance, and bring up constant needless dialogs about programs long passed that you will have no idea how to answer to ("Yes, No, Maybe, WTF ERROR" kind of dialog boxes). I think people confuse it with it being something you only need to do every ONCE IN A WHILE, rather than every week or so, as you should do with defrags.

It's definitely not as important as a good DEFRAG.

Anyways, this is seriously all you need...these few programs...they're free, constantly updated, and are super easy to use. They are also extremely fast at what you do, therefore, it's stupid to not to it anyways, even if it just makes you feel better in the end thinking it worked ;D

1) CCleaner - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

2) Defraggler (Another defrag program, made by the same peeps who made CCleaner - http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

3) AusLogics Defrag - http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?part=dl-6267754&subj=dl&tag=button

Another tip...

Dunno what OS you use, but if it's Windows, turn off all that extra fancy graphical shit....

Because, unless you have tons of RAM, it's not worth it. You can make your windows theme really plain and super simple through the control panel > display properties. Yeah, your desktop etc will look like utter shit, but the performance is worth it. At least for me it is!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The registry is just a database of keys and values - all this "cleaning" stuff is mostly voodoo and dancing in a circle around some totem.

Programs usually look for specific registry keys, just as they would have done in an .ini file long ago. As long as specific keys are accessed it doesn't matter if your registry is small or big. the speed is the same. It's just like in a filesystem - you know the path? blam, instant access.
    Programs which store config values just know where they are in the registry. no need to search.

Also entries are unique. That means old entries get overwritten if they have the same key. That means there cannot be 2 entries with conflicting values. No need to clean anything up here.

Unused entries are just that, unused. They slow nothing down, except registry searches because the search goes through all the entries. However programs just don't search the registry. They know what they need (see above). No need to clean stuff up.

Now if your registry cleaner accidentally removes an entry which a program expects, then you're in trouble. The program knows where the key is, it doesn't find it -> error. This can happen, for example, when windows doesn't know about a program (e.g. it hasn't been installed using an installer, like portable apps for example)

What can happen though is if an older program overwrites registry settings of a new one, then you're in trouble too. Therefore just be a good user and uninstall programs properly. Don't just delete programs in the file system (that's a good way to screw up everything).
    Tip: if you install and uninstalll lots of programs, especially ones you don't fully tryst, try using a sandbox or a VM instead.

Just to quote Mark Russinovich "No, even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches.".