Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: danpV

Hey all!

I'm Dan, and I am currently a student at Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont, wrapping up my final year before they give me that oh-so-important piece of paper. I love digital sketch-booking, so I hope to contribute a lot of feedback and critique to the community, as well as post some of my own stuff! My focus is in 3D game art with some painting ability for sake of mental rendering.

To get started, here's a concept I'm shaping up for my 3D game environments class. We have 8 weeks to render this out fully into Unreal 3. My professor has also lined this up perfectly with the Unearthly Challenge contest... coincidence?

danpeavey_sketch2_landmass_w960.jpg

Here's the sketch I started with:

danpeavey_sketch_landmass_w960.jpg

Secondly, here is a main player-vehicle asset for my senior-team-game production / thesis. The first is the concept, the second is the WIP model which I'll post updates to regularly in here for what I hope to be excellent critiques!

danpeavey_requiem_modelsheet01_w960.jpg

WIP - I will post progress of this!
requiemship_screenshot_wip1_oct0309.jpg

Finally, more on this senior-thesis project, I am the lead artist (and only artist) in this three-man team. We are running a rapid prototype through preproduction, and we plan to start production with an expanded team in early January. Here is a really fast architectural concept for the buildings of the city. This game is a SHMUP (Radiant Silvergun, RAIDEN, Ikaruga, etc.), so the assets have to have just enough detail to suggest there is more than there really is from our perspective bird-eye. Admittedly though, we are incorporating elements that require a camera shift from the standard top-down camera perspective in a SHMUP, deviating to a "Star Fox" cinematographic direction in certain portions of the game.

As I stated in my personal sketchbook, I'm still playing around with colors. A professor of mine says he likes the warmth of the pallet, creating an "oppressive" feel. What do you think? Though color isn't the focus of this concept, I'm glad it successfully conveyed the direction we want!

danpeavey_building_concept_render1_w960.jpg

Consider this thread to be open to constructive criticism and relevant feedback of all kinds. :)

Should I post more comments on my process and such, also? I'm totally up for doing that.

G'night!

Replies