Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My portfolio

andy1318
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
andy1318 polycounter lvl 9
Here is my portfolio of 3d models, crits and comments please!

http://andysportfolio.webs.com/

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    One thing I could input is that most of your renders come out pretty dark, maybe you could work on your lighting, because it's hard to read any molecularity and I have to strain my eyes and what not.
  • andy1318
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright i'll definitely work on that
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I can't say moddb is the best choice for portfolio hosting, but if you can make it work for you go for it.

First, you have 70 images. They are a mish-mash of unfinished, low and high detail meshes. Most appear to be using random shaders, dark and rotated 45 degrees. Presentation is key in a portfolio. "You're only as good as your worst piece, first impression...blah blah blah" You may have heard this stuff. Do yourself a favor, delete, forget all these images and start over from the ground up.

Learn a bit about specularity and what it's supposed to be used for. Post some individual pieces you want to improve on here, and listen to what people tell you.

Pick out 8-10 of your best works. I'm guessing guns here as, overall, these are your most consistent pieces. Complete these piece (fully modeled and textured). Create a nice looking render of them and assemble picture with that, wireframe shot, texture sheet and some info in the corner (polycount, texture size, your name, contact info).

You may be able to assemble some of the other random props into a single piece. As in, unify their look, and present them as a props set. This can give you more presentable content in a lot less images.

Find a way to present a resume on this site. Looks like you could use the blog entry for this if need be.
  • andy1318
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright thanks for all the help, I will do this and hopefully get a good looking portfolio
  • andy1318
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Like the new site Andy, good layout.

About the art...
    The wood log and the keypad are nice but the rest of the stuff you have doesn't compare to them.
    I would say try some new lighting techniques, mess around with specular, glossiness and normal maps to bring some variety into your work.

If you need some info, have a hunt around in technical talk or just ask:icon60:

About the site...
    It would be nice to see some bigger images with less aliasing, I'm not sure whether it's your settings or the host that is compressing the images?
    If you could remove the comment section that would be better as you really don't want people commenting on your portfolio website. Maybe if it was just a blog then it's ok.
  • andy1318
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the host compressed the images and I will see if I can remove the comment box

Also I am working on texturing, so hopefully i'll get better at that
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Andy!

You should consider showing shaded wire frame shots, texture's, and their sizes and if you used a high poly model show that with the low poly.

I think you should only have about 10 images in your folio.

Most of your work is really clean. Try and dirty them up, give them some personality.

Good job so far! :)
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry, taking too damn long to look at. (Using Google Chrome) A full page refresh on just about every link? Bad.

Videos - Nothing there, so get rid of the link.

"Photos" should be called "Portfolio" or something closer resembling your 3d work.

"We look forward to hearing from you!" on the contact page - Get rid of the "we" stuff, and frankly this format of correspondence isn't going to work either. Make this page have your email address on it, not some impersonal field box.

Remove the "Links" link on the side. This is redundant.

Remove the "Forums" link on the side. No one is going to post here and having a "Forum" on your portfolio screams "It was a free website and a free forum so I wanted to add it!"

The majority of the "Work in Progress" stuff tells me that you don't know what you are doing (the character) or that you have a habit of starting projects and not finishing them. Several of the guns are the same and could be combined to one image instead of 3.

Stop rendering on black backgrounds.

Show wireframes.

All of the fancy-schmancy Vray / Mental ray shader renders have little-to-no place in a game art portfolio. Most of them look like tutorial work as opposed to something a game studio could actually use.

As well as everything everyone else said.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Is it me or are the Ads really distracting? I think you should dump your host and go with godaddy.com or something. The site should be all about the portfolio, any kind of ads would kill it.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yeah, and the lighting for presenting your stuff still needs a lot of work. Showing your stuff in a game engine like Marmoset would be a good idea for you.
  • andy1318
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the help, I will redo those parts of the site (mentioned) and I am working on lighting, (also about marmoset, I tried downloading but it doesnt work on my computer)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Photos != renderings
    maybe rename it to 'Images' or 'Stills'

I assume its a free web space because of the ads. But ads are a no imo. for portfolios because for example in your case they steal the attention because of the colors and the way they are created. So getting lost of them will let the visitors eye concentrate more on your work.

Some areas to focus or improve on:
    - UV mapping + texturing: Most renders seem to consist of just shaders or primitive textures (no complex surfaces to map)
    - 3 point light setup, general presentation/ rendering techniques to make the renderings look less default gray shaded.
  • andy1318
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks for the input and advice, I will try those techniques
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    You seriously need to put those into a scene, read the article below.

http://www.adambromell.com/articles/article3.html
  • andy1318
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That article helped alot, thanks I will try this out now with a prop as a central theme to a whole scene and post it once it's done