Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2010: Symmetry not working for me ;(

ello,
well these are just 2 examples of what i wanna state:
i can't get the symmetry modifier to flip horizontally the right eye on the left side, so i have 2 cloned eyes.

i think it's kind of obvious what i am looking for..
this is what comes up when i apply symmetry to the eye:

b81wzk.jpg

any help is really appreciated.
thank you.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You need to move the axis transform gizmo (the orange thing with the arrows coming out of it) so that it's in the centre where you want the mirror axis to be.

To enable gizmo editing you can either click the + next to the Symmetry modifier in your stack, or simply double-click the Symmetry modifier. You should see the gizmo turn from orange to yellow, which means it's editable. Then you can drag it to the centre line, or for more accuracy use the transform type-in and set it at 0 0 0 (the centre of the world).
  • crozer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    You need to move the axis transform gizmo (the orange thing with the arrows coming out of it) so that it's in the centre where you want the mirror axis to be.

To enable gizmo editing you can either click the + next to the Symmetry modifier in your stack, or simply double-click the Symmetry modifier. You should see the gizmo turn from orange to yellow, which means it's editable. Then you can drag it to the centre line, or for more accuracy use the transform type-in and set it at 0 0 0 (the centre of the world).

perfect.
    thank you very much, i realize i just had to drag the gizmo yo the mirroring point.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After you have it in place, go into the hierarchy tab click affect pivot only, and then click center, then turn off affect pivot only.

This way you can apply symmetry and won't have to noodle the gizmo into place each time.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    You can also select an edge in your edit Poly, to have the Symmetry Gizmo exactly at that edge's position (not really in your case ;), but in general this is really usefull if you want to be exact and your pivot isn't...)