Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WOW fanart - Orc Warrior

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
A fanart I've done based on wow - one of my first hand 'old-school' characters on my quest to become a better traditional hand painterly style artist.

Ive had 6 odd years of being in strictly photo-texturing pipelines and only recently realised that its not where I want to be. This guy was by far the most difficult character I've ever had to work on, next gen stuff was never this difficult.

I believe I can see why there are very very few guys out there that are so good at handpainting characters. Big ups to those few, I'm sure they know exactly who they are.

Im recieving help from one of those few - (Cheers dude!) but I've got so much more to learn!

Skargul_Grimgut___WOW_Fanart_by_HyperDivine.jpg

Skargul_Grimgut___WOW_Fanart_2_by_HyperDivine.jpg

I'll get some wires together shortly. Hope you guys like him I really enjoyed working on him.

Feel free to hit me with your crits especially you hand painterly guys, I'll endeavor to soak up as much as possible and apply it to my next character.

Cheers!

Replies

• turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Hazardous,

This is looking really cool. The one thing that I noticed is the muscle definition is lacking. Dont be afraid to go darker in some spots to get things to really pop out.

Try to push the lighting on the actual texture as well. I feel like he is getting the same light attention on every part of his body and armor.

Besides that, it is looking really cool, I just feel that you could take it to the next level with these changes.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Cool!! I especially like the dirt/wear details, the proportions are very cool, though maybe id boost the chest area a bit.... i think.

Anyways awesomeness all around, very good WoW study!
  • Mimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice texturing style, looks great.

I think that some shading on the flesh, where the armour is covering will help to give the character some depth.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah gotta say it needs a bit more muscle definition and more lighting/shadow detail but it really is very much WoW in style so well done on that, you probably already used this as ref but its still cool to check out how Bobo did the muscles/lighting even if his is a bit more realistic. http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=50943
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Looks like WoW to me!

Great job!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice job, you stuck with the Warcraft style closely and the hand painted textures look fantastic!
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome!

Love this kind of style.

Face has good resemblance. I do however think its a bit sharp in areas, and that the small detailed fur/hair doesn't go very well with the other details which are very scaled and pushed out.

They might be better as thicker tufts of fur.

Other than that, really nice!

/geekmode I like the shoulders, they're a cross between Thrall's and the Northrend Plate blues. :)
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent!!!! I very much like the hand painted style you have here! A road I would like to go down my self someday.

No crits, lets see more!

any tuts you could point to for a newb handpainter?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    looking great, really like the face.

only thing that looks really off to me is the skull on his axe. it looks so oddly placed on there. it is also not something I would think of seeing on an orc axe, maybe a deathknights. I think it would fit better if it was just the solid alex, would feel more barbaric/orcish.
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work, the face has an amazing paint to it. :)

Only problem would be the texture seemed stretched on his left knee.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
  • obeyurnapster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obeyurnapster polycounter lvl 9
    Really impressive, the work on the texture is really great
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Dude, your textures are awesome!

:D

DOESN'T PAINTING THIS SHIT RULE!

The one crit I can kinda make, is I think you should paint your flesh and cloth a little more resembling what that 'pinched Zbrush' is like (not sure if that's being clear).

Love the huge details!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo: thanks man your exactly right too, i somehow need to get that whole lighting thing down much better than ive got it here! Ill try to enhance the shapes a bit more next time, they doo look a bit flat dont they.. damn!

wizo: thanks man, you could be right the chest maybe a bit small as well!

mimp: Thanks man and good call about the shadows ill make sure i tackle that better on my next one!

Ged: Thanks man, I definately looked at Bobo's orc for some ideas - its just so good lol.

bounchfx, kaburan: Thanks guys!

JFletcher: Thanks man I actually agree with you, the fur cam right at the end, i decided to start tacking bits on but i think in hindight i could have gotten away with just a few well places bristles rather than going nuts about it haha!

jaball: Thanks man, haha trust me im not the one that should be making tuts ive barely got a handle on this kind of painting myself - I'll try to make something simple when I get a bit more advanced though!

Autocon: Hehe I know what you mean man, My original idea was to have some smoke / effects billowing from the holes / eyes or just generally around the axe head though that probably would have better suited a deathknight like you say! Ill try to nail down a solid theme for my next character!

iWeReZ: eagle eyes! ill try my best to minimise all the niggly problems on my next char try bring it all up to a new level!

PixelGoat, obeyurnapster: thanks guys :D

JacqueChoi: Thanks man - im totally infatuated with handpainting this kinda stuff, Its all I really want to do now, im definately taking the hand painted route in any future comps, Its the way of the future man! none of this next gen shizzle! I know what you mean about the pinched zbrush brush - im trying to get it down packed , sharper edges and more defined light / shadow not SO much transition and rounded out curves... At least i think thats what you mean haha!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    the model is totally WoW, but the textures feel more like torchlight. :) i love it though! well done!
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    is the armor you've made here your own? Cause I am not a huge fan of some of the armor made in the game, and i really like this a lot. I agree with that it needs some more contrast to really push the depth in the muscles and armor. Great work though!
  • Acid.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude this is kickass, The textures seem a little plain and may need a bit more darkening. Looks great so far. Paint some more definition on the textures, the orange seems to stand out a bit, I reckon it would probably look better with a copper/bronze look too it. Might need some yellow and brown.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Who was the artist who textured the characters to wow?

Nice texturing job, at least you dabbed into the past with this one.
    Edit: I feel his back could use some loving!
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    It looks like a bump up from WoW, i feel the same as most people everything is sweet except it just lacks the muscle definition that WoW has. Mabye a little de-saturation if you're going for spot on WoW style, but if not then the brighter style works just fine.

This fanart from Bobo really nailed the muscle def. Good example of what I mean.

E.g. Bliz_BoBo_Orc02.jpg

I gotta say after doing a bunch of sub 500 tri low poly work makes me realised how good top hand painted artists are :| Damn talented bastards :D
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is very...inspiring....i have ideas now
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius: thanks man - torchlight ? *goes to google*
    Sirdelita: thanks im going to try harder with my next one, im very much a noob painter!
    Acid.: Thanks dude, i agree some colour variations would really help bring things out, ill try harder with my next one!

$!nz: Im not sure man, but hes awesome lol - Skarguls back definately needs some love!

Raider: couldnt agree with you more man, low poly + handpaint is the pinnacle of artistry for me now, im hoping to get there one day!!

[SF]Three9: haha im glad!....... I hope ?! *eye twitches*
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Looking ace man, really like the clean feel of it, do agree with some of the crits about the muscle definition.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH: Thanks man I'll try get in there alot more for the next character!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    How rude; posting BoBo's work in someone else's thread. ;)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    www dot torchlightgame dot com

new dungeon crawler coming out. there's a polycounter working on it i believe. im excited for it great art style

edit: im dying to see wires on this!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skargul_Grimgut___WOW_Fanart_3_by_HyperDivine.jpg

Heres the wires and tpose before i rigged him up!

Slipsius: Thanks man i found it - that games looks so AWESOME! haha im honored you though this guy was along the same style man!! sweeeeeet!
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    didn't expect him to be so blocky. IMO you did a very good job at balancing out the scale of detail between the model and texture (with texture having the most weight obviously).

Can't even tell in the textured renders how the organic shapes actually look in 3D, good job :)

I do see a few places in the wires where it seems like there are faces that really do no detail though that could be taken away. Not really enough of those that would really change the polycount all that much though, so I suppose it doesnt totally matter