Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Business Tech!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Heorogar polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone. I just wanted to post some concept art for a model I am currently starting. I should have some wireframes to show you tomorrow. I really hope you guys like the design/idea of the model.

A good friend of mine drew this for me. We wanted to do a pseudo Meet the Robinson to a Team Fortress 2 kinda feel. I have never done such a cartoony character so this should be a challenge for me. If anyone has any tips for doing a more stylized character or if anyone has any knowledge of how to go about cartoony eyes please let me know.

Thanks for looking at my thread and I look forward to showing you my Work In Progress later in the evening.

Front_ortho.jpg.jpeg

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    this sould be interesting! tottaly like the 3/4 shot
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm i like where this is going. nice concept

-Woog
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone likes Milt Kahl's hands. =) The 3/4 concept is awesome, I love it. I would go with Milt's hands over the one s in the front view.

I think you need to be mindful of the weight of the gauntlet and how it will animate while modeling. I wouldn't thicken him up too much because skinny characters always deform a little easier.

How are you planning on handling the tie? Model it into the torso or free floating with some special rigging?
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Haha i'm picturing this guys animation how your profile pic plays out vig :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha yea that would be fun. I have no clue what his backstory is but it looks like he was in a fight and is out to make sure that doesn't happen again?

He would be fun to animate...

On second look, you might want to flesh out the finger/knuckle joints a bit more, they're going to make up the bulk of the gauntlet when he makes a fist. I'm not really sure if those are sliding individual pieces of metal, kind of like aircraft flaps? Or something else?
  • Heorogar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the Tie im going to model it and I will throw some rig bones in there so Mike can hand animate the tie. We decided that trying to do a pseudo game cloth sim(like batmans cape in Arkham Asylum) would be a bit over kill.

The way i pictured him being animated is that 90% of the work is from the gauntlet. The nutshell version of this characters background is this. He's a computer engineer for a military contractor. Hes been working on a project called Abbadon and all he know is that hes working with AI systems. On his lunch break he does a little snooping even though he doesn't have the proper clearance, he really wants to know what Abbadon is. So he ends up finding the facility which is strangely not well guarded. Once he is in the area where Abbadon is being held he sees the gauntlet. Then thats when the sirens go off and in his surprise he accidently throws his hand in the gauntlet.

The Gauntlet is what makes this guy a unwilling hero. The gauntlet looks for trouble and forces him to be a hero. Like for example is he sees a old lady getting mugged the gauntlet since it over powers his leads him like a ragdoll and makes him fight the mugger. It also helps him vault cover, for example instead of just going behind cover then doing a military vault over the gauntlet will slam on the ground and throw his body over. Also the gauntlet protects him by sensing electrical impulses in the surroundings and if it feels that bullets are about to be expelled from a fire arm it will throw its self in front of him and release a small barrier since the guy is a weak puny human. but the shield only lasts for so long.

We wanted to do a more unwilling hero. Well Im glad yall like this so far. Time to go back to work and ill post some WIP soon.
  • Heorogar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I just started this model and I would really like some input. I know theres not much to critique but I really want to get his torso forms correct. If any one can do a paint over that would be much appreciated. Well talk to yall later Ill be sure to post more later today. BtechForms.jpg